Law School Discussion

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: U. Chicago ASW 2007
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2007, 04:52:23 PM »
I'm visiting Chicago tomorrow.

Provided I don't hate it, I'll be back in April.   :)

haha, were you in levmore's torts class on tuesday? he seems nuts when you see him teach, but the weird part is....HE'S LIKE THAT EVERY DAY. i still can't get over the fact that he's dean and he's so, um, energetic and excitable (but i actually think i got a lot out of his class this quarter). also, the palpable tension you felt is only the week and a half before exams, so ASW should be way funner. and if any of you haven't decided yet, i think staying with a student host is a really fun way to meet other students and get a really good look at how their life is. i hope to see a lot of you here in a few weeks!

MindTheGap76

• UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2007, 04:53:28 PM »
What was your position, MTG?

I rose in the negative and argued that while Republicans sometimes do stupid things, libertarians corrode the human soul.

Sillyberry has been to one of these debates. She can vouch that this is the kind of thing I would do (at the debate she was at, "Resolved: Cupid's Arrows are Weapons of Mass Destruction," I rose in the negative and argued that women are the WMDs. I was awarded the prize for sophistry.)

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2007, 04:55:08 PM »
I'm visiting Chicago tomorrow.

Provided I don't hate it, I'll be back in April.   :)

haha, were you in levmore's torts class on tuesday? he seems nuts when you see him teach, but the weird part is....HE'S LIKE THAT EVERY DAY. i still can't get over the fact that he's dean and he's so, um, energetic and excitable (but i actually think i got a lot out of his class this quarter). also, the palpable tension you felt is only the week and a half before exams, so ASW should be way funner. and if any of you haven't decided yet, i think staying with a student host is a really fun way to meet other students and get a really good look at how their life is. i hope to see a lot of you here in a few weeks!

You enjoyed your first year so far, clairel?

I rose in the negative and argued that while Republicans sometimes do stupid things, libertarians corrode the human soul.

Sillyberry has been to one of these debates. She can vouch that this is the kind of thing I would do (at the debate she was at, "Resolved: Cupid's Arrows are Weapons of Mass Destruction," I rose in the negative and argued that women are the WMDs. I was awarded the prize for sophistry.)

Who comes up with those topics?

And  >:( for the bolded. 

MindTheGap76

• UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2007, 04:59:53 PM »

Who comes up with those topics?

And  >:( for the bolded. 

The Chairman (new person elected every quarter)

And if it makes you feel any better, the resolution ultimately passed. This House apparently does indeed prefer libertarians to Republicans.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2007, 05:04:54 PM »
I'm kind of curious now.  Will there be a debate around ASW time?

MindTheGap76

• UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2007, 05:30:32 PM »

Right now there is not a debate scheduled. Just a Tea at the Four Seasons. I'm really pushing to switch that to a debate, as I think there might be some admitted students in town, bored on Wednesday night.

BTW, Hank, the guy who's requested to host you is in Burke. If you come to Chicago on Wednesday afternoon (rather than Thursday afternoon), you're probably going to get dragged to whatever we end up doing.

EDIT: And, anyway, I don't want this thread to get hijacked with a discussion about a student org I happen to be involved in. So please, continue to discuss ASW. Maybe move Burke-related conversation over to my taking ?s thread.

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2007, 06:59:29 PM »
hank,
i've really enjoyed it. the workload is definitely tougher than undergrad but i went to uc davis so it was kind of an under-achieverish school anyway. and it's not as much work as i had feared in advance. the biggest difference is definitely in teaching quality; all my profs here have been extremely intelligent and good at engaging students (for the most part...and the ones that aren't as good have funny quirks that everyone makes fun of, i.e. in the law school musical, which people should ask me about since i absolutely loved it and will be music director next year). despite what some people here have said, i haven't noticed a competitive vibe AT ALL; everyone is very willing to share notes, outlines, and study group time; sure, some people are more driven to jump to the top of the class but all of my friends are pretty content to settle around the median since we all know we'll get great jobs regardless. also, the 1L class this year has been to a LOT of the bar reviews and wine messes; we seem to be more social than average (although MTG can confirm or deny this), so it's definitely not only a bunch of nerds here. basically, if you don't mind not being in the top 10% of the class, it is totally possible to go here and have plenty of extra time to do other stuff (and there's plenty to do in chicago!).

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2007, 07:15:41 PM »

Right now there is not a debate scheduled. Just a Tea at the Four Seasons. I'm really pushing to switch that to a debate, as I think there might be some admitted students in town, bored on Wednesday night.

BTW, Hank, the guy who's requested to host you is in Burke. If you come to Chicago on Wednesday afternoon (rather than Thursday afternoon), you're probably going to get dragged to whatever we end up doing.

EDIT: And, anyway, I don't want this thread to get hijacked with a discussion about a student org I happen to be involved in. So please, continue to discuss ASW. Maybe move Burke-related conversation over to my taking ?s thread.

Hmm, I could leave Austin on Tuesday, stay with my parents in Houston Tuesday evening, and leave Houston Wednesday morning.  But I am scheduled to work Wednesday night and Saturday afternoon as well.  I could get a substitute for one of them, but both might be stretching it...I'll think about it.

Thanks for the recap, clairel.  Did you sing in the musical? 

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2007, 07:40:38 PM »
i did sing in the musical, but i've done musical theater before (but this was the first time i got to sing about torts and contracts). the vast majority of participants have not, which is part of the charm....watching uncoordinated guys try to spin on beat is highly amusing. also, students get to mock professors, many of whom actually attend the show (dean levmore brings his wife and kids every year).

MindTheGap76

• UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2007, 07:41:52 PM »
i did sing in the musical, but i've done musical theater before (but this was the first time i got to sing about torts and contracts). the vast majority of participants have not, which is part of the charm....watching uncoordinated guys try to spin on beat is highly amusing. also, students get to mock professors, many of whom actually attend the show (dean levmore brings his wife and kids every year).

Brinkman singing "Sexyback" while dressed as Helmholz = classic.