Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What class are you taking that you wish you weren't?  (Read 753 times)

SilentSwirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Summer!
    • View Profile
What class are you taking that you wish you weren't?
« on: February 13, 2007, 11:49:35 AM »
Are you taking a class that you totally don't want to be in? These are so annoying!  Usually even when classes aren't wtihin my major I can suck it up and find something fun in them. But this semester I'm taking ...

... Catholic Apologetics!!!

And for the life of me I can't get into it. I'm supposed to be writing a paper on Blaise Pascal's Pensees, so instead I'm writing this post to keep me entertained.

Probably the other single worst "i dont CARE!" class had to be geology. omg.

ctg31

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What class are you taking that you wish you weren't?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 12:05:35 PM »
Electronic Materials.  A delicious blend of circuits, materials, and quantum physics.  Mmm, mmm, good.

keepup

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 12:59:08 PM »
Probably the other single worst "i dont CARE!" class had to be geology. omg.

Haha I know what you mean. Geology was so boring. I'm glad its over.

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 01:04:17 PM »
Intelligence & Homeland Security

It has the potential to be decent, but so far all of our texts have been as dry as possible.  The type of stuff that just puts you to sleep.  Instead of looking at the Cuban Missle crisis from an interesting strategic view we get "And then Kennedy did this...and then he did this...and then he did this..."  Our book on espionage was like a horrible family tree.  "Alice was married to Bob.  Bob was codename Boris. Boris worked at the paper mill.  The owner of the paper mill was married to Ethel.  Ethel once voted communist."  Get on with it!!

Although it just got interesting as we're looking now at government intelligence failures leading up to 9/11.  I imagine it will get quite heated pretty soon.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 01:05:15 PM »
Last semester it would have been two classes: Logic and Semantics

I learned my lesson this semester and made sure to only take classes I knew I would love, and so far, so good.
Yale.Law.School.2010

SilentSwirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 01:16:40 PM »
I'm sorry, but Catholic Apologetics has you all beat.

Boss, that was a pathetic attempt at 'awful class' status! But I guess I can commiserate about a prof that takes a potentially exciting class and makes it awful.

Mr Crane, believe me - I wouldn't be taking this class if it weren't absolutely necessary to make graduating in May possible. Ugh.

No one else has had awful classes?!?

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 01:19:34 PM »
What makes it pathetic is the fake-out of a great description followed by lamity-lame-lame.  And to top it off, it's a required course and always taught by the same prof.  Barftastic.

None of my classes are that horrible in theory.  The beauty of grad school is that you're done with general education and get to pick stuff that's just interesting and/or applicable.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

ctg31

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 01:26:37 PM »

Boss, that was a pathetic attempt at 'awful class' status! But I guess I can commiserate about a prof that takes a potentially exciting class and makes it awful.

Mr Crane, believe me - I wouldn't be taking this class if it weren't absolutely necessary to make graduating in May possible. Ugh.

Until you can tell me that Catholic Apologetics makes you learn quantum physics to describe the method in which Catholics apologize, I have no pity for you.

SilentSwirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 01:30:39 PM »
What makes it pathetic is the fake-out of a great description followed by lamity-lame-lame.  And to top it off, it's a required course and always taught by the same prof.  Barftastic.

None of my classes are that horrible in theory.  The beauty of grad school is that you're done with general education and get to pick stuff that's just interesting and/or applicable.

*giggle* You should totally put that in the class evaluation at the end of the semester.

Until you can tell me that Catholic Apologetics makes you learn quantum physics to describe the method in which Catholics apologize, I have no pity for you.

At least quantum physics would be exciting and challenging (okay, damn hard, but still)!

YOU try taking a class where the basic principles are:
- It is more reasonable to have religion than not to have it.
- Christianity is the best religion.
- Orthodox is the best of the Christianities.

??? :-[ >:( :-[ ???

ctg31

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 02:24:27 PM »
At least quantum physics would be exciting and challenging (okay, damn hard, but still)!

YOU try taking a class where the basic principles are:
- It is more reasonable to have religion than not to have it.
- Christianity is the best religion.
- Orthodox is the best of the Christianities.

??? :-[ >:( :-[ ???

Are you kidding?!  I would have a field day with that!!  From Wikipedia: "Because the exotic behaviors of matter posited by quantum mechanics and relativity theory only become apparent when dealing with extremely fast-moving or extremely tiny particles, the laws of classical "Newtonian" physics remain extremely accurate in predicting the behavior of virtually every object that a human being will encounter without the aid of a particle accelerator. Because the effects of quantum mechanics become less noticeable as the amount of matter increases, the point at which an aggregation of particles becomes more accurately described by classical physics than by quantum mechanics is known as the classical limit."  Challenging, yes... interesting, no.