• Arnold is numero uno
    • View Profile
Re: U. Chicago ASW 2007
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 03:14:35 PM »

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2007, 11:20:46 AM »
I'm coming to ASW  ;D

Still can't get over my acceptance

Also, how long after the call did they send the binder?

nerfco

• U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2007, 12:01:15 PM »
I'm coming to ASW  ;D

Still can't get over my acceptance

Also, how long after the call did they send the binder?

The letter from the envelope containing my binder is dated the same day as my phone call occurred on. So, your wait should not be too long.

Congrats on Chicago yesterday, by the way!

MindTheGap76

• UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2007, 02:56:21 PM »
Does anyone have any ideas for what to do on Thursday before the reception? On the Admitted Students board, someone (I think it was MTG actually) said that they're looking into doing something unofficially for the prospective students who are arriving early. He also said there is an Epstein CrimLaw class at 1:30 and that Epstein will be gone for the rest of ASW, so there's that opportunity.

Side note: I'll be in Chicago at least a couple days before the official ASW dates and a couple days after, so I won't be staying with a student host. I plan on exploring the city and looking at various housing options besides Regents (plus, meeting up with a few people I know who are currently living in Chicago). Anyone else going for extra days?

Yeah that was me. We don't have anything official scheduled. In the past we've done a reception at the school, but now that we have the Sears Tower reception, that seems a bit redundant. We did it last year, and it was a bit awkward.

We're planning on running tours throughout the day. We've also talked about doing a BBQ in the afternoon. Haven't really settled on anything specific yet, but we recognize a lot of admits are going to be around, so we'll try to entertain them. I will, of course, keep you guys informed as the schedule comes together.

Also, if you are in town early and are interested in the Edmund Burke Society, there will be some sort of event on Wednesday. Right now, it is scheduled to be an afternoon tea at the Four Seasons (not an ideal event for an admitted student), but if you're completely and totally bored out of your mind, that will be one option.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2007, 02:57:28 PM »
Is it warm enough for a BBQ in Chicago in mid-April?

???

MindTheGap76

• UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2007, 03:28:33 PM »
Is it warm enough for a BBQ in Chicago in mid-April?

???

It's warm enough for people to flip burgers outside. We'd probably eat everything in the Green Lounge.

Not sure if they are going with that at all. Just one suggestion that got made.

MindTheGap76

• UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2007, 03:31:23 PM »
MTG: Do you mind explaining in more detail what the Edmund Burke Society is about? The description on the school website is kinda clinical.

Basically, conservative parliamentary debate. If you think it sounds fun to eat cheese, drink wine, and deliver speeches on topics like "Resolved: Cut the Safety Net," Burke may be for you. This tends to apply only to an excruciatingly small percentage of even the geeky Chicago law school population.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2007, 04:23:47 PM »
MTG: Do you mind explaining in more detail what the Edmund Burke Society is about? The description on the school website is kinda clinical.

Basically, conservative parliamentary debate. If you think it sounds fun to eat cheese, drink wine, and deliver speeches on topics like "Resolved: Cut the Safety Net," Burke may be for you. This tends to apply only to an excruciatingly small percentage of even the geeky Chicago law school population.

I was talking to an older alum from UChicago Edmund Burke Society, and he said many of the topics were designed to divide conservatives and libertarians ("Resolved: It is Honorable to Die for One's Country"). 

MindTheGap76

• UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2007, 04:46:08 PM »

I was talking to an older alum from UChicago Edmund Burke Society, and he said many of the topics were designed to divide conservatives and libertarians ("Resolved: It is Honorable to Die for One's Country"). 

Or last quarter's "Resolved: This House prefers libertarians to Republicans." (small l, big R).

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2007, 04:47:17 PM »
What was your position, MTG?