Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CLS 1L Taking Questions re: prepping, LS in general, etc.  (Read 4140 times)

////

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: CLS 1L Taking Questions re: prepping, LS in general, etc.
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 10:22:38 PM »
tag

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 10:50:51 PM »
Do you think you are happy with your decision to attend Columbia? Do you ever say, "If only I had chosen ______ instead!"?

Basically I'm a warm weather, west coast kind of guy and I'm wondering if Columbia is worth the move. 

It'll be miserable for you. You'd better withdraw post haste. :) (more spots ?= spot for me... probably not)
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

Work

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 10:52:09 PM »
Do you think you are happy with your decision to attend Columbia? Do you ever say, "If only I had chosen ______ instead!"?

Basically I'm a warm weather, west coast kind of guy and I'm wondering if Columbia is worth the move. 

I am pretty happy. I think if UCLA or Pepperdine offered the same career opportunities as CLS did, I'd be there. But it doesn't. As for whether you would be happy in a cold weather east coast city, that's more of a personal decision. Right now, it's 20 degrees here and a "wintry mix". Some people just deal, others say "I hate this sht". I'm more in the second category. If CLS is the best school you got into, I'd say it's worth toughing it out for 3 years. All the big West Coast firms come here, recruit, and actually hire people, so you shouldn't worry about getting stuck out here if you do come.

Jackie Chiles, ESQ.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who told you to put the balm on?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2007, 12:58:41 AM »
you said you prepped with a book called PLS? what exactly is that, and did it help? you said you got b+ in all classes....

bobknob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2007, 02:18:02 AM »
Cool thread.

Work

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2007, 08:12:34 AM »
you said you prepped with a book called PLS? what exactly is that, and did it help? you said you got b+ in all classes....

Planet Law School. It's a book about law school. Basically the author thinks the secret to doing well in law school is to prep before school even starts by reading and working through problems in E&E study guides. I decided to do a little experiment and prep for CivPro and not prep for any other classes. I tried it and it didn't help, as you see, since I got the same grade in classes where I didn't prep as the one where I did. Here's why:

a) Your teacher will likely spend more time on some topic that is only glossed over or not discussed in the study guide. Prepping won't help you with respect to these topics.

b) Your teacher will probably focus on a certain aspect of a topic covered in the study guide that is not discussed in the study guide. Again, prepping doesn't help.

c) You forget what you've prepped.

d) Prepping doesn't help you make a good outline. Having a good outline you've made yourself is pretty important to doing well.

e) This isn't what the E&E is meant to do. It's not meant to give you an overview of the law; it's meant to supplement and clarify topics that were discussed in class, but are still unclear.

f) Most importantly, prepping doesn't at all help you write a superior exam. Law school grades are 100% based on the final exam. It's not about what or how much you know, but how well you write the exam. Learning about summary judgment or something in the June before isn't going to result in a better-written exam. The E&E doesn't show you how to write a good exam answer because the problems are too easy and too short, whereas law school exam questions are long and don't have a clear right answer.

Basically, I don't know if there is a fool-proof way to get straight A's in law school, at least not at a top school like CLS. I concede that prepping may work at a low-ranked school, I don't know. But I'd say there are ways to ensure you do reasonably well and don't end up at the bottom of the curve.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2007, 09:27:36 PM »
are ppl happy there?  i've heard that some people aren't.

i just got in today and i'm pretty stoked--but i'm so in love with Mich, that i'm not gonna ncessarily do the prestige whore route, especially since i already went to an ivy ug.
Columbia 3L

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2007, 09:53:10 PM »

i just got in today and i'm pretty stoked--but i'm so in love with Mich, that i'm not gonna ncessarily do the prestige whore route, especially since i already went to an ivy ug.

Congrats MCB! I hope you go... but if you decide not to anytime soon, please don't forget to withdraw! :)
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2007, 09:53:39 PM »

Congrats MCB! I hope you go... but if you don't, please don't forget to withdraw! :)

i won't forget...but withdrawing is a long way away  :D
Columbia 3L

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2007, 09:57:49 PM »

Congrats MCB! I hope you go... but if you don't, please don't forget to withdraw! :)

i won't forget...but withdrawing is a long way away  :D

Darn. :P Seriously, though, I know you've been wanting this one. From what I've heard from everyone here and otherwise, the people that aren't happy at CLS are the prestige whores who wanted Harvard.

LSN</