Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My Cancellation Calculations  (Read 1012 times)

LawSchoolDunce

• View Profile
    • Law School Dunce
    • Email
My Cancellation Calculations
« on: February 13, 2007, 02:14:04 AM »
I typically score around 73 credited responses on Preptests (works out to 160, I guess). I always do better on standardized tests in the test center than at home (without fail). However, I guessed on at least 6 questions in each of the LG sections I had, a section I was weak on already.

Even if I somehow managed a 160, it's not enough for Fordham (my top choice) and at best, only enough to be waitlisted at Brooklyn (my 2nd choice).

So the big questions are: Leave the score and still try to get in for Fall 2007? Or cancel it so I can try again and have a better shot at Fall 2008?

I should mention that my mom is kicking me out... :(

LatherRinseRepeat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: My Cancellation Calculations
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 02:16:11 AM »
keep the damn score, apply, and if all fails...shoot for Fall 2008.
I respectfully disagree!!

LawSchoolDunce

• View Profile
    • Law School Dunce
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 02:39:09 AM »
Yeah, but I'm thinking that if I don't have a bad score to drag me down, I can plausibly apply to NYU or CLS...

JaySkizzle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 03:03:21 AM »
Keep the score...I just called NYU today and they take the higher score...so does Harvard, Yale, and the University of Chicago...if the score isn't what you wanted you can always take it again...PS the third time is risky though...good luck

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 07:41:30 AM »
Keep the score...I just called NYU today and they take the higher score...so does Harvard, Yale, and the University of Chicago...if the score isn't what you wanted you can always take it again...PS the third time is risky though...good luck

All schools take the higher score. Even if you retake it 3 times, as long as your score goe sup every time I think it's plausible that you might be accepted to your top choices, gotta write an addendum though.

well eggy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dis well-important fing you iz heard ov call Justz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 08:13:11 AM »
Misinformation abounds in this thread.

rev up the red!!!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • the numbers.. eek!!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 03:11:10 PM »
basically, schools are LSAT whores... and now that they do not have to give USNews (who ranks them) the avg score.. obviously, they are going to take the highest score and want someone who has a high score.. afterall, apparantly, that is how LS works around here.. take the highest LSAT score to show that they are the best...

so just keep ur score.. i wouldnt worry too much! look on LSN. lots of peeps with a low first score (or 2) are getting into their dream schools!!!

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 03:13:13 PM »
You can get into Fordham PT with a 160 and Brooklyn FT and PT if the rest of your app is good.
USD 2010

turnitout

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 03:15:59 PM »
your average score is a 73 and you are cancelling because you think you have a chance at columbia or nyu?  you would need to start averaging approximately TWENTY more correct questions per test. that seems realistic to you?

LawSchoolDunce

• View Profile
    • Law School Dunce
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 03:31:26 PM »
Of course it's realistic.

In the approximately two months that I've been self-studying, I've raised my average preptest score about 10 points. On occasion, I've hit as high as 168. If I can find the cash to take a Powerscore course, I'm confident I can raise it an additional 5-7 points, if not more.

I was in a hurry to try to get in for Fall 2007, which severely limited my study time. There is no doubt in my mind that a solid course and a few more months of study will dramatically improve my score.