Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting up to speed on Politics and the like  (Read 4494 times)

last light

• keep fading
    • View Profile
Re: Getting up to speed on Politics and the like
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2007, 05:30:46 PM »
I'll buy you a beer when you get back. We can talk, see what happens.
No more gods
No more graves
No more love
No more hate
No more heroes

rosco3059

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2007, 05:35:37 PM »
I am sure ole' D & D has been a past time with many benefits for him. However, I cannot imagine that it weilded to many lady friends for Last Night. Does Last Night stand for "Last Night as a anal virgin". I am only saying that becuase of his earlier comments.

dahova24

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2007, 05:49:56 PM »
Dude, I already got back! I get out of the Marines in a few months! Four years, not a lifetime! So you made an exception for me before huh? Grab a beer, well after your done grabbing your boyfriend!

And why do I need to have my mind changed? Is there something wrong with being pro-American? I wish Bush could run again just to piss all of you off! Like I said, Americans doing what they want freely is part of the "American dream" no? Is that not why other countries strive for many of the liberties we enjoy? It's like this commerical I saw, "America has problems, America is NOT the problem." Pretty much sums up what I believe.

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Regardless if your gay, or whatever. Enjoy being free!

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2007, 06:03:08 PM »
simmer down, marine.

i'm betting that you know very well that this war was a disaster, and that George Bush let you down.

i'm also betting that you are proud to have served and done your duty.

I'm proud of him for that.  Much respect.
Yale.Law.School.2010

dahova24

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2007, 06:15:05 PM »
simmer down, marine.

i'm betting that you know very well that this war was a disaster, and that George Bush let you down.

I'm not hot at all so I am actually quite cool. I think they all have let down the military. The war should have been won by now. It's not because it has not been executed properly. It's like the gloves never came off. It is a war, and the point of a war is to defeat the enemy. Look at Sadr, why was he not taken off the streets like Bremer had asked for years ago? Because this administration is trying to appease those who no matter what will not suppor it, and it has been at the cost of American and coalition lives. I really don't care for Bush, but he is a better alternative than Pelosi or Edwards, Clinton, Mitt, they all really suck.

So I guess I would say America as a whole has let me, or the troops down. Think about how many ribbons were on cars a few years ago, how many today? Does it mean that the general public now doesn't support them who knows, really who cares. When your in a street fight in Iraq public opinion really doesn't count for *&^%.

And I would say yes, I am proud. Regardless of reasons, justtifactions, mandates, whatever, Iraqi's were given an unpresidented oppurtunity when Sadaam fell. I don't think you can argue that. Now the chaos that has ensued can be partially attributed to American policy in Iraq, but if they weren't fighting us, or eachother, what could have happened or could happen. Look at Japan, Germany, we "occupied" them, they weren't blowing themselves up and sacrificing their families for jihad. This fight won't be won by us, it has to be won by Iraqi's for Iraqi's. Saying that, if we pack up and leave there will undoubtedly be more chaos and sectarian killing.

Either way we loose in essence. Still though, they had an oppurtunity to make a history as a free, democratic arab nation that could have set the stage for revelution in places like Iran. Instead, the whole region is a mess and will be so as it has since Jesus. What about the women who have rights? The girls who can go to school? Laws against killing your wife for adultury or other improvements to freedom we tried to bring to that country? Was it all for nothing, time will tell.

You must be done stroking your bf's crotch now that you are typing...  ;)

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2007, 06:19:17 PM »

[/quote]

Wow, how did you know what I was doing. That's a little creepy
UMiami c/o 2010

dahova24

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2007, 06:21:26 PM »
simmer down, marine.

I'm proud of him for that.  Much respect.

Thanks. Honestly, the widely viewed perception of the military of college folk is that most are degenerate spoiled pieces of *&^%. I think it really holds true for the most part. I know it not to be entirely true albeit that I left university right after the war started and sentiment has went south since then. It's important to remember that while one is protesting, marching, surfing the net that there is someone somewhere doing something to protect that freedom, and many have died over the last 225+ years to make sure that holds true.

dahova24

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2007, 06:23:37 PM »
See all know all or something...  :-X

attic4fp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2007, 06:25:11 PM »
There has been a lot of screwed up, crazy rhetoric from both sides in this silly argument.

That said, anyone who tells a Marine they hope he gets killed in Iraq has some serious thinking to do.

If you wrote something like that, I woudl edit it out and replace it with an apology.  You really undercut any claim that you care more about the country than Bush does if you wish death on an American soldier.  You also undercut any claim to reason, respect, intelligence, or pragmatism that liberals pride themselves on nowadays.

Those who made such comments are way out of line.

Funny little argument, though.

dahova24

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2007, 06:48:04 PM »

I'm not last light.

I'm not hot at all so I am actually quite cool. I think they all have let down the military. The war should have been won by now. It's not because it has not been executed properly. It's like the gloves never came off. It is a war, and the point of a war is to defeat the enemy. Look at Sadr, why was he not taken off the streets like Bremer had asked for years ago? Because this administration is trying to appease those who no matter what will not suppor it, and it has been at the cost of American and coalition lives. I really don't care for Bush, but he is a better alternative than Pelosi or Edwards, Clinton, Mitt, they all really suck.

So I guess I would say America as a whole has let me, or the troops down. Think about how many ribbons were on cars a few years ago, how many today? Does it mean that the general public now doesn't support them who knows, really who cares. When your in a street fight in Iraq public opinion really doesn't count for sh*t.

And I would say yes, I am proud. Regardless of reasons, justtifactions, mandates, whatever, Iraqi's were given an unpresidented oppurtunity when Sadaam fell. I don't think you can argue that. Now the chaos that has ensued can be partially attributed to American policy in Iraq, but if they weren't fighting us, or each other, what could have happened or could happen. Look at Japan, Germany, we "occupied" them, they weren't blowing themselves up and sacrificing their families for jihad. This fight won't be won by us, it has to be won by Iraqi's for Iraqi's. Saying that, if we pack up and leave there will undoubtedly be more chaos and sectarian killing.

Either way we loose in essence. Still though, they had an oppurtunity to make a history as a free, democratic arab nation that could have set the stage for revelution in places like Iran. Instead, the whole region is a mess and will be so as it has since Jesus. What about the women who have rights? The girls who can go to school? Laws against killing your wife for adultury or other improvements to freedom we tried to bring to that country? Was it all for nothing, time will tell.

So, do you think that someone in government should have thought ahead and imagined an effective response to the Iraq scenario that we have now?

Especially since its history of conflict and tensions between shi'a and sunni was not a big secret?  

Especially since it wasn't hard to imagine that jihadis and the Iranians would take advantage of the fall of Saddam to come in and cause trouble?

Do you think it's okay to gamble with the lives of american soldiers and iraqi civilians without having at least some idea of what you'll do when the 1st Marine Regiment rolls into Baghdad?

Yea I think that it should have been planned out better, but I guess who could predict exactly what would happen. Dismantaling the Iraqi army prolly diddn't help much. Alienating all the Baathist's and giving them a reason to fight prolly diddn't help. One could persume that shia and sunni would have fought, who could have known to what extent. The borders on all sides are so pourous how do you keep out foreign intervention I guess, Iran and Syria have stakes in Iraq as do Saudi and the rest of the region. I guess you can put Russia and China in it too, no one really want's us to succeed.

I think that it was a gamble that Iraq would embrace us, should have been forseen and was not. Definitely not responsible to invade without a good strategy from the onset, and not good adjusting on the fly either. No war is perfect I suppose, this one sure hasn't been.

Now the focus has to get the Iraqi's ready to take over asap. If we leave too soon how can we justify the loss of life? We have dug a hole, dig it deeper it might lead a better way out of just screw it up more, but I think the new plan seems to be working. More troops should have been added long ago but I think they wanted to avoid the Vietnam comparison at the peril of the troops who had take on more than they could handle. Not enough troops has been a cry of McCain for some time now, maybe Bush should have listened a year ago...