Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NeedAccess -- Parent refuses to give information  (Read 2933 times)

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: NeedAccess -- Parent refuses to give information
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 08:04:40 PM »
explain to him that he may be right but he also will be responsible for your NOT getting any grants by not sharing his financial info - you and him can set it up so that you have no access to that information - explain that to him and maybe he will be more helpful

I took this route with my pops - though he didn't care about me seeing it (just moms)

I have. He doesn't care. He's kind of a male private part.
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 08:05:19 PM »
Why not just use your biological father's information?

He's deceased. Actually, that's only my adoptive father, I don't even know my biological father.
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 08:14:25 PM »
Has anyone had experience with this? My stepfather (who I'm not even sure can be legally recognized as such, since he never legally adopted me) won't give his information. I've tried to persuade him, got my top choice school's financial aid office to send an e-mail answering his questions, but he still won't budge. Basically, he's a prick.

The only thing I can think of is to draft a letter stating that he refuses to give the info. and that he won't contribute anything to my education, and have the letter notarized.

Help please!

i put zeroes in the parental fields, and then wrote in the note section:  i'm 46, and my 84 year-old parents said that it is none of your damn business.

of course, you can be nicer than that.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 08:20:39 PM »
Has anyone had experience with this? My stepfather (who I'm not even sure can be legally recognized as such, since he never legally adopted me) won't give his information. I've tried to persuade him, got my top choice school's financial aid office to send an e-mail answering his questions, but he still won't budge. Basically, he's a prick.

The only thing I can think of is to draft a letter stating that he refuses to give the info. and that he won't contribute anything to my education, and have the letter notarized.

Help please!

i put zeroes in the parental fields, and then wrote in the note section:  i'm 46, and my 84 year-old parents said that it is none of your damn business.

of course, you can be nicer than that.

:D That is awesome. I wish I was just a little older.

LSN</

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 08:32:26 PM »
Hmm... if anyone is interested, I'm going to call NeedAccess tomorrow and ask them if I have to claim my stepfather. My parents file single (I don't know why, don't ask me), so this might be a possibility. I'll post the results tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

LSN</

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 09:36:29 AM »
Just include your mother's info and on the section where it asks about your father, write "deceased." That is the truth. Your legally adoptive father is deceased. Easy solution.
Vanderbilt 2010

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 01:29:06 PM »
Just include your mother's info and on the section where it asks about your father, write "deceased." That is the truth. Your legally adoptive father is deceased. Easy solution.

I wish it were that easy. I called NeedAccess and some schools, and they all said that my stepfather has to be included since he's in the same household as my mom.

On the bright side, I've convinced him to give the information required for NeedAccess, but he still won't budge on giving his tax forms. That's OK, though, I can come up with a solution for that when the time comes.

LSN</

knicksfan0323

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 03:21:18 PM »
I know what you mean - I have the same problem. One school that applied to said that they will need copies of my parents tax forms, including the divorced parents. My Dad is a total miser and has big big big bucks in the bank, but hasn't given me a penny in years. And he's a total freak about financial information so he would never give me a copy of his taxes.

Oh and I should mention that my Mom is disabled and lives with me & my husband. When I've been in dire straits before and asked him for  money (not even a lot, maybe like 200-300 bucks) he told me he wont help me because he doesn't want to "supplement my moms income."

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 03:24:24 PM »
I know what you mean - I have the same problem. One school that applied to said that they will need copies of my parents tax forms, including the divorced parents. My Dad is a total miser and has big big big bucks in the bank, but hasn't given me a penny in years. And he's a total freak about financial information so he would never give me a copy of his taxes.

Oh and I should mention that my Mom is disabled and lives with me & my husband. When I've been in dire straits before and asked him for  money (not even a lot, maybe like 200-300 bucks) he told me he wont help me because he doesn't want to "supplement my moms income."

That sucks big time. What are you going to do? Are you even going to try for grants, then?

LSN</

michelle d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 03:36:17 PM »
I empathize.  Unfortunately private schools have it set up so they can tap every conceivable avenue of money as otherwise nearly every student would have 100% financial need (which is why saying "(parent refuses to provide info/give money" never works).  My father also won't submit a lot of financial info (even if I and his ex-wife/my mom don't see it) so getting my forms done has been horrible.  And when it comes down to it, I'm not going to qualify anyway as he makes enough money that he is presumed capable of "loaning" me $50,000/year.  He's offered to help some unspecified amount, but it won't be $50,000 and even if it were, it renders me incapable of applying for a LRAP as that doesn't cover "EFC".

So I'm screwed, basically, because I really want to work for the government and good government jobs require going to a good school but don't pay wages high enough to pay for a good school.  If I don't get into a decent public school I'm SOL.
U of Chicago 2010.