Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW Law Class of 2010  (Read 14187 times)

monserrat

• Sr. Citizen
  • mis preciosos
    • View Profile
Re: GW Law Class of 2010
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2007, 02:10:46 PM »
D&T, i keep following you to and from the Michigan threads.   :o

I'm still waiting for love from Michigan, and I doubt more every day that I'll get it  >:(

I wish I could go back and forth to Michigan threads.... :-X :-X :-X :'(

i'd love to stalk you too!!
Michigan 2010

GW2L

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2007, 04:24:54 PM »
Thanks for the info GW2L, pretty informative.  What do you know of summer opportunities working in govt. organizations/public policy roles? What is the pay like? I hear the law school pop is approx 1600, how big would this make each section? And what would you say about being at such a large law school?  I come from a huge public school undergrad and all my classes were 100+.  I was kind of hoping for a change towards smaller class sizes in grad school. 

And I never got a complete notice.  They called me (i missed the call) then sent me an email congratulating me a few minutes later.   

By virtue of GW's location alone you can expect your opportunities to make inroads into the various governemntal institutions to be pretty significant. Most of us have a "law firm first" mentality though (blinded by greed) and I don't many who are actively purusing governmental positions so I can't be a huge help to you at this point - though I do know that a ton of my class did work government internships (DOJ, OAG, etc. etc. etc.) during 1L summer. The postitions are generally unpaid or low-paying and are not difficult to get (unless you're looking at the DOJ).

Yeah my 1L section last year was enormous - 140 of us total in one classroom. 2L is much different with teh class sizes being only a small fraction of that overall total. I know that the 140 thing was a failed experiment of sorts and this year's 1L sections range from 70 to 110 - so still not small, but at least you can hide out somewaht if need be (all of GW's classes are more or less socratic all of the time - I'm sick of it!)

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2007, 08:41:37 PM »
General perceptions of the school?  I have heard from some friends in DC that the program seems to be very well funded and on the up-and-up, ready to make jumps in rankings and prestige - is this accurate?

The law school is the recipient of a tremendous number of financial donations - rumor has it the donations obtained by the law school alone far eclipse the donations received by the UG campus on an annual basis thus creating somewhat of a rift between the two programs (i.e. the UG wants some of the law school money and the law school generally refuses - hence the conflict). The reason for this should be more or less obvious: DC law firms are full of GW law grads and most seem pretty willing to give back. Futhermore, I know that our Dean (Dean Lawrence) is very active in soliciting gifts from local firms - GW certainly isn't hurting in the funding department.

I think that their generosity with their scholarship offers is indicative of their overall financial state at the present moment. This year I was awarded a merit scholarship close to 15g (per year) and I barely finished within the top 3rd - this means that GW is giving out a tremendous amount of money to its current students (when you factor in my "good but not great" class standing with the huge # of students in our class), when, at least arguably, it really has no need to (i.e. you, me, and everyone else knows that I'm not transferring up with my "barely top 3rd" GPA). Also, I think that maybe those of you with the higher LSATS have noticed that GW is being incredibly generous with its scholarsihp offers to the incoming 1Ls. This used not to be the case. This is happening for two reasons: 1) the school is swimming in money, and 2) (and more importantly) Dean Lawrence is making a concerted effort to raise the incoming average LSAT at GW. I think that currently the median LSAT at GW is a 166 - they want to get it up to around to a 168ish or so (which would more or less close the gap with gtown, which is hovering around a 169ish i think - but yeah, you get the idea). In terms of ranking, I don't think that you will see a huge bump for GW. The t14 is the t14 because it has ALWAYS been the same 14. Don't exepect that to change. Who else is left? UCLA, Vandy, UMinn, UTex, and USC. I think that it would be reasonable to expect GW to bump both USC and UMinn should Lawrence succeed in bumping the LSAT a couple of points - but UCLA, Vandy, and UTex? Don't expect that to happen anytime soon .. so, in other words, expect GW to hover between 17 and 20 for the rest of time ;)

I think that a misconception amongst 0Ls that GW is lacking the prestige department. GW is the #19 law school with an elite IP program and a very respectable International Law program. Furthermore, the median LSAT is at the *95th* percentile. Hiring committees are well aware of these numbers and give GW it's due deference. I think part of the problem is that 0Ls tend to wrap GW's law school up with its more or less anemic UG campus. No, GW certainly doesn't have much lay prestige, but the law school certainly commands respect - and that's all that really mattesr if you're in this for the right reasons.

What's the student body atmosphere? Overly competitive, relaxed, friendly, etc...?

I've made some great friends here though there are certainly groups of a-holes to be found ... but such is law school generally I think.

How deep does biglaw go at GW?

Haha this is the question that I've been asked 3000 times in the last 3 days. I think that the best way to answer this is to relate to you my own experience: After 1L, I finished with a 3.4 - just inside the top 35% and placed onto a journal that isn't law review. When I participated in OCI, I placed 35 resumes with 35 potential employers. Of the 35 resumes placed, I was selected for 17 or so interviews after screening. Of the 17 firms that I interviewed with, a significant portion were with some the nation's more elite law firms. I will drop a couple of names so that you will be satisfied: Jones Day, Kirkland & Ellis, Sonnenschein, Morgan Lewis, Bingham McCutchen, Howrey, and a cuople others that I can't remember. Furthermore, I wasn't interviewing just for DC offices - I interviwed with offices in San Diego, Phoenix, LA, NYC, DC, and Palo Alto. I have friends who have accepted offers in Miami, LA, SF, NYC, Boston, Philly, Buffalo (oops), Chicago, Portland, etc. I personally accepted an offer with a firm in NYC and will be earning 3080 / week this summer (NYC offices just bumped their pay scale - again!).

So, how deeep does GW go into biglaw? Pretty damn deep if you ask me .. I think that this is GW's true selling point. If you're thinking about academics you'd be doing yourself a favor by taking an offer from the T-14, but if you want to work for a big firm, you really won't go all that wrong with GW [and this idea really ties in with your question about prestige, when you think about it - biglaw firms are prestige whores yet they hire from GW like mad ... the connection should be pretty clear].

I think that those of you with big money scholarship offers on the table should think long and hard about GW - especially if you're interested in starting your career at a law firm. I know that I will be working with a bunch of SAs from NYU and Columbia this summer - if I can get there, I'm pretty sure that you guys can to - and if you can get there with no outstanding debt, well, why do it the expensive way?

Anyway, I hope that that helps...   

Great post, thanks! Your info. on OCI and biglaw is particularly helpful to me, and it's nice to hear that someone in the top 35% was able to get a biglaw NYC summer job. This is my goal. Also, I'll be a patent lawyer, so the IP program is very appealing. So, with that, some questions:

Can you say anything specific about the IP law program? If you know how strong the patent law courses are, specifically, that would help lots. Did you have a job during your 1L summer? Also, I know this has probably been asked, but I'm too lazy to look, so... how's the area? Safe? Stuff to do? Where do you live? I'd be in the Aston, so if you know anything about it, that would be helpful.
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2007, 09:36:45 PM »
I will be at the preview weekend, but I have not yet decided for sure where I'm going.

Same.
VIP.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2007, 09:50:11 PM »
Awesome.  Thanks! 

Also, I thought you were a guy this whole time!

Nope, she just has really good taste in Lefthanded starting pitchers.
VIP.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2007, 10:04:22 PM »
if you guys have any questions about GW let me know ...

General perceptions of the school?  I have heard from some friends in DC that the program seems to be very well funded and on the up-and-up, ready to make jumps in rankings and prestige - is this accurate?

What's the student body atmosphere? Overly competitive, relaxed, friendly, etc...?

How deep does biglaw go at GW?

How about, do people poop their pants over biglaw? Do I need to poop my pants if I attend?
VIP.

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2007, 12:15:06 AM »
It looks like I'll almost certainly be at the preview weekend. See you all there! I remember seeing a thread for it, but I can't find it. Anyone? Was I seeing things?
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

GW2L

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2007, 04:42:25 PM »
Can you say anything specific about the IP law program? If you know how strong the patent law courses are, specifically, that would help lots. Did you have a job during your 1L summer? Also, I know this has probably been asked, but I'm too lazy to look, so... how's the area? Safe? Stuff to do? Where do you live? I'd be in the Aston, so if you know anything about it, that would be helpful.

Heya,

GW's IP program is one of the oldest and most highly respected in the country (currently ranked #3, I believe - I also heard that there are more GW alum in America's IP law firms than from any other law school ... by far ). This ranking is derived from, of course, the strength of the faculty and the overall breadth of the IP curriculum. Patent law at GW is taught by two professors: Judge Rader (who is currently a Judge on the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit) and Professor John Duffy (who has argued several important patent cases to the US SC - including one that is still on-going). We also have a Patent Appellate Practice course which is taught by Professor Donald Dunner (who is one of the founding (and still practicing) partners for the country's single most elite IP firm: Finnegan Henderson: http://www.finnegan.com/, and who is also respected as a top appellate practice litigator) - there also numerous courses on intellectual property law generally, Copyright law, Trademark law, biotechnology IP law, IP claims drafting, and others, I'm sure. There are certainly no shortage of IP courses to take at GW...

Your job prospects will really depend upon the type of background that you have. For example, copyright and trademark law do not require a technical background, and thus the competition to enter into these respective fields is tough. Patent law requires a technical background (as it enables you to take the patent bar) and thus you are competing against a much smaller pool of potential applicants. Some areas of patent law are on fire right now: my friends with EE, SE, and ME received a ridiculous amount of attention during OCI (one guy had 8 offers by early October!!!) where as those with computer science and life sciences backgrounds were still able to find good jobs but just not with the same ease as the engineers. Oh, and those with PhDs (in anything technical) were also picked up very quickly, irrespective of grades (over-educated weenies! ;))

So yeah, if you're an engineer I hate you ;). If you do reasonably well first semester of 1L, you would have a strong shot at getting an 1L SA position.

I worked as a summer law clerk for a judge during my 1L summer. It was a great experience (though unpaid).

Foggy Bottom itself is very safe - DC itself, however, isn't - though I'm guessing that you know that already. I come home at odd hours all of the time and have never once been worried or nervous about the walk (I live ~3 blocks from the law school). There's the odd smattering of homeless around, but they're completely harmless.   

Stuff to do? Hah silly 0L, you think that this matters ... here's something that you will be doing: STUDYING! A LOT! Haha, but yeah, of course - it's DC - tons of bars, restaurants, etc. There are a lot of young people in the city, too. If you can handle the cold weather, it's a fun place. Oh, I don't know the first thing about Aston - sorry. You might want to check it out before you actually make the move. Plus, you might want to consider that fact that you will be commuting everyday.

Hope that covers it!

monserrat

• Sr. Citizen
  • mis preciosos
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2007, 04:44:48 PM »
i thought the aston was within walking distance
Michigan 2010

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2007, 04:57:19 PM »
Foggy Bottom itself is very safe - DC itself, however, isn't - though I'm guessing that you know that already. I come home at odd hours all of the time and have never once been worried or nervous about the walk (I live ~3 blocks from the law school). There's the odd smattering of homeless around, but they're completely harmless.   

Stuff to do? Hah silly 0L, you think that this matters ... here's something that you will be doing: STUDYING! A LOT! Haha, but yeah, of course - it's DC - tons of bars, restaurants, etc. There are a lot of young people in the city, too. If you can handle the cold weather, it's a fun place. Oh, I don't know the first thing about Aston - sorry. You might want to check it out before you actually make the move. Plus, you might want to consider that fact that you will be commuting everyday.

Hope that covers it!

I actually find DC to be relatively safe.  That is, as long as you stay within NW - which I can almost guarantee you will (I did some ride-alongs for drug busts in the other quadrants and it isn't pretty).  Maybe around U street things are a little shady, but for the most part NW as a whole is safe.  And yea, the homeless are pretty harmless.