Law School Discussion

Waiting on UVA

Re: Waiting on UVA
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2007, 11:53:48 PM »
One explanation I've come to consider is: Schools that are as selective as UVA may receive applications from applicants whose credentials put them on an admissions threshold.  Often times the school will review and subsequently hold those applicants' files in the hopes of comparing said applicants to other similar applicants whose applications are anticipated.  This could be just an old J.D.s' tale, but it might be another one of those dirty little tricks (like the distribution of fee waivers at law school expos).  Just my $0.02.

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007, 12:12:25 AM »
One explanation I've come to consider is: Schools that are as selective as UVA may receive applications from applicants whose credentials put them on an admissions threshold.  Often times the school will review and subsequently hold those applicants' files in the hopes of comparing said applicants to other similar applicants whose applications are anticipated.  This could be just an old J.D.s' tale, but it might be another one of those dirty little tricks (like the distribution of fee waivers at law school expos).  Just my $0.02.

No this is actually what I was told by admissions in response to an e-mail I sent regarding my application.

beeker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2007, 06:10:44 AM »
I am waiting on UVA too, but I have only been complete for three weeks so I suppose I can't complain...

SugarJ

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2007, 09:07:26 AM »
I am waiting on UVA too, but I have only been complete for three weeks so I suppose I can't complain...

I'm at about 11 weeks at complete now. UVA (as someone else mentioned) is basically the only school I've yet to hear from that I have a chance at (I have a similarly small chance at 2 others, waiting for the last 2 dings). Plus - it's my first choice school (and I'm not throwing that word around  :o)

According to LSN - they've basically only been sending out acceptances... which makes me worried that I (we) are in the first batch of rejections (a la Michigan)

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2007, 09:19:57 AM »
Do you guys consider UVA a target or reach?  anyone mind sharing #s?

I'm at 15+ weeks myself.  My numbers are literally the median numbers at UVA published for the last class.  I don't know where that puts me on their scale considering that there is a new LSAT policy and fewer applicants.

I'm sure they are similarly at a loss about that question, or at least that's what I tell myself.  It has been about 3 months since I heard a decision (hooray for Georgetown, the decisive ones ;D)  Its making me wig out just a bit (posting at 12:30 should be proof enough).  6 deferrals and 3 other hesitant schools will do that to a person.  I'm not in admissions hell...just purgatory.

Good luck out there in keyboard land.

In the SAME boat as you Tapper...and SugarJ- I feel your pain.  UVA has had a special coveted place in my heart (aka first choice) and that is not something I throw around lightly either.  I can't take this suspense any longer- plus I visited the school (when it was closed during winter break) and fell in love with it even more...I will be crushed if we are the first round of rejections.

MY

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2007, 10:02:45 AM »
you guys are probably getting in and we who got the email on Friday are probably rejected. This is just crazy, you're numbers are really good so i am sure you all are IN

Hey Now

• This Is Why I'm Hot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2007, 10:09:13 AM »
Complete in early december, not a word since.

SugarJ

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2007, 10:32:56 AM »
Do you guys consider UVA a target or reach?  anyone mind sharing #s?

I'm at 15+ weeks myself.  My numbers are literally the median numbers at UVA published for the last class.  I don't know where that puts me on their scale considering that there is a new LSAT policy and fewer applicants.

I'm sure they are similarly at a loss about that question, or at least that's what I tell myself.  It has been about 3 months since I heard a decision (hooray for Georgetown, the decisive ones ;D)  Its making me wig out just a bit (posting at 12:30 should be proof enough).  6 deferrals and 3 other hesitant schools will do that to a person.  I'm not in admissions hell...just purgatory.

Good luck out there in keyboard land.

In the SAME boat as you Tapper...and SugarJ- I feel your pain.  UVA has had a special coveted place in my heart (aka first choice) and that is not something I throw around lightly either.  I can't take this suspense any longer- plus I visited the school (when it was closed during winter break) and fell in love with it even more...I will be crushed if we are the first round of rejections.

I even wanted to go there for undergrad and got waitlisted! (I attributed it to the fact that I was out-of-state  :D) Now it's law time, and everything I loved about UVA has been rekindled with an even stronger flame

* ::) cheesy*

ButImAGilmore

• Fight On!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2007, 10:36:59 AM »
you guys are probably getting in and we who got the email on Friday are probably rejected. This is just crazy, you're numbers are really good so i am sure you all are IN

Frankly if you get rejected I will be highly disappointed. I did not get the status change email on Friday, and therefore would not be in the first batch of rejections. If I'm going to get rejected, I would at least like to be first at it. I'm very competitive  ;D

SugarJ

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2007, 10:45:49 AM »

Frankly if you get rejected I will be highly disappointed. I did not get the status change email on Friday, and therefore would not be in the first batch of rejections. If I'm going to get rejected, I would at least like to be first at it. I'm very competitive  ;D

Wait - did everyone get a status checker change? I didn't... still at complete...