Re: UPenn ASW 2007
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2007, 05:41:13 PM »
how do the dorms suck?

Team Pam

• "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2007, 06:06:06 PM »
Im a 0L who has lived in philly for 3 years. all of them above 21y/o (yes, bit of a non-trad). I cant tell you much about the law school yet, obviously, but I am a gastronome and can defintiely tell you about the food/bev sitch.

The booze laws are not prohibitive at all. yeah--you have to buy hard alcohol from state stores, but they are all over the place. plenty of convenience stores with beer. a couple sweet boutiques in center city that have amazing beer seelctions from all over the country. because the state buys wine in such bulk they get great prices and offer "chairman's selections" at great discounts. and moore brothers is right accross the delaware river. renowned wine store. inventory selected from craft wineries in france/italy, shipped at 56 degrees so as to not compromise the integrity of the wine. it'd be like getting a cold Smuttynose or a Blue Paddle in Rome.   

Ill be living in center city as a 1L, and would definitely recommend it. its very easy to get to campus-- free shuttles, quick bus rides, trolleys etc. center city is walkable and safe. its not like saying there is a great beer boutique in manhattan. if its in center city, you can walk to it.

and yes.. the BYOs are amazing, they have to be, as they arent making a dime on booze and the food has to speak for itself. and my gf runs a couple restaurants (non-byos) in town. pint and house wine discounts are in order at orientation :)

Ooooh, which restaurants? Also, I'll be at the ASW but sleeping at home. It's my mom's b-day that weekend--convenient.

dash, I so want to meet you!  You can still go drinking even if you're staying at home, right?

Saja

• Into enemy territory...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2007, 06:16:53 PM »
how do the dorms suck?

Well, after living off campus at my ug for three years, I couldn't go back to not having a living room to just relax.  The two person apartments consist of two small bedrooms off of a small kitchen (with room for a small table and chairs, but nothing else) with a bathroom.  They are very convenient, but I would be too depressed living in that sort of environment.

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2007, 06:26:57 PM »
and my gf runs a couple restaurants (non-byos) in town. pint and house wine discounts are in order at orientation :)

how 'bout for us 2Ls-to-be this summer?  ;)

depends on how good a mentor you are ;)

she's actually looking to set something up for orientation, not ASW. and Ill make "formal" announcements in a special thread. in the meantime, if anyone is looking for an awesome burger or salad, a nice linup of drafts and some great wines by the glass-- devil's alley-- 19th and chestnut. we'll make it the Penn law class of 2010 (and ...why not... 2009) home bar. Ill be wearing the phillies hat.

The Pookie

• the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
    • For Inquiring Minds - LSN
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2007, 08:25:51 PM »
and my gf runs a couple restaurants (non-byos) in town. pint and house wine discounts are in order at orientation :)

how 'bout for us 2Ls-to-be this summer?  ;)

depends on how good a mentor you are ;)

she's actually looking to set something up for orientation, not ASW. and Ill make "formal" announcements in a special thread. in the meantime, if anyone is looking for an awesome burger or salad, a nice linup of drafts and some great wines by the glass-- devil's alley-- 19th and chestnut. we'll make it the Penn law class of 2010 (and ...why not... 2009) home bar. Ill be wearing the phillies hat.

*slobber*

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2007, 08:53:55 PM »
Im a 0L who has lived in philly for 3 years. all of them above 21y/o (yes, bit of a non-trad). I cant tell you much about the law school yet, obviously, but I am a gastronome and can defintiely tell you about the food/bev sitch.

The booze laws are not prohibitive at all. yeah--you have to buy hard alcohol from state stores, but they are all over the place. plenty of convenience stores with beer. a couple sweet boutiques in center city that have amazing beer seelctions from all over the country. because the state buys wine in such bulk they get great prices and offer "chairman's selections" at great discounts. and moore brothers is right accross the delaware river. renowned wine store. inventory selected from craft wineries in france/italy, shipped at 56 degrees so as to not compromise the integrity of the wine. it'd be like getting a cold Smuttynose or a Blue Paddle in Rome.   

Ill be living in center city as a 1L, and would definitely recommend it. its very easy to get to campus-- free shuttles, quick bus rides, trolleys etc. center city is walkable and safe. its not like saying there is a great beer boutique in manhattan. if its in center city, you can walk to it.

and yes.. the BYOs are amazing, they have to be, as they arent making a dime on booze and the food has to speak for itself. and my gf runs a couple restaurants (non-byos) in town. pint and house wine discounts are in order at orientation :)

Ooooh, which restaurants? Also, I'll be at the ASW but sleeping at home. It's my mom's b-day that weekend--convenient.

dash, I so want to meet you!  You can still go drinking even if you're staying at home, right?

But of course, mon amie. In fact, it's easier: I get sloshed and call my dad for chauffeur service. Then I sit in the backseat and tell him when to change the radio station.

The Pookie

• the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
    • For Inquiring Minds - LSN
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2007, 09:03:16 PM »

But of course, mon amie. In fact, it's easier: I get sloshed and call my dad for chauffeur service. Then I sit in the backseat and tell him when to change the radio station.

your dad is much cooler than mine...he'd just get pissed at me and leave me at the bar to sober up.

"ladies don't get drunk!"

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2007, 09:05:35 PM »

your dad is much cooler than mine...he'd just get pissed at me and leave me at the bar to sober up.

"ladies don't get drunk!"

He's pretty rocking. I think I just have to warn him, probably. He usually just laughs at me when I get drunk enough to boot, except for the time I broke my teeth (very long and unpleasant story).

He might tell me that ladies don't get drunk, but then we would both agree that I am not a lady. Woot.

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2007, 12:04:52 PM »

actually, i think we had an orientation event there last year! 

i heard before that the "official" law school bar was the irish pub, but really there's too many good places to choose just one.  now that law firm recruiting is in full swing, we're at continental at least once a week for free booze and apps.  :)

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2007, 04:41:09 PM »

actually, i think we had an orientation event there last year! 

i heard before that the "official" law school bar was the irish pub, but really there's too many good places to choose just one.  now that law firm recruiting is in full swing, we're at continental at least once a week for free booze and apps.  :)

They filmed part of Rocky Balboa at the Irish Pub.  Not a fan, myself.