Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Generic Person PS  (Read 1550 times)

Fred Hits

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Generic Person PS
« on: September 09, 2004, 09:36:19 PM »
im only starting a new thread here becuz i think what i am asking will apply to a lot of people.  we all know schools like to know what about you is unique and interesting; how you've beaten poverty, worked 40 hours a week just to get thru college, how you've grown up be a disadvantaged minority, done something incredibly unique.  Most of us however, are for the most part coming from the same place.  We are basically coming to ls right out of college (or shortly after), did not necessarily have to work all the time, grew up in a decent middle class community, have worked really hard and been active in school and the community.  The question then is- What can we possibly write about that is different or will make us stick out???  My honest belief is that you simply have to be honest and yeah if your reasons for going to law school are boring and typical to still write about them- hopefully your honesty and true enthusiasm will somehow shine thru.  What do the rest of you think?  What are your strategies?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Person PS
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 10:05:12 PM »
This is why I've decided to NOT write optional diversity essays for the two schools I'm applying to that ask for them.  I'd rather turn in nothing than turn in something that sounds trite and contrived.  I had a good experience I was able to use for a compelling PS, but nothing else that would be a really good "diversity" essay.

TheDecline

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 10:16:23 PM »
I agree.  I contemplated all the different ways that I might be diverse, but in the end they all came out sounding cheap.  Therefore, I'm not going to write any diversity essays.  I figure the risk is too great and wouldn't add that much to my overall application anyway. 

dr_draino

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 10:20:10 PM »
I think people in this type aren't being reflective enough...there is always something unique to write about.  This comes from a boring upper-middle class white guy whose parents paid his way through college.  On the optional diversity essays, the others may be right, but I think many people have something that constitutes "diversity" that just aren't being observant enough about it...not in all cases, but certainly do some truely objective reflection on your life and experiences before you discount yourself as dull and overly-normal.

im only starting a new thread here becuz i think what i am asking will apply to a lot of people.  we all know schools like to know what about you is unique and interesting; how you've beaten poverty, worked 40 hours a week just to get thru college, how you've grown up be a disadvantaged minority, done something incredibly unique.  Most of us however, are for the most part coming from the same place.  We are basically coming to ls right out of college (or shortly after), did not necessarily have to work all the time, grew up in a decent middle class community, have worked really hard and been active in school and the community.  The question then is- What can we possibly write about that is different or will make us stick out???  My honest belief is that you simply have to be honest and yeah if your reasons for going to law school are boring and typical to still write about them- hopefully your honesty and true enthusiasm will somehow shine thru.  What do the rest of you think?  What are your strategies?

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 01:33:30 AM »
I to am from a rather non-discript family and am apply right out of colelge, grad school in my case. I decided to write mine on a car accident I had in Namibia. Not really all that remarkable, but i was able to relate the people who helped me to my desire to help others and how traveling has expaned my outlook on life blah blah blah. I am sure that if you look hard enough there is something that has happened to you that you can realte to a desire to practice law.

lexylit

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 01:35:47 AM »
I agree.  I contemplated all the different ways that I might be diverse, but in the end they all came out sounding cheap.  Therefore, I'm not going to write any diversity essays.  I figure the risk is too great and wouldn't add that much to my overall application anyway. 

what's the risk?

like if you write a "i'm white but still diverse and interesting" statement and it's well-written, and someone reads it and concludes that you are not, in fact, particularly diverse, although you are an enthusiastic applicant who writes well, what is lost?

honestly. not being facetious.

newy

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 12:55:14 PM »
like if you write a "i'm white but still diverse and interesting" statement and it's well-written, and someone reads it and concludes that you are not, in fact, particularly diverse, although you are an enthusiastic applicant who writes well, what is lost?

Good point Lexy.  I agree with you. 

IMO, the diversity statement doesn't have to be something that differentiates you from 95% of the other applicants but just something that differentiates you from the majority.  I'm writing about coming from a really small town.  I figure even if I don't prove that I'm diverse, I will at least have another chance to showcase my writing.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2004, 04:45:13 PM »
Well written bull *&^% is still bull *&^%.  I still agree with fred hits on the "diversity" essay.  Everyone has material for a great PS, but for those optional diversity essays, they're asking for cultural, ethnic, socio-economic, etc. diversity, which as a white middle class female from an the suburbs can't really offer without pulling together total BS.  And the one or two family aspects that are much different from most suburban families are things I'd prefer not to share with an adcom, or most people for that  matter.

TheDecline

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 06:00:04 PM »

what's the risk?

honestly. not being facetious.

Damn you, you're making me reconsider. :D 

Although, in my case I still feel that I've made any diverse aspects of myself known in my PS, and anything else would be pushing the limit of being cheap. 

lexylit

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2004, 08:07:08 PM »
just to give you a sense, my diversity statement reads a little more like the answer to dukes optional essay about academic diversity-- how or why do you bring a perspective to the classroom that is unique? i was not a dilettante in UG, i basically took my major twice over and then went off to grad school, so i wanted to articulate how that adds to diversity more than someone right out of UG might, rather than just meaning that i beef up a school's "number of students with grad degrees" stat.