Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NeedAccess -- Parent refuses to give information  (Read 3035 times)

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
NeedAccess -- Parent refuses to give information
« on: February 13, 2007, 05:56:56 PM »
Has anyone had experience with this? My stepfather (who I'm not even sure can be legally recognized as such, since he never legally adopted me) won't give his information. I've tried to persuade him, got my top choice school's financial aid office to send an e-mail answering his questions, but he still won't budge. Basically, he's a prick.

The only thing I can think of is to draft a letter stating that he refuses to give the info. and that he won't contribute anything to my education, and have the letter notarized.

Help please!
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

rugercaptain

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shirley, Probie, & Sarah--gone to Rainbow Bridge.
    • View Profile
Re: NeedAccess -- Parent refuses to give information
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 06:07:23 PM »
Has anyone had experience with this? My stepfather (who I'm not even sure can be legally recognized as such, since he never legally adopted me) won't give his information. I've tried to persuade him, got my top choice school's financial aid office to send an e-mail answering his questions, but he still won't budge. Basically, he's a prick.

The only thing I can think of is to draft a letter stating that he refuses to give the info. and that he won't contribute anything to my education, and have the letter notarized.

Help please!

A stepfather by definition does not adopt his spouse's children.  And he doesn't have to give you his financial information.

That being said, I think your idea to draft a letter explaining you cannot obtain that information and that he won't contribute is a good one.  Just curious though...do law schools need to know parents' financial info?  I thought once a student was done with UG a parent's financial status was irrelevant.   ???

rugercaptain 
Cleveland-Marshall 3L.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 06:10:28 PM »
Schools usually understand if a parent refuses to give the information. I think your idea is a good one, but you may want to send an accompanying letter explaining the situation further- e.g. he is your stepfather and as such doesn't feel like he has an duty to give that information.

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 06:12:39 PM »

Help please!

A stepfather by definition does not adopt his spouse's children.  And he doesn't have to give you his financial information.

That being said, I think your idea to draft a letter explaining you cannot obtain that information and that he won't contribute is a good one.  Just curious though...do law schools need to know parents' financial info?  I thought once a student was done with UG a parent's financial status was irrelevant.   ???

rugercaptain 

Absolutely he doesn't have to, and absolutely they need it for giving grants. Some say that if you're 30, they don't need it, but unfortunately, I'll only be 29 when I start law school. :(

Most schools I applied to require a completed NeedAccess. If you can't provide this information, then, basically, too bad.

If anyone has any actual experience with this, I'd appreciate your input. Yes, I've talked to financial aid offices; no, they're not as helpful as they need to be. All they say is that I'd need to file "supporting documentation" for my claim, whatever the hell this means. The only thing I could provide is the letter I proposed.
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 06:13:14 PM »
Schools usually understand if a parent refuses to give the information. I think your idea is a good one, but you may want to send an accompanying letter explaining the situation further- e.g. he is your stepfather and as such doesn't feel like he has an duty to give that information.

That's a good bit of advice. I was planning on including this information in the notarized letter.

However, unfortunately, they don't really understand. All the financial aid people I've talked to say that your chances at grants are greatly diminished if you can't provide the financials. They keep saying stuff like "dire circumstances" and stuff, and don't seem to think that my situation is dire enough.

How about this--I'm poor. Just look at how much I owe on student loans now. Look at my tax returns. C'mon, people, cut me some slack!

LSN</

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 06:19:47 PM »
This isn't the normal situation though- this man isn't your father. He signed up to marry your mother and not to take on paying for your education. I understand that many schools see parents as a source of a loan, but he is not your parent.

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 07:52:13 PM »
This isn't the normal situation though- this man isn't your father. He signed up to marry your mother and not to take on paying for your education. I understand that many schools see parents as a source of a loan, but he is not your parent.

This couldn't be more true... I just wish schools saw it this way. NeedAccess makes you specify "father" or "stepfather", so they obviously still consider him. It would be easy if I could just tell them that he gives me nothing, but apparently, they won't take me at my word.

LSN</

rugercaptain

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shirley, Probie, & Sarah--gone to Rainbow Bridge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 07:57:57 PM »
This couldn't be more true... I just wish schools saw it this way. NeedAccess makes you specify "father" or "stepfather", so they obviously still consider him. It would be easy if I could just tell them that he gives me nothing, but apparently, they won't take me at my word.

I'm glad that my parents are dead and I'm 45.   :o

rugercaptain
Cleveland-Marshall 3L.

////

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 07:58:07 PM »
explain to him that he may be right but he also will be responsible for your NOT getting any grants by not sharing his financial info - you and him can set it up so that you have no access to that information - explain that to him and maybe he will be more helpful

I took this route with my pops - though he didn't care about me seeing it (just moms)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 08:00:22 PM »
Why not just use your biological father's information?
Vanderbilt 2010