Law School Discussion

UPenn ASW 2007

Saja

• Into enemy territory...
    • View Profile
Re: UPenn ASW 2007
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2007, 04:03:36 PM »
I just realised I might not be able to make ASW, due to my stinking job double-scheduling vacation time.  >:(  Since I'm the jr person I might have to change mine.  Towelie, is ASW that much better than Penn Preview???

That's too bad to hear Moni. :(

FWIW, I went to Penn Preview before Columbia, and although I did think it was good, I thought that actually going to CLS's ASW made a lot of difference in terms of getting a "feel" of the school and the area.  (In fact so much so that I decided it necessary to go back to Penn for the ASW to give it an equal shot, so to speak.)  So, my advice would be to go to ASW if at all possible, but certainly it's still worth it go to Penn Preview if that's your only option and you're serious about the school.

Saja, which class are you taking?  I hear you're a gunner.  ;)

Oh yeah, that's me, big time gunner.;)  I believe I signed up for the criminal law class, but I'm not 100% sure. 

Moni- There were only about 15-20 people at the Penn Preview I went to, which was good and bad.  Good because a lot of our questions were answered, but bad in that there weren't a lot of prospective students to talk to.  It started with a continental breakfast and then opening remarks by the Dean of Admissions (Renee Post).  We had a "tour" of the law school, which was pretty brief, and also later a tour of the Penn campus and grad dorm.  The tours were quite informal, though.  We also sat in on a real criminal law class, which seemed fine although I didn't really "get" much of what was being discussed.  Lunch was pretty long, and I got to talk to admitted students, current students, and a prof, which was helpful.  (One of the profs at lunch told us why we shouldn't go to pretty much every school in the T14 minus HYS.)  After lunch, there were short career service, public interest, and current student panels, which in a way were more helpful than Columbia's because they were smaller and it was easy to ask questions.

The day ended with a "cocktail" reception, which really wasn't a cocktail reception at all because there were no cocktails!  (Columbia's was head and shoulders above ;))  I also talked to a few current students (not associated with Penn Preview) who were very excited because they just handed in a 25 page brief and were enjoying a complementary keg to celebrate.  They were all very nice.  (They also were adamant, when I told them I was considering CLS, about how miserable kids were there. :-\)  Oh, also, I may have mentioned this to you, but I talked to Renee Post about financial aid, and while she said that Penn doesn't match, she certainly gave me the impression that they take comparable offers seriously.

Overall, I really liked Penn.  I felt comfortable there, and going in it was my #1 choice.  It still would be if I hadn't like CLS so much.  To me, one of the biggest drawbacks is the housing situation (Center City seems like the coolest place to live, but it's a 20-25 minute walk, which isn't so cool.  And I hated the dorms.)  Still, you can get a comparable place in Center City for about the same price as CLS's (subsidized) housing, and it does seem like an awesome place to live, especially for 2L and 3L year, I'm just not sure about 1L.  Also, I don't know if the small class size and what I perceived to be a more "coddling" atmosphere compared to CLS, for instance, is a positive or negative for me, but that's a personal choice.  I didn't like how a lot of the people I met were so "down" on other schools.  Inferiority complex?;)  I'm really looking forward to ASW, though, to get a clearer sense of the school, student body, and surrounding area.  I have a lot of personal reasons for choosing Penn, so it's definitely a big possibility I'll end up there.

On another note-- thanks for the BYO article.  I love BYO's.  This is definitely a point in Penn's favor. :D

The Pookie

• the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
    • For Inquiring Minds - LSN
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2007, 07:06:31 PM »
BYOs = good for law students

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/06/AR2007030600285.html

Pennsylvania may have the worst liquor laws of any state in the US (but I can't speak with certainly about any state outside the East Coast).

FYI, and almost completely off-topic, the best restaurant in Pennsylvania ("Sammy's" in Harrisburg, right across the capital building, make sure you have a reservation) is BYOB.

i've heard that as well...care to explain why? I obviously need to learn more about liqour laws, but i like to have a nightcap now and then...

i know you can't buy beer at the grocery stores...but other than that, what makes it so bad?

The Pookie

• the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2007, 08:09:34 PM »
BYOs = good for law students

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/06/AR2007030600285.html

Pennsylvania may have the worst liquor laws of any state in the US (but I can't speak with certainly about any state outside the East Coast).

FYI, and almost completely off-topic, the best restaurant in Pennsylvania ("Sammy's" in Harrisburg, right across the capital building, make sure you have a reservation) is BYOB.

i've heard that as well...care to explain why? I obviously need to learn more about liqour laws, but i like to have a nightcap now and then...

i know you can't buy beer at the grocery stores...but other than that, what makes it so bad?

The main reason is because there are no truly independent liquor stores. There are "beverage stores" that can sell beer and other light drinks, but to get hard liquor you have to go to a store that is controlled by the state. It seems like a minor thing, but it ends up having far-reaching effects: poor selection, poor service, wacky pricing, etc. Not to mention all those fantastic online wine sites CANNOT ship to Pennsylvania due to the laws.

Also: there is an insane markup on prices in those state stores. I remember reading somewhere that its a markup of more than 80%. Most people just drive to another state (i.e., Delaware or Maryland) to get their alcohol.

That being said, there are a couple great microbreweries in the state. But it doesn't make up for everything else.

bah, makes me miss Oregon, where you can get wine and beer at the grocery store....and oregon has some pretty damn good wine (very underrated).

This makes me unhappy, but thanks for the info...

Team Pam

• "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2007, 08:35:37 PM »
Pookie, it's not so bad.  If I'm there, I'll definitely have a car and we can make alcohol runs to New Jersey.  :)

I actually was living in Philadelphia right after my 21st birthday, and when I went to make my first legal alcohol purchase, the woman at the state-run store didn't even card me.  It was so disappointing.  And yet I did get carded every time I bought cigarettes at Wawa.  Go figure.

The Pookie

• the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2007, 08:59:36 PM »
Pookie, it's not so bad.  If I'm there, I'll definitely have a car and we can make alcohol runs to New Jersey.  :)

I actually was living in Philadelphia right after my 21st birthday, and when I went to make my first legal alcohol purchase, the woman at the state-run store didn't even card me.  It was so disappointing.  And yet I did get carded every time I bought cigarettes at Wawa.  Go figure.

haha the same thing happened to me - i went to this asian resturant (bad idea, considering...) for my birthday and ordered a smurf, and did not get carded.

just to make it clear, i do look like i'm 14 (it's a size thing and i'm not much of a makeup gal)

Towelie

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2007, 09:26:12 PM »
Saja,

A lot of people here picked Penn over at least one of NYU/Chicago/CLS (not the majority, but a good number) and they probably just felt like telling you why. Obviously, we spoke about this before regarding the teacher because I think insulting other schools is a terrible way to convince people that you love your experience, but I know a lot of people here who picked Penn over CLS/Chicago/NYU just because there was something about Penn they loved.

Obviously, the atmosphere at every law school is different and really you should pick the school that feels right for you (assuming job options coming from the schools are similar and money is also similar). I can only apologize again because I think it is in poor taste to insult other schools - much less ones of Columbia's quality. True, the atmosphere of the school may not have been the right fit for people who chose Penn over it, but that doesn't mean it might not be the right fit for you.

Either way, you have great choices ahead of you! I'll see you at ASW  :D

Saja

• Into enemy territory...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2007, 07:37:37 AM »
^^^
Thanks Towelie, I'm looking forward to it!  I don't really think a lot of people at Penn go around dissing other schools all the time.  Maybe it's something I kind of expected they would do, so I looked for it?  I dunno.  This time I'm going to come in with an open mind and no expectations, and hopefully Penn will impress.:)

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2007, 01:17:33 PM »
Im a 0L who has lived in philly for 3 years. all of them above 21y/o (yes, bit of a non-trad). I cant tell you much about the law school yet, obviously, but I am a gastronome and can defintiely tell you about the food/bev sitch.

The booze laws are not prohibitive at all. yeah--you have to buy hard alcohol from state stores, but they are all over the place. plenty of convenience stores with beer. a couple sweet boutiques in center city that have amazing beer seelctions from all over the country. because the state buys wine in such bulk they get great prices and offer "chairman's selections" at great discounts. and moore brothers is right accross the delaware river. renowned wine store. inventory selected from craft wineries in france/italy, shipped at 56 degrees so as to not compromise the integrity of the wine. it'd be like getting a cold Smuttynose or a Blue Paddle in Rome.   

Ill be living in center city as a 1L, and would definitely recommend it. its very easy to get to campus-- free shuttles, quick bus rides, trolleys etc. center city is walkable and safe. its not like saying there is a great beer boutique in manhattan. if its in center city, you can walk to it.

and yes.. the BYOs are amazing, they have to be, as they arent making a dime on booze and the food has to speak for itself. and my gf runs a couple restaurants (non-byos) in town. pint and house wine discounts are in order at orientation :)

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2007, 05:12:49 PM »
and my gf runs a couple restaurants (non-byos) in town. pint and house wine discounts are in order at orientation :)

how 'bout for us 2Ls-to-be this summer?  ;)

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2007, 05:28:08 PM »
Im a 0L who has lived in philly for 3 years. all of them above 21y/o (yes, bit of a non-trad). I cant tell you much about the law school yet, obviously, but I am a gastronome and can defintiely tell you about the food/bev sitch.

The booze laws are not prohibitive at all. yeah--you have to buy hard alcohol from state stores, but they are all over the place. plenty of convenience stores with beer. a couple sweet boutiques in center city that have amazing beer seelctions from all over the country. because the state buys wine in such bulk they get great prices and offer "chairman's selections" at great discounts. and moore brothers is right accross the delaware river. renowned wine store. inventory selected from craft wineries in france/italy, shipped at 56 degrees so as to not compromise the integrity of the wine. it'd be like getting a cold Smuttynose or a Blue Paddle in Rome.   

Ill be living in center city as a 1L, and would definitely recommend it. its very easy to get to campus-- free shuttles, quick bus rides, trolleys etc. center city is walkable and safe. its not like saying there is a great beer boutique in manhattan. if its in center city, you can walk to it.

and yes.. the BYOs are amazing, they have to be, as they arent making a dime on booze and the food has to speak for itself. and my gf runs a couple restaurants (non-byos) in town. pint and house wine discounts are in order at orientation :)

Ooooh, which restaurants? Also, I'll be at the ASW but sleeping at home. It's my mom's b-day that weekend--convenient.