Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Could I ask to be deferred off the WL if I get a Fulbright?  (Read 640 times)

maybe2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • Doesn't get any better than early 90s tv
    • View Profile
Could I ask to be deferred off the WL if I get a Fulbright?
« on: February 13, 2007, 03:24:06 PM »
I just received a letter telling me that I have made it to the next round.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it, so can I ask for deferred admission from the priority WL?  Has anyone heard of this happening before?
In: RU-C($), Loyola, Nova, Temple ($$), AU, Emory, WUSTL ($$), NDLS ($$), Wake, Case, GULC (PT), Fordham, Cardozo, Mason (PT)
WL/Def: NU, Duke, UVA, W&L, UVA, BC
Out: UMich, NYU, Boalt, UC-Davis, HLS, UofChicago, Columbia, UWash

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=maybe2007

bohemian_revolution

• Sr. Citizen
  • le fabuleux destin
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Could I ask to be deferred off the WL if I get a Fulbright?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 04:02:09 PM »
Can't help, but congrats on getting through. Where would you be going?

maybe2007

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 04:04:22 PM »
Thanks, Germany would be my country of study!  I'm kind of excited, but scared at the same time...I knew I shouldn't have applied to so many programs/schools.
In: RU-C($), Loyola, Nova, Temple ($$), AU, Emory, WUSTL ($$), NDLS ($$), Wake, Case, GULC (PT), Fordham, Cardozo, Mason (PT)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 04:05:03 PM »
I just received a letter telling me that I have made it to the next round.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it, so can I ask for deferred admission from the priority WL?  Has anyone heard of this happening before?

I hate to say it but I don't think this really makes a lot of sense.  Specifically, you'd be asking to defer "admission," which you haven't been granted if you're on the waitlist.  I think a much more reasonable approach would be to approach the school with news of your success with the Fulbright in the hopes that it'll push them to accept you (in that it makes you a more desirable candidate etc.)  Only after you're accepted could you even begin to discuss a deferral.

bohemian_revolution

• Sr. Citizen
  • le fabuleux destin
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 04:07:43 PM »
Thanks, Germany would be my country of study!  I'm kind of excited, but scared at the same time...I knew I shouldn't have applied to so many programs/schools.

Sounds fun! I'd take the Fulbright in a heartbeat, it'd look killer on a resume.

But yeah, worry about getting in to the school first. Maybe the news of the fellowship will give you the push you need.

maybe2007

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 04:08:45 PM »
Well yes this is what I meant (about deferring admission), but I wanted to know if I would be able to defer if I was offered admission off of the waitlist. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 04:10:53 PM »
Ah I see the confusion, I got your syntax a little mixed up.

In that case, yes, I'm pretty sure you can still defer if you are accepted off the waitlist, but...why not call the specific school or schools and ask?  I'm sure they'd be willing to help.

Also - definitely try to use the Fulbright as leverage to gain admittance to schools that may have deferred or waitlisted you so far.  It can only help.

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 04:12:40 PM »
Well yes this is what I meant (about deferring admission), but I wanted to know if I would be able to defer if I was offered admission off of the waitlist. 

i have a strong feeling that this would make a GREAT letter of continued interest. you'd have to word it right, but you could kill two birds with one stone: get an acceptance off the waitlist AND get deferred. I think Northwestern would be thrilled to add another Fulbright scholar to their class, even if it's a year later.

maybe2007

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 04:31:51 PM »
Well then I will have to craft an awesome letter!