Law School Discussion

Using acceptances to get more acceptances?

Using acceptances to get more acceptances?
« on: February 11, 2007, 12:13:28 AM »
I am in at one of CCN.  I'm thrilled as it was a super-reach for me.  However, I have my heart set on one of the 7-14 schools.  I applied early, but was deferred, and am still waiting to hear back.  Would informing the school of my acceptance to the CCN and my preference to attend their school help sway them into accepting me?  If so, is there any possible tasteful way to go about informing them?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Ollie!

• 1 0f 30: U U D D L R L R B A STRT
    • View Profile
Re: Using acceptances to get more acceptances?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 12:33:00 AM »
In Montauk's book, he quotes an anonymous T14 Admissions Director as saying, "Sometimes I'm swayed by information about what competitors you got into.  (We do like to beat them!)  Of course, we check this if it's hard to believe, so don't lie to us."

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 03:10:41 AM »
Do it.

Even if you fail, you'll still have the option of attending CCN!

ButImAGilmore

• Fight On!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 10:34:10 AM »
I know of someone who got into Osgoode Hall (in Toronto) with a bit of $$ but wanted to go to UofToronto more (personal preference - the schools are relatively equal in Canada). She literally took her acceptance letter into the UofT admissions office and waved it infront of them. When confronted with losing a potential student to their competitor, UofT did what any smart, and rather hasty, school would do: they admitted her on the spot.

I'm not suggesting you take that approach, because I could see it well and truly backfiring on you, but writing your school of preference a letter of continued interest that states you got into a higher ranked school but would prefer them may help you. If it doesn't, like another poster said, you still have that higher ranked school!

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 08:05:14 PM »
Do it.

Even if you fail, you'll still have the option of attending CCN!

very good point...

In Montauk's book, he quotes an anonymous T14 Admissions Director as saying, "Sometimes I'm swayed by information about what competitors you got into.  (We do like to beat them!)  Of course, we check this if it's hard to believe, so don't lie to us."

That's good to hear!  But what is a tasteful way of letting them know?

Thanks for the advice so far.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 08:09:02 PM »
Very interesting, I've never thought of doing anything like this.

I was accepted to SMU (ranked 43rd) very quickly after going complete, but I've yet to hear back from San Diego (ranked 65th).  Does anyone think I should contact San Diego and let them know about this.  Perhaps this isn't a great strategy for non-t14 schools?

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 08:34:50 PM »
Someone actually suggested this to me recently, to leverage an NYU acceptance with my Chicago acceptance.  I don't think I'll do this, however - I kind of feel dishonest doing this  :P

How would you do it tastefully? Do you have any thoughts on this?

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 08:43:07 PM »
This 7-14 wouldn't happen to be Boalt would it? 

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 09:24:36 PM »
This 7-14 wouldn't happen to be Boalt would it? 

Nope.  I didn't apply to Boalt.

I'm not going to be able to check the board until tomorrow morning at the earliest (maybe not for a few days), so if anyone leaves any advice on how to contact the schools, thank you in advance!

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 10:10:08 PM »
The way it was suggested to me, and which I have problems with, is letting NYU know through either a letter of continued interest or a file update, that I've been accepted to Chicago and would *rather* go to NYU over Chicago, thus leveraging the acceptance (possibly).  If it were true, then I wouldn't feel that bad about it, but at this point, I don't know if it's true, and I really love Chicago, which is why I'm not going to do it.  The person I was talking to who suggested it said that it's a fair move in the game, whose rules all the law schools know, and if you're in a position where you've been accepted to School X and definitely, without a doubt, would go to School Y over X, then I can see how this would make sense.  Personally, I'm not in that position. 

What if you say that in your letter but change your mind later? At this precise moment I'd like to go to a school I was held at over every single school that's accepted me so far, but that could change in a month or two after ASW's and money offers. Also, the schools I've been accepted to, while similar in ranking to the one I've been held at, have lower yields. I'm not sure saying that I'd definitely go would make even a slight impact on the adcomm's decision...