Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting up to speed on Politics and the like  (Read 4485 times)

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
Getting up to speed on Politics and the like
« on: February 13, 2007, 10:39:06 AM »
Alright, so I've spent the first 24 years of my life learning nothing about politics or anything related.  I don't even know what right/left wing means.  I don't know what liberals stand for, same goes for conservatives.  I know George Bush is our President, and I know most people don't like him, but I don't know why, other than the war in Iraq. 

Is there a decent source, or way I can learn about politics and what not?  It seems completely overwhelming by just searching Google with no direction.  I feel like I should have some understanding going into law school.

Thanks.
USD 2010

Work

Re: Getting up to speed on Politics and the like
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 10:41:27 AM »
You know, politics doesn't have much relevance for law school. You should learn about it if you're genuinely interested, but don't feel like you need to know about it to fit in.

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 10:44:17 AM »
You know, politics doesn't have much relevance for law school. You should learn about it if you're genuinely interested, but don't feel like you need to know about it to fit in.

Well, I just figured I need to eventually learn, and now would be a good time to start considering.
USD 2010

Work

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 10:48:27 AM »

Well, I just figured I need to eventually learn, and now would be a good time to start considering.

OK. I'd suggest reading the Washington Post and other reputable newspapers on a regular basis. That should give you a decent picture. Try to avoid talking to people lol.

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 11:19:49 AM »
For learning about the history of our politics, the best crash course book I ever came across is American Government by Marc Landy and Sidney Milkis (ISBN 0072383194). It's a book designed for use in a class, so it's not a fun read, but it is packed with historical info about out government.

I know I've got one or two books around here that are good for more contemporary understanding of politics and such, I'll have to look through my bookcase too see if I can find them (they may be at home) since I forget the titles.

For current politics, reading The Washington Post is the best way to go. Some people say the New York Times because they're a more "national" newspaper with more international coverage. The Washington Post is the best news source for politics as it concerns us (i.e., yes, their coverage of events in other country with no bearing on our country is a little light, but I don't think you're too interested in that...and neither am I if the source of info is the NYT).
Gas: UMD, W&M ($$), Wake Forest, Emory, GW, GMU
Clutch: Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA, AU (yield protect?), Duke, BC (Michigan told me no on 6/13 - Thank you MI for being courteous and letting me know)
Brakes: Gtown.
(3.23 169)

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 11:22:05 AM »
Can you subscribe to the WP online?
USD 2010

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 12:21:11 PM »
Can you subscribe to the WP online?

Yeah, it's free but it makes you do a little registration thing.

www.washingtonpost.com

Still, I like the paper version more, it just seems to stick better when I read it in print.
Gas: UMD, W&M ($$), Wake Forest, Emory, GW, GMU
Clutch: Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA, AU (yield protect?), Duke, BC (Michigan told me no on 6/13 - Thank you MI for being courteous and letting me know)
Brakes: Gtown.
(3.23 169)

TerribleTTTowel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 01:08:32 PM »
Just read Wikipedia.  It's a quick read with a lot of good info.  It's free, online, and the articles will link to other interesting articles and external sites as well.  Just be sure to remember it is Wikipedia.

michelle d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 04:34:52 PM »
The Daily Show.  And the Colbert Report.

And NPR/public radio and BBC world news (on the web at news.bbc.co.uk and on the radio  on most local NPR affiliates as well).  Both are going to give you a good amount of depth in a relatively less-biased manner and both are also more interesting than the Washington Post.  The Lehrer News hour is a good choice TV-wise, with nobody screaming over the table at one another.
U of Chicago 2010.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 04:49:02 PM »
Check out the Onion
Yale.Law.School.2010