Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New York Law School: Worth it?  (Read 1160 times)

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
Re: New York Law School: Worth it?
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 10:21:39 AM »
My only problem is that I don't want to live or work in NJ, since most of family is in NY, I'd probably prefer Hofstra since I can get a job in LI, which isn't bad for me since I wouldn't mind living in LI. Where do you think you can get a better position and more money. In NJ or LI? This is another factor thats going to play a part for me.
If you ONLY want to practice in NY, go to Hofstra or St. John's.

If you're open to working in NJ, Seton Hall or Rutgers is the way to go.

If you are willing to work in NYC at a job that doesn't pay 140k, I'd go with SH, RU ot SJ.
USD 2010

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 10:26:30 AM »
My only problem is that I don't want to live or work in NJ, since most of family is in NY, I'd probably prefer Hofstra since I can get a job in LI, which isn't bad for me since I wouldn't mind living in LI. Where do you think you can get a better position and more money. In NJ or LI? This is another factor thats going to play a part for me.

Honestly I'd say NJ...the top firms in NJ pay low six figures from my understanding, and that ain't bad at all.  A place like Hofstra, limiting yourself to LI (which is essentially the case), I don't really see you starting anywhere near $100,000.  Probably best to seek out Hofstra grads specifically on the board??  look at starting salary info:

I mean, Hofstra says a "median" of ~$75,000, but this is based on only about 30% reporting...so one might reasonably assume that the higher salary people have greater tendency to report.  Even if not, I would say expect ~$60,000 from Hofstra.  At the same time, Seton Hall and Rutgers offer huge ranges of $40,000-$145,000, but of course one has to consider the distribution of this and realize that very, VERY few people fall into that upper range from those schools...so it's all a bit fuzzy trying to judge salaries for these schools, cause there are such dramatic gaps.

Really, only the top tier schools offer an "accurate" or at least very useful picture of salary expectations (haha which is essentially: 25th-75th percentile:  very rich-very rich).  Overall, I would expect potentially greater earning power out of Seton Hall and Rutgers over Hofstra.

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 10:30:32 AM »
I believe LI lawyers can expect around 45-70k starting.  There are of course those who make amounts outside that range.  I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard from one of the leading partners of a LI firm.
USD 2010

Iceslip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 10:35:48 AM »
I believe LI lawyers can expect around 45-70k starting.  There are of course those who make amounts outside that range.  I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard from one of the leading partners of a LI firm.

Yeah that sounds about right, and I think this is definitely lower than what one could expect from NJ or NYC, even at a typical level...I would choose all of those schools over Hofstra; St. John's in particular (considering the range and viability of what is reasonable) offers greater opportunity in NYC and earning potential than Hofstra I think.  I'm really considering between St. John's and Seton Hall (and leaning to 'the Hall' because I 100% plan on living in NJ anyway so I like Seton Hall's potential for opportunity in NJ).

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 10:40:24 AM »

Yeah that sounds about right, and I think this is definitely lower than what one could expect from NJ or NYC, even at a typical level...I would choose all of those schools over Hofstra; St. John's in particular (considering the range and viability of what is reasonable) offers greater opportunity in NYC and earning potential than Hofstra I think.  I'm really considering between St. John's and Seton Hall (and leaning to 'the Hall' because I 100% plan on living in NJ anyway so I like Seton Hall's potential for opportunity in NJ).

I agree.  The only way I'd even consider Hofstra over SH or RU was if I refused to work anywhere but LI.  Hofstra has probably got better opportunity on LI.  Even that I'm not sure about though.
USD 2010

mikeyakay2j

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 10:44:36 AM »
See guys I'd rather go to Seton Hall or Rutgers, I just dont want to work in NJ, so I want to make sure I can work either in NYC or else. Hofstra would give me an option to at least work in LI which wouldn't be bad. I'll see I hope I can get into St. John's thats all I really want, that would give me better chances at NY and less things to worry about since 56 employers come to St. John's out of NY state.

mentalpatient

• Sr. Citizen
  • WUCL 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 03:38:31 PM »
I think Judge Judy went to NYLS.   ;D

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 02:38:42 PM »
I've applied to NYLS as a safety, and frankly, I hope to GOD I don't end up there.

A.) It's the bottom feeder of NYC

B.) It's 39K (!!!!!!!!!!) a year, and coupled with living expenses for three years in NYC, you're looking at at least 180K of debt.  Unacceptable.

I've also applied to John marshall in chicago, yet I'd rather go there based on the fact that the network is supposedly pretty good and they've got an amazing moot court team.

So there's my two cents, for what it's worth.
Albany Law School Class of 2010

Dr. Miles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 08:33:43 PM »
hell no.