Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Emory vs. U. of Illinois with $$$$  (Read 455 times)

tdice7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Emory vs. U. of Illinois with $$$$
« on: February 11, 2007, 06:42:42 PM »
I have been accepted into both Emory and Illinois, with Illinois giving me a 10K/year scholarship. Is the one spot (#26 vs #27) worth passing up a scholarship???
Touchdown (Accepted): Miami, Tulane, U. of Cincinatti, Indiana, Ohio State, Wake Forest, Emory, Arizona, Wisconsin, Washington U.in SL, Illinois,
Stopped For No Gain (WL): Vanderbilt, Michigan, Virginia, USC,
Sacked (Rejected): Boston College, Texas,
First and ten (waiting):

ButImAGilmore

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fight On!
    • View Profile
Re: Emory vs. U. of Illinois with $$$$
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 06:52:54 PM »
I personally think it depends entirely on where you want to work, and to some extent on a visit to the schools themselves (ie where you would be most comfortable).

If you want to work in Chicago, Illinois is the better choice, and it's a bonus that you have $$. If you want to work in the south/Atlanta/DC area, I would think that Emory is a better choice, and the scholarship wouldn't be enough to sway me.

That said, if you have no idea where you want to practice, having $30 000 less debt when you graduate is a plus, and the 1 spot difference in the rankings is not a good enough reason to turn it down, unless there are other reasons in play (ie desired city after graduation, general law school environment, perhaps a particular program of interest?) 
A baby Trojan is born...

USC 2010!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 07:00:21 PM »
I personally think it depends entirely on where you want to work, and to some extent on a visit to the schools themselves (ie where you would be most comfortable).

If you want to work in Chicago, Illinois is the better choice, and it's a bonus that you have $$. If you want to work in the south/Atlanta/DC area, I would think that Emory is a better choice, and the scholarship wouldn't be enough to sway me.

That said, if you have no idea where you want to practice, having $30 000 less debt when you graduate is a plus, and the 1 spot difference in the rankings is not a good enough reason to turn it down, unless there are other reasons in play (ie desired city after graduation, general law school environment, perhaps a particular program of interest?) 

This is the credited response.

One spot in the ranking doesn't very much even within the top 5, let alone between 26 and 27. Make your decision on the basis of the program you like best and the area you want to live in after law school.

If it were me, I;d take the money at UIUC, hands-down.

ksigman123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 07:36:45 PM »
If you want the midwest (chicago and such) go to Illinois

If you want the south like Atlanta or NY/DC go to Emory

If you want the westcoast go somewhere else...

COL is lower at Illinois as well...

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 08:56:23 PM »
UIUC 2L here, in full agreement with the above posts.

Air Force JAG Corps

withasigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 09:03:51 PM »
On Emory's online chat for admitted students, they said that they'd be sending out merit and need based aid packages starting at the end of this month, with all the packages being sent out by the end of March.  Perhaps you should send a nice letter to Emory about the money you've been promised from other schools and see if they're willing to match it.  They might even make you a better offer that you can, in turn, take back to Illinois. 
Emory '10

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 09:16:42 PM »
I am in full agreement with the above posts.  You should go where you want to work: UIUC for Midwest, Emory for the South.  However, for NYC, I would say, go with the one that offers you the most money.  Emory might have marginally better placement in NYC biglaw, but your chance is pretty slim from both schools unless you finish near the top of your class.  Definitely try to negotiate with both schools, try to get as good a deal as you can from them, and then do the final cost/benefit analysis.