Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Must I sent tax returns into each school to get a fin aid report?  (Read 752 times)

SugarJ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Some schools I am considering only if they award me scholarships... must I send the tax returns into every school I've been accepted to and I am considering in order to receive a fin aid report?
Cornell Class of 2011 (deferring for a year!)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=30secondstolaw

h2xblive

Re: Must I sent tax returns into each school to get a fin aid report?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 02:31:22 PM »
Some schools I am considering only if they award me scholarships... must I send the tax returns into every school I've been accepted to and I am considering in order to receive a fin aid report?

Has your FAFSA been processed as well?

SugarJ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 02:42:35 PM »
Yes - FAFSA done, sent, and Need Access done, sent. All individual school forms are done, sent.

h2xblive

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 02:55:14 PM »
I spoke with a financial aid officer today and the impression I got was that some schools will decide need based financial awards from looking at FAFSA and the school's own financial aid application (where applicable).  Only then, will the school ask for actual tax documents to verify what was originally reported in the FAFSA and the school's financial aid application.

I'm not quite sure myself, and I await any more responses to this thread.

SugarJ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 02:56:34 PM »
I spoke with a financial aid officer today and the impression I got was that some schools will decide need based financial awards from looking at FAFSA and the school's own financial aid application (where applicable).  Only then, will the school ask for actual tax documents to verify what was originally reported in the FAFSA.

I'm not quite sure myself, and I await any responses you get.

That's what I thought too... but then I called one school today and the woman was like.. wah wah where are your tax forms. Granted I'm probably going to the school I called, I just don't feel like sending tax returns to a bunch of schools... I'd rather just get scholarship info and bargain

h2xblive

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 03:00:18 PM »
I spoke with a financial aid officer today and the impression I got was that some schools will decide need based financial awards from looking at FAFSA and the school's own financial aid application (where applicable).  Only then, will the school ask for actual tax documents to verify what was originally reported in the FAFSA.

I'm not quite sure myself, and I await any responses you get.

That's what I thought too... but then I called one school today and the woman was like.. wah wah where are your tax forms. Granted I'm probably going to the school I called, I just don't feel like sending tax returns to a bunch of schools... I'd rather just get scholarship info and bargain

I know what you mean.  I only need my FAFSA for one school, and I'm debating whether or not to even send it to other schools, since I want to avoid sending more personal information than necessary.

Here's a quote from the UGA financial aid website:

"Verification Process

The U.S. Dept. of Ed. created the Verification Process to confirm the accuracy of information submitted on the FAFSA. Your SAR may indicate your application was selected for Verification. However, UGA participates in the U.S. Dept. of Ed.'s Quality Assurance Program (QAP) so only students who receive Verification Worksheets from us are required to complete the process at UGA. Even if your SAR does not state you have been selected by the U.S. Dept. of Ed., you may be required to complete a Verification Worksheet and provide us tax forms. You should only provide tax documents if we request them.

At a minimum, we will ask you to verify the following: Adjusted Gross Income, federal income taxes paid, untaxed income, household size, and number of family members in college. Complete the Worksheet and submit copies of all requested signed federal income tax returns and W-2 forms.

As part of the Verification Process, it may become necessary for you to submit additional information. You should promptly submit the requested information to us. If discrepancies are noted between the information submitted on your FAFSA and the Verification documents, we will electronically transmit the correct information to the U.S. Dept. of Ed. Central Processing System (CPS). We will contact you if we need additional information to process your application for student financial aid. Please respond promptly to prevent delays in processing your application for aid. We cannot determine your aid eligibility until the Verification Process is complete."

http://www.uga.edu/osfa/application.html

h2xblive

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 03:02:34 PM »
It seems like every school is different.

SugarJ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 03:07:05 PM »
It seems like every school is different.

Thanks for the info!

Ya - one school that I'm a candidate for a scholarship requested my tax forms...

SugarJ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 04:17:33 PM »
And also - does anyone know if I can send in the 2005 tax returns? My 2006 ones aren't complete yet, and some require tax forms for the package.

I just called one school but they're closed already! So much for the "We close at 4:30pm"