Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW Law Class of 2010  (Read 13812 times)

kristen823

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: GW Law Class of 2010
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 11:16:30 AM »
Yea I'll probably be there as well.
So if you really love me, say yes(In): Maryland, Temple, Fordham, GW
But if you don't, dear, confess(Out):
And please don't tell me Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps(Def/WL): Gtown (PWL)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=kmk823

Vick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 11:34:11 AM »
Awesome.  Thanks! 

Also, I thought you were a guy this whole time!

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 11:36:09 AM »
Deedee, that's a great writeup, and almost exactly summarizes how I felt after living in DC for 6 months last year.  The surrounding suburbs are indeed beautiful and ideal and also have a lot to do and see.  I love the city and I will probably be somewhat disappointed if I don't end up there (I have committed myself to going to a T14 if I get in).

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 12:24:20 PM »
Awesome.  Thanks! 

Also, I thought you were a guy this whole time!

Heh, you didn't think it was a self-tar, did you? ;)

Illini, seems like you've got a great shot at Georgetown, so you can probably have both DC and a T14. I couldn't find the Georgetown campus while I was there, is it on the outskirts of the area known as Georgetown? Is the LS part of that campus?

Actually GULC is not located on that campus.  It's located right off of the Judiciary Square metro stop (red line), I'd like to say about between 3rd-5th and C-ish (my memory is failing me right now).  It's right near the USAO, AG's Office, and the DC Courthouses.

lflyer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 12:55:17 PM »
I should be there for ASW, although it also falls smack in the middle of my 2 week spring break so it will be a tough call.

Since people seem to be writing some reviews in this thread I figured I'd add my own 2 cents:

I'll start off with the layout.  The law school sits on the southeast corner of a campus that houses the medical, business, and undergrad schools.  The buildings form an L-shape around a courtyard where student groups tap kegs on "Thirsty Thursdays" and play pickup football games after class on Fridays.  It was pretty barren from what I could see but this was probably due to the weather.  On the website there is a picture of the complex in the evening with the lights on and the sun going down, looks really nice.

The law school is made up of 3 (and a half? the description I was given was confusing) buildings.  On one of the end buildings is the moot court room (very professional looking and spacious from what I could tell through a window as it was in use).  Across the hall from the moot courtroom are a few lounges known as the hard, soft, and leather lounges (self-descriptive of their couches).  This is the social hub of the law campus from what I am told.  In the center building is the library which goes 3 floors up and 2 floors into the basement, or vice versa, I forget.  The description I was given is that there are a series of rooms that vary from "extremely quiet, no cell phones, no computers" to "talk and study rooms."  The library appeared to be somewhat cut up into sections with closed glass doors separating rooms.  Still, it was elegant looking (bad choice of words but I can't think of the word I'm looking for).  My one big concern about the library was that EVERY SINGLE study station was filled both inside the library and in the hallways immediately outside.  I asked about it and was told not to worry but I have my reservations.  Next is a small building with admissions/financial aid in the basement and other things on the upper floors which I did not investigate.  Forming the other half of the "L" shape is the Lisner Building.  Here, GW just opened up its first full-service cafeteria.  From what the students were saying, the prices for sandwiches are considerably lower here than in the surrounding area.  I found it somewhat cramped as the students poured in from classes, and the wait was a little long, but the food was GREAT!

As for the people, they were extremely nice too.  One professor stopped me in the hallway as it was obvious that I had no idea where I was going.  She proceeded to tell me about the academic portion of the school and was extremely friendly and funny.  A couple law students took a minute to talk to me and one undergrad that was walking by the law campus even offered a tour of the area as she walked to her class on the opposite end.  Overall, very impressed with the community unity and outgoing nature.

For those of you interested in the gym, its two blocks west and one block south.  I was told it is insufficient to hold the number of people that frequent the place but I found it to be MUCH larger than my undergrad gym which served 16,000 students.  It was also sparsely populated at 2 in the afternoon, supposedly the middle of its peak hours.  Also, I drove by the Aston apartments.  I wasn't able to go inside but in terms of location it is about 3 blocks north and a block or two west of the law campus.  It had the look of being a hotel at an earlier date in time.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 01:19:10 PM »
I should be there for ASW, although it also falls smack in the middle of my 2 week spring break so it will be a tough call.

Since people seem to be writing some reviews in this thread I figured I'd add my own 2 cents:

I'll start off with the layout.  The law school sits on the southeast corner of a campus that houses the medical, business, and undergrad schools.  The buildings form an L-shape around a courtyard where student groups tap kegs on "Thirsty Thursdays" and play pickup football games after class on Fridays.  It was pretty barren from what I could see but this was probably due to the weather.  On the website there is a picture of the complex in the evening with the lights on and the sun going down, looks really nice.

The law school is made up of 3 (and a half? the description I was given was confusing) buildings.  On one of the end buildings is the moot court room (very professional looking and spacious from what I could tell through a window as it was in use).  Across the hall from the moot courtroom are a few lounges known as the hard, soft, and leather lounges (self-descriptive of their couches).  This is the social hub of the law campus from what I am told.  In the center building is the library which goes 3 floors up and 2 floors into the basement, or vice versa, I forget.  The description I was given is that there are a series of rooms that vary from "extremely quiet, no cell phones, no computers" to "talk and study rooms."  The library appeared to be somewhat cut up into sections with closed glass doors separating rooms.  Still, it was elegant looking (bad choice of words but I can't think of the word I'm looking for).  My one big concern about the library was that EVERY SINGLE study station was filled both inside the library and in the hallways immediately outside.  I asked about it and was told not to worry but I have my reservations.  Next is a small building with admissions/financial aid in the basement and other things on the upper floors which I did not investigate.  Forming the other half of the "L" shape is the Lisner Building.  Here, GW just opened up its first full-service cafeteria.  From what the students were saying, the prices for sandwiches are considerably lower here than in the surrounding area.  I found it somewhat cramped as the students poured in from classes, and the wait was a little long, but the food was GREAT!

As for the people, they were extremely nice too.  One professor stopped me in the hallway as it was obvious that I had no idea where I was going.  She proceeded to tell me about the academic portion of the school and was extremely friendly and funny.  A couple law students took a minute to talk to me and one undergrad that was walking by the law campus even offered a tour of the area as she walked to her class on the opposite end.  Overall, very impressed with the community unity and outgoing nature.

For those of you interested in the gym, its two blocks west and one block south.  I was told it is insufficient to hold the number of people that frequent the place but I found it to be MUCH larger than my undergrad gym which served 16,000 students.  It was also sparsely populated at 2 in the afternoon, supposedly the middle of its peak hours.  Also, I drove by the Aston apartments.  I wasn't able to go inside but in terms of location it is about 3 blocks north and a block or two west of the law campus.  It had the look of being a hotel at an earlier date in time.

Tee hee "community unity"

Oh, the things I find humor in nowadays...

monserrat

• Sr. Citizen
  • mis preciosos
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 01:23:00 PM »

that's totally funny, oh the things i miss when i skim.

thanks deedeeleigh for the review.  i also am esp interested in the aston, i can't wait to see if i can fit my queen in there!
Michigan 2010

kristen823

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 02:36:03 PM »

thanks deedeeleigh for the review.  i also am esp interested in the aston, i can't wait to see if i can fit my queen in there!

Ha, this is my concern as well. I don't even require a queen, just a full, but I am certainly too old for a twin!
So if you really love me, say yes(In): Maryland, Temple, Fordham, GW
But if you don't, dear, confess(Out):
And please don't tell me Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps(Def/WL): Gtown (PWL)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=kmk823

monserrat

• Sr. Citizen
  • mis preciosos
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 02:41:32 PM »

Ha, this is my concern as well. I don't even require a queen, just a full, but I am certainly too old for a twin!

i'm too old, and too tall!!
Michigan 2010

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 02:50:03 PM »
Based on the 360 pictures posted on the other GW thread, you can def fit any size bed in there. They already have two twins in the rooms (they used to be used as doubles), so I'd say a queen would be fine. I'm planning on bringing my full size bed, and a futon. The room looks big enough for this (though not big enough for a coffee table and another dresser, sadly). What I'm curious about is the tv/armoire thing they had in the room. Not sure if that comes with it.

Guess we'll see in March at the preview weekend!

Do you mean the 360 degree views? Or were there 360 pictures posted somewhere that I missed? :)
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</