Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Why do you think you were Accepted, Rejected, Waitlisted or Deferred Thread  (Read 8536 times)

Data

• Sr. Citizen
  • They call me Data.
    • View Profile
Just an experiment for the benefit of those still waiting for decisions.  Let's see where it goes.

1.  Let's see 'em:  Put up your numbers

2.  Say the name of the school (Pick all, some or one- whatever you're interested in divulging)

3.  Put why you think your decision came out the way it did. 

4.  We get to argue with you if we don't agree.   :)

Hi, I'm Data.  And I'm a semi-splitter.  Semi because 3.2 doesn't suck, but a 4.0/165 from a top public in my opinion, would have produced much more solid results.  My Waitlist at Notre Dame, Deferral at UIUC and Boalt, and Boston College rejection, I feel, are all due to certain law schools placing a higher premium on undergraduate GPA than others.

All my other acceptances were what one might except, except for Michigan.  My take on why? 

I went to U of M for undergrad and am currently a Michigan resident, I'm diverse baby!, I wrote a WhyMich and Diversity statement, After being deferred I wrote a continued interest letter, I owned my own company and have an MBA from a decent school, and finally... I had a hard knock life (joking but nah, really not).  So... it could have been any or all of those factors combined. 

Yale 2010

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
on hold at ut because they're still holding a grudge from when a&m used to be able to beat them at football

/just sayin'

Data

• Sr. Citizen
  • They call me Data.
    • View Profile
on hold at ut because they're still holding a grudge from when a&m used to be able to beat them at football

/just sayin'

Heh, think I'll disagree/argue with that one.  Michigan and Ohio State have about as big a football rivalry as they come, and OSU has definitely shown me the love.  But then again, you never know what unique sets of bias individuals have.  If you think about it long enough the whole admissions process starts to look kind of unfair. 
Yale 2010

lawschoolgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
1. 169, 3.69

2. in at ucla, duke, michigan. waiting to hear from others.

3. ucla and duke- maybe my numbers were pretty decent for them.
   michigan - i'm guessing they liked my why michigan essay. On the acceptance letter
   they personally wrote 'ur interests fit with our school very well'

Data

• Sr. Citizen
  • They call me Data.
    • View Profile
1. 169, 3.69

2. in at ucla, duke, michigan. waiting to hear from others.

3. ucla and duke- maybe my numbers were pretty decent for them.
   michigan - i'm guessing they liked my why michigan essay. On the acceptance letter
   they personally wrote 'ur interests fit with our school very well'

Nice.  The acceptances from Michigan have a definite "I read everything about you and liked it" feel no?
Yale 2010

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
accepted at smu but no word on scholarship $$ yet (someone with my numbers got $15k per yr last cycle)

i totally pimped myself out on the why smu essay.
i'm currently in an engineering masters program at smu and want to do ip law.  i really focused on my work experience and mentioned what a great fit i'd be for one of their law reviews (journal of air law & commerce).

Data

• Sr. Citizen
  • They call me Data.
    • View Profile
accepted at smu but no word on scholarship $$ yet (someone with my numbers got $15k per yr last cycle)

i totally pimped myself out on the why smu essay.
i'm currently in an engineering masters program at smu and want to do ip law.  i really focused on my work experience and mentioned what a great fit i'd be for one of their law reviews (journal of air law & commerce).

Heh pimped it out eh?  Then call and get yer $$$!
Yale 2010

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
they haven't started releasing scholarship offers, but i'm expecting at least $15k

and i'm mailing in a scholarship app today for a private scholarship

Data

• Sr. Citizen
  • They call me Data.
    • View Profile
they haven't started releasing scholarship offers, but i'm expecting at least $15k

and i'm mailing in a scholarship app today for a private scholarship

Ah, well that then, is totally explainable dude.  I thought the scholarship info was nada.   
Yale 2010

Data

• Sr. Citizen
  • They call me Data.
    • View Profile
Waitlisted at NU, 169, 3.6ish.

Maybe all my essays sucked because I still haven't heard back from any other T14 and I applied to most back in November. But during my NU interview I accidentally said something about how the interview had given me such a favorable impression of Michigan by accident (we had just been talking about Mich, as his sister had gone there for undergrad). We laughed about it, and at the time I didn't think much of it. But it was a Freudian slip as I do totally want to go to Mich! 

OHHHH SHiiiii*  !!
Yale 2010