Law School Discussion

Next rankings - predictions

• View Profile
Re: Next rankings - predictions
« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2007, 06:35:09 PM »
So if I say W is horrible, you're going to come back with "Osama is the enemy! W is the righteous representative of everyman!"?

Non sequitor?

me: the Red Sox spend too much.
you: the Yankees spend more!

me: W is evil
you: Osama is more evil!

(see the parallel yet?)

By comparison, Osama IS more evil. Once again, you're providing a false parallel, a fact to which you seem oblivious.

The question here is whether the Red Sox spending is in itself an evil qua the Red Sox. if the Red Sox did not exist, the same enmity would be directed at whoever the new 2nd-highest-spender was. The actual dollar amount spent is irrelevent to the "evil" you're alleging. Your objection is the the fact that one team or another is capable of pricing out the competition, which is in essence an objection to inequality of resources. The Red Sox cannot be held responsible for that, therefore they are not guilty of any infraction to equity, in and of themselves.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: March 07, 2007, 06:36:19 PM »
So if I say W is horrible, you're going to come back with "Osama is the enemy! W is the righteous representative of everyman!"?

Non sequitor?

(see the parallel yet?)

By comparison, Osama IS more evil. Once again, you're providing a false parallel, a fact to which you seem oblivious.

The question here is whether the Red Sox spending is in itself an evil qua the Red Sox. if the Red Sox did not exist, the same enmity would be directed at whoever the new 2nd-highest-spender was. The actual dollar amount spent is irrelevent to the "evil" you're alleging. Your objection is the the fact that one team or another is capable of pricing out the competition, which is in essence an objection to inequality of resources. The Red Sox cannot be held responsible for that, therefore they are not guilty of any infraction to equity, in and of themselves.

I'm an Orioles fan; Peter Angelos is evil. I don't understand why you can't admit the same about the Sox.

The only thing worse than a Sox fan is a Sox apologist.

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2007, 06:40:22 PM »
Red Sox claim populist ties not based on organizational poverty, but a solidly ethnic, working-class fan base and organizational history.

You brought up the "righteous representatives of everyman" in response to my complaints of the Red Sox spending money like there's no tomorrow. You can't say it was based on the fan base and try to use it to defend spending over $100M on an unproven Japanese pitcher.

It was based on the fan base ("everyman"). I don't think anybody should get $100 million dollars to play a game, anywhere, ever. But I don't blame the Red Sox for that injustice. They're just playing the market as it lies before them.

They're the ones (along with the Yankees) SETTING that market. They could spend a whole lot less if they wanted, but they up their payrolls, and those teams that can't follow are left behind (or swallowed up by MLB and moved to DC)

Once again, you're criticizing actors in a free market for acting as is demanded by the free market. Were the situations reversed, would any other team act differently (Veil of Ignorance applied)? If the NY Mets and the Chicago Cubs had budgets far in excess of any other MLB team, wouldn't they price-compete with eachother for the top draft players? And wouldn't they eventually bid eachother to prices out of reach of the rest of the league? Why or why not?

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2007, 06:43:17 PM »

Non sequitor?

(see the parallel yet?)

I'm an Orioles fan; Peter Angelos is evil. I don't understand why you can't admit the same about the Sox.

Peter Angelos IS evil. By admitting he is evil, you are simply admitting the truth. The Red Sox are NOT evil. For me to say that they were would be a terrible falsehood.

« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2007, 08:34:35 PM »

Non sequitor?

(see the parallel yet?)

Peter Angelos IS evil. By admitting he is evil, you are simply admitting the truth. The Red Sox are NOT evil. For me to say that they were would be a terrible falsehood.

RED SOX f-ing SUCK, I WIN.

/thread

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2007, 10:13:13 AM »
I hate to throw a monkey wrench in all of this high-falutin' reasoning, but California doesn't get credit for the Metrosexual.  Britain gets credit for the Metrosexual.  And even more importantly, on our side of the pond, NYC gets credit for the Metrosexual.  California isn't even home to the genesis of Queer Eye.  California =/= metrosexual, so it's food isn't inherantly metrosexual.  More importantly, if NYC is metrosexual, than NYC food is metrosexual, and beyond the aesthetic appeals of metrosexuality, we have some kickin' food.  HTH! :)

Thanks gengis. I was planning on working on that after D&T realized the Red Sox ARE evil.

Also, you never got your apology. I hate the Red Sox even more today than I did 2 days ago.

« Reply #136 on: March 09, 2007, 12:36:14 PM »
I pick American to make a big jump.

EDIT (after reading) : oh geez am i out of touch.  And all I can really say about baseball is cubs suck.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: March 09, 2007, 12:44:07 PM »
I pick American to make a big jump.

EDIT (after reading) : oh geez am i out of touch.  And all I can really say about baseball is cubs suck.

Thank you for the edit. I was worried for a second that you were going to unjack this thread.

Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 09, 2007, 01:01:52 PM »
who here is going to use the next rankings to decide where to go?

Not exclusively, but I definitely plan to take any movement into account.

« Reply #139 on: March 09, 2007, 05:53:59 PM »
who here is going to use the next rankings to decide where to go?

Not exclusively, but I definitely plan to take any movement into account.

Finally, back to subject...Somebody may have already mention this, but what's the word on the street about George Mason.  Will it continue its fast climb or stabilize?