Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Firm on A&E  (Read 482 times)

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
The Firm on A&E
« on: February 11, 2007, 12:51:54 PM »
Since a lot of you seem to hate Legally Blonde, how about The Firm as an uplifting film?  Nothing like that to make you question BigLaw...anyway, it's on A&E at noon today, at least in my market.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: The Firm on A&E
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 02:02:23 PM »
Since a lot of you seem to hate Legally Blonde, how about The Firm as an uplifting film?  Nothing like that to make you question BigLaw...anyway, it's on A&E at noon today, at least in my market.

1pm in mine (West). A Few Good Men is on right now.

I'd love it if my firm was like The Firm. Who wouldn't want to work with a bad-ass Wilford Brimley?
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 02:18:30 PM »
mmmmmmm.....me loves some Quaker Oats.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 03:10:57 PM »
Did you see the part at the beginning where someone told Tom Cruise he was in the top 5% at HLS, and he corrected them by saying he was in the top 5 students?  Does HLS really rank students 1, 2, 3, 4, 5?  I don't think so.  UNREALISTIC!
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

obamacon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 05:02:03 PM »
Nothing like that to make you question BigLaw

Um, the Firm isn't about BigLaw if anything it's MidLaw if not a small firm.

Wiki's pretty good definition:

"Big Law is a term which generally refers to American law firms whose size is that of several hundred lawyers or higher. Such firms often are based in major legal markets such as New York City, Washington, D.C., Chicago or Los Angeles. However, it is most often applied in a more limited sense to those sizable New York based firms that practice in the corporate and securities sectors. The majority of individuals working for such firms are graduates of one of the top American law schools as ranked in U.S. News and World Report 's annual law school rankings, however, often individuals with unique industry expertise will be hired despite having graduated from lesser ranked schools (e.g. former government officials from organizations such as the Securities and Exchange Commission). Associates at such firms are considered top New York talent and are recruited heavily by rival Big Law firms. Examples of Big Law firms include Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz; Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom; Sullivan & Cromwell; Simpson, Thacher & Bartlett; and Cravath, Swaine & Moore."

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 05:05:56 PM »
All I hear is blah, blah, blah.

First, you cite Wiki.  Second, your definition begins with "generally". There is no hard and fast rule regarding Big Law. 

Geez.  I was only getting at that point that I don't  know if I want to work at a firm that works you 16 hours a day, no matter how well they pay...oh and that whole murdering associates and bugging your home.  Not too keen on those parts either.

h2xblive

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 05:41:22 PM »

First, you cite Wiki.  Second, your definition begins with "generally". There is no hard and fast rule regarding Big Law. 

Geez.  I was only getting at that point that I don't  know if I want to work at a firm that works you 16 hours a day, no matter how well they pay...oh and that whole murdering associates and bugging your home.  Not too keen on those parts either.

I can assume that it's uncommon for that to happen in real life law firms, right? 

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 06:09:40 PM »

I can assume that it's uncommon for that to happen in real life law firms, right?

Hell, I don't know.  I'm only a 0L.  :D

obamacon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 06:47:59 PM »

Whose fault is that? ;)

First, you cite Wiki.

1.   This is the internet; I donít need to sight a scholarly source.
2.   The definition they gave is almost the same one that I would give.

Second, your definition begins with "generally". There is no hard and fast rule regarding Big Law. 

Hard and fast rule number one: There are no Big Law firms based in Tennessee.

Geez.  I was only getting at that point that I don't  know if I want to work at a firm that works you 16 hours a day, no matter how well they pay

At Wachtell, for example, someone expecting to make partner should plan on billing 3000-3750 h/y with an average of about 3500. If you plan on working, say, 48 weeks out of the year (4 weeks for sick/vacation/whatever else time) youíd need to bill 73ish hours a week or about 12 hours a day 6 days a week. Now, you canít bill 100% of your time, but if youíre efficient you can get away with 14 or so hours per day and a shorter Saturday. Thatís not teaching, but it isnít murder either.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 07:09:13 PM »
I hear partners at Watchell DO in fact bug your house/phone/etc. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.