Law School Discussion

UPenn ASW 2007

Re: UPenn ASW 2007
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2007, 09:55:33 PM »

They filmed part of Rocky Balboa at the Irish Pub.  Not a fan, myself.

But it's perfect when you get the beer munchies late at night.  ;)

My fave is the Walnut Room, because there's dancing, and b/c you can pop down to Alfa for a change of pace.  And, if you like girly drinks, the Veruca Salt is delish!  Simpson Thacher took us there for a firm event after-party.  :)

Guys, seriously, these law firm events are sooo awesome.  This week there's one at the planetarium, and next week Ropes & Gray is hosting at Barclay Prime.  We are SO spoiled.

nerfco

• U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2007, 10:27:45 PM »
I am now officially going to Penn's ASW. Received my passport today, and booked my flights (2 connections, ugh!) to Philly. It'll be my first ASW too. I'm excited!

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2007, 10:04:33 AM »

They filmed part of Rocky Balboa at the Irish Pub.  Not a fan, myself.

But it's perfect when you get the beer munchies late at night.  ;)

My fave is the Walnut Room, because there's dancing, and b/c you can pop down to Alfa for a change of pace.  And, if you like girly drinks, the Veruca Salt is delish!  Simpson Thacher took us there for a firm event after-party.  :)

Guys, seriously, these law firm events are sooo awesome.  This week there's one at the planetarium, and next week Ropes & Gray is hosting at Barclay Prime.  We are SO spoiled.

mmm...barclay prime is sweet. for those new yorkers out there-- Gachot and Gachot does the steaks (at least the ribeye)... ala Peter Lugers. Make sure Ropes & Gray hooks up the 100$ cheesesteak. we'll see just how spoiled you are. its not mind-blowing, but its cool to say you had a 100$ cheesesteak ;) Kobe sliders (according to Alan richman its #5 best burger in the country*) and butter poached lobster are awesome. Go for as big a wine as possible. smores for dessert-- with housemade peanutbutter icecream and marshamllow. amazing.

One of my best friends in town is a food writer. Reading over what I just wrote, it appears Ive been spending too much time with her lately. sorry.

*best burgers source http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200602/tows_past_20060228_c.jhtml

Saja

• Into enemy territory...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2007, 11:46:32 AM »
I am now officially going to Penn's ASW. Received my passport today, and booked my flights (2 connections, ugh!) to Philly. It'll be my first ASW too. I'm excited!

Congrats!  I'll also be coming down from the Great White North. 

A side note, these 1L receptions sound, and excuse my banal language, really cool.  Is it wrong that at the moment this kind of stuff is what I'm most looking forward to about law school?

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2007, 12:58:54 PM »

A side note, these 1L receptions sound, and excuse my banal language, really cool.  Is it wrong that at the moment this kind of stuff is what I'm most looking forward to about law school?

Like you should be looking forward to learning all about Torts? No, pumpkin. And if it is, I don't want to be right.

Saja

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2007, 01:25:42 PM »

Like you should be looking forward to learning all about Torts? No, pumpkin. And if it is, I don't want to be right.

Excellent.  I'll keep my vision of law school as one big cocktail party alive, in that case, at least until the first day of class.;)

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2007, 01:52:05 PM »
That's the plan on my end! One of the hidden benefits of a T14. Like, seriously.

m1

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2007, 01:52:15 PM »
I just got accepted to Penn today by phone- I won't receive my packet for a few days, so I don't know anything about the ASW and anything regarding it that I should know.  anyone mind filling me in?  places to stay, etc?

edit: as you can tell, i'm still nearly shaking from excitement (thus this poorly articulated post)

Saja

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2007, 02:42:29 PM »
I just got accepted to Penn today by phone- I won't receive my packet for a few days, so I don't know anything about the ASW and anything regarding it that I should know.  anyone mind filling me in?  places to stay, etc?

edit: as you can tell, i'm still nearly shaking from excitement (thus this poorly articulated post)

Congrats on your acceptance!  If you log onto the admitted students website (PM me for username and password...I'd give it out here but maybe that's some breech of contract? haha) there's a schedule of events.  They start unofficially Thursday night with some bowling at 7pm.  The official schedule starts Friday morning and continues through Saturday morning.  They have a mix of "educational" stuff like career service panels and mock classes, as well as social stuff like going out to dinner and a trolley tour of Philly.  You can stay with a student host, and they also provide a list of nearby hotels.

Incidentally, has anyone gotten word of who they're staying with/ confirmation that Penn knows you're attending, etc?

stjobs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2007, 02:44:41 PM »
Nope. No confirmation after doing the form on their site.