Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Washington  (Read 6792 times)

superrob-rp7

• View Profile
Re: University of Washington
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 11:11:53 PM »
   Rejection letter from UW came today.

I've got a 177/3.3. What the bleep are they looking for? My index on LSN is over 95, with the average accepted index being about 93, and the highest rejected index being a 93.9 or something similar.

I got waitlisted at UVA (also out of state), which I think would be a heck of a lot tougher than getting accepted to UW. The problem is that a waitlisting at UVA doesn't do me any good and UW was one of my top choices.

This one hurts. 

Sorry to hear that...

Are you in-state?  UW has a goal to enroll 70% in-staters(if I remember correctly from their website), and this may have been a factor if you are out-of-state.

monkeys29,
You had already given me info about in/out-of-state.  Sorry about that. 

Mpmav1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 11:51:12 PM »
Rejected yesterday and wow did that suck (just notice my LSD picture to see how much I love loved that school.  It's still a great school... but I was literally blown away.  My wife and I are now moving to NYC... wow... still hurts a bit.

schadenfreude

• Coming to a law school near you..in 2008.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 07:07:56 PM »

I've got a 177/3.3. What the bleep are they looking for? My index on LSN is over 95, with the average accepted index being about 93, and the highest rejected index being a 93.9 or something similar.

I got waitlisted at UVA (also out of state), which I think would be a heck of a lot tougher than getting accepted to UW. The problem is that a waitlisting at UVA doesn't do me any good and UW was one of my top choices.

This one hurts. 

Sorry to hear that...

Are you in-state?  UW has a goal to enroll 70% in-staters(if I remember correctly from their website), and this may have been a factor if you are out-of-state.

Also they may have thought you were overqualified and rejected you for yield protection.  I have gathered on this board that UW's admission standards are pretty random and unpredictable. 

I am still waiting for my UW letter...

What does "yield protection" mean? I didn't read the 70% stat on the web, but I will certainly go back to look for it since I would be an out-of-stater applicant.

I've been watching UW on LSN, and I'm fraking scared of that school. I see a lot of quality getting rejected. Don't they "claim" to accept/enroll 20% of students 30+? Frankly that was one of the factors that attracted me to them..that and their incredible facilities.

My gpa would garner me an auto-reject if they really are so strict with GPA. I don't know whether to keep or remove them from my app list.
Fall 2007 Application List
Oregon, Miami, Florida State, Florida, USC, UCLA, McGeorge,LSU, Kentucky, USD, Montana, New Mexico, UWashington, Georgetown, South Carolina

superrob-rp7

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 09:52:05 AM »

What does "yield protection" mean? I didn't read the 70% stat on the web, but I will certainly go back to look for it since I would be an out-of-stater applicant.

I've been watching UW on LSN, and I'm fraking scared of that school. I see a lot of quality getting rejected. Don't they "claim" to accept/enroll 20% of students 30+? Frankly that was one of the factors that attracted me to them..that and their incredible facilities.

My gpa would garner me an auto-reject if they really are so strict with GPA. I don't know whether to keep or remove them from my app list.

Yield protection is a ploy (often?) used by law schools aimed at keeping their acceptance rates down (and their prestige up), by rejecting otherwise qualified (and often over-qualified) applicants who the schools think will not attend theirs, if accepted.  These schools tend to accept only those who, in their view, have a decent chance of attending. Not sure if true, but I have heard stories of schools soliciting excessive applications in a deliberate attempt to keep their acceptance rate down.     

kirps

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why don't you burn in hell?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 10:47:44 AM »

This one hurts. 

Sorry to hear that...

Also they may have thought you were overqualified and rejected you for yield protection.  I have gathered on this board that UW's admission standards are pretty random and unpredictable. 

They seem EXTREMELY selective given their ranking, but to be honest Seattle University is just as oddly selective, leading me to believe its the fact that those are really the only game in town unless you are willing to do Gonzaga. Even then it also seems as though UW and SU pretty well have the Seattle market cornered with UW being the 800lb gorilla. I think the particulars of that market are what is driving the acceptance wierdness going on there. If you look at their admissions page you can find the chart of GPA and LSAT ranges vs. acceptances. They seem to be almost auto-admit in the three top and right most boxes but then drop to 50/50 in the 3.5-3.74 / 166-168 bracket (me, I got dinged)

http://www.law.washington.edu/Admissions/Statistics.html
In: W&L, DePaul, NEU, Seattle, BC($$$)
Not Not In: GW, Cornell,American, UVA, Vandy
Not In: UW, ND, HLS, UMich, Chicago,  Yale, G-Town, Duke

LSN

Blog[/url

schadenfreude

• Coming to a law school near you..in 2008.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 02:04:44 AM »

This one hurts. 

Sorry to hear that...

They seem EXTREMELY selective given their ranking, but to be honest Seattle University is just as oddly selective, leading me to believe its the fact that those are really the only game in town unless you are willing to do Gonzaga. Even then it also seems as though UW and SU pretty well have the Seattle market cornered with UW being the 800lb gorilla. I think the particulars of that market are what is driving the acceptance wierdness going on there. If you look at their admissions page you can find the chart of GPA and LSAT ranges vs. acceptances. They seem to be almost auto-admit in the three top and right most boxes but then drop to 50/50 in the 3.5-3.74 / 166-168 bracket (me, I got dinged)

http://www.law.washington.edu/Admissions/Statistics.html

If what you and superrob are saying is true...I will probably remove them from the list. Yield Protection seems very sinister. Seattle is one of the most impressive cities to live! Why would they think people wouldn't WANT to go there? Are we talking about "Safety School complex"?  :o :o

Ehhh....I've got a headache.
Fall 2007 Application List
Oregon, Miami, Florida State, Florida, USC, UCLA, McGeorge,LSU, Kentucky, USD, Montana, New Mexico, UWashington, Georgetown, South Carolina

superrob-rp7

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 11:38:43 PM »

If what you and superrob are saying is true...I will probably remove them from the list. Yield Protection seems very sinister. Seattle is one of the most impressive cities to live! Why would they think people wouldn't WANT to go there? Are we talking about "Safety School complex"?  :o :o

Ehhh....I've got a headache.

I think it's not so much a school thinking someone will not WANT to attend, but just that theirs is much lower in terms of preference than other schools.  The most obvious reasons I can think of is when someone has much higher LSAT/GPAs than their range, implying that she will get into other "better" schools (in terms of preference and/or rankings), leading the school to assume that she will not attend.  Ties to an area is another thing.  If someone has spent her whole life in, say, NYC, how could a school be convinced that this person will come to Seattle for law school?  Out-of-staters are at a disadvantage anyway, because of UW's 70% in-state target.  Their strong emphasis on public service is another factor which may sway their decisions. 

If you really want to go to UW, I see no reason why yield protection should put you off.  If you are concerned, it may help to emphasize in your personal statement just how much you want to go, and why.  I tried to do that, but ended up not doing so because of the shorter length (2 pages double-spaced).