Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I want to punch GWU in the face  (Read 1796 times)

zephyr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I want to punch GWU in the face
« on: February 13, 2007, 10:05:16 PM »
Why the hell do schools (GWU and GULC for example) have their own f-ing financial aid forms?? You're asking me the same damn questions I answered on my need access (15 bucks, thanks) or CSS profile (23 bucks, double thanks)! Not to mention I've already done a goddamn FAFSA! Am I applying to be an attorney or a CPA?

I am particularly annoyed with GW's form right now. First of all, it's a bad PDF that you have to type in, but it doesn't have neat boxes for you to easily tab to. You also can't save it, so I guess it has to be sent in snail mail. On top of this, they are asking how much I expect to take out in loans for the 2007-2008 school year. Hmmm...why the @#!* do you think I'm filling the damn thing out!?  >:(
Jim McAllister: Larry, we're not electing the f-ing Pope here. Just tell me who won. -Election

suge

• View Profile
Re: I want to punch GWU in the face
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 05:28:36 PM »
Why the hell do schools (GWU and GULC for example) have their own f-ing financial aid forms?? You're asking me the same damn questions I answered on my need access (15 bucks, thanks) or CSS profile (23 bucks, double thanks)! Not to mention I've already done a goddamn FAFSA! Am I applying to be an attorney or a CPA?

I am particularly annoyed with GW's form right now. First of all, it's a bad PDF that you have to type in, but it doesn't have neat boxes for you to easily tab to. You also can't save it, so I guess it has to be sent in snail mail. On top of this, they are asking how much I expect to take out in loans for the 2007-2008 school year. Hmmm...why the @#!* do you think I'm filling the damn thing out!?  >:(

Hilarious

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 05:31:24 PM »
they are asking how much I expect to take out in loans for the 2007-2008 school year. Hmmm...why the @#!* do you think I'm filling the damn thing out!?  >:(

I was going into a rage over the same thing...

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 10:28:08 PM »
You can add HLS and UVA to the list of schools with redundant finaid forms.
Yale.Law.School.2010

h2xblive

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 05:08:19 PM »
Are we using different PDFs? I'm tabbing and saving in mine... I got it at the below link. Maybe my version of Acrobat is different?

http://ssl.law.gwu.edu/finaidforms/Form.pdf

Are you using Adobe Acrobat Pro?  The expensive program (not the free Reader) let's you save and modify the PDF.

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 06:47:17 PM »
Completely agree.  Not to mention that I have to have my parents give me all their tax information, despite the fact that I am 27 years old and have been financially independent of them since high school.  Ridiculous.  I MAKE MORE MONEY THAN THEY DO FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!

I'm 27 too.  Do I need to give my parents' info on the FAFSA too or just for the individual school fin aid forms?  I got the impression that I don't have to do it for FAFSA.  How do they handle it if you only have one parent?  I wish I had a rich uncle.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jalong

Saints: Rutgers ($$$), NYU ($)
Sinners:
Saveables: Columbia (WL), Harvard (Deferred -> WL), Penn (WL), Georgetown (Preferred WL), Yale (WL)

Looks like:  NYU '10

zephyr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 02:09:49 PM »
I just sent an e-mail off to GWU with some questions. I will post their reply.
Jim McAllister: Larry, we're not electing the f-ing Pope here. Just tell me who won. -Election

mumbling2myself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 02:13:18 PM »
I just sent an e-mail off to GWU with some questions. I will post their reply.

Was the subject, "I want to punch you in the face?"

bwilliamsdc

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 06:51:57 PM »
Questions I asked, in case it helps anyone:

1) If I only have one address, do I have to fill out all the other fields aside from permanent? (No.)

2) If I'm PT, it says I have to take 1 summer semester, so should I put Aug or May 2011 graduation date? (May.)

3) For PT people, it's 10 credits per semester, right? (Yes.)

4) Most websites put max Stafford at $18,500 but all your literature says max $20,500, what's the deal? (They changed the law -- effective July '07, you can borrow a larger unsubsidized Stafford of $10,000).

5) If I'm trying for a grant, but don't know if I'm going to get anything, should we put down how much we'd borrow in the various loans if we DIDN'T get it? (Yes, though grants always assume that the full Stafford will first be taken -- after that, they'll reduce your PLUS or private loan estimate by the amount of the grant).

6) If I'm a salaried employee, do you just want me to divide my salary by 52 and assume summer means 12 weeks and the rest is 40 weeks? (Yes.)

zephyr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 10:05:53 AM »
My Qs:

Questions 14 and 15 apply to the loans for which I will submit applications. At this point I do not know how much money I will need to borrow for law school. How should I answer these questions?

Question 16 asks which college I will attend in 2007-2008. Since I am currently undecided, should I just leave this blank?

GWU:

I'd hang onto the whole form until you know you're attending GW law for sure.  At that point, you'll hopefully have had a fin. aid decision from us, and will know your eligibility for loans.  Most upperclassmen ask for the max., and wait for us to reduce their loans down to budget, depending on what GW gives them.