Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone bringing pets?  (Read 8770 times)

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
Re: Anyone bringing pets?
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2007, 01:59:44 PM »
i can't imagine having time to walk a dog during 1L

I have a dog and a bird at home. They're both technically "family" pets, but:

1) The dog is a Beagle. He is VERY active, and demands constant attention. He's still a puppy, so this may decline with age, but for now, there is no way he'd let me study at all. He also HATES being left alone, and will howl endlessly when it happens -- this is fine and dandy in the NJ suburbs, where I'm plenty far from the neighbors, but in an apartment building, I don't think it'd go over too well.

2) The bird is a budgerigar (like a big parakeet). He also happens to be pretty noisy -- he talks and squawks a lot. I'd love to steal him and take him to Law School with me, but he would be pretty bummed if my dad wasn't around. He basically lives on my dad's head.

SO! Assuming Pets are allowed wherever I go, I'll probably get a bird once I get to wherever I'm going. I'll miss my dog for sure, but there isn't much that I can do about it -- I already feel bad that I work all day and leave him at home. Birds are easy to take care of: you make sure that their seed dish and water are always full, and you remove the bird-poop from the cage every morning. It takes about 5 minutes a day, and the bird is quite happy to sit on your computer while you get some work done.

Who knows, I may get lonely and head to the ASPCA and adopt an older dog. I'm leaning against that, but if I have a dog at law school, that's likely how I'll get it.
VIP.

GiggityGiggity

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2007, 02:04:34 PM »
I'm bringing a 90 pound pit bull wherever I end up..which makes it difficult since a lot of states have breed specific legislation :-\

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2007, 02:07:07 PM »
I'm bringing a 90 pound pit bull wherever I end up..which makes it difficult since a lot of states have breed specific legislation :-\

Which is total crap b/c most pit bulls are such great dogs

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2007, 02:07:51 PM »

They do indeed. I think when you walk one in Boston proper, for example, they have to wear a muzzle.

Unfortunately a lot of people who should not have pit bulls do have pit bulls, and that is only bad for the breed.

jimfoolery

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bo knows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2007, 02:10:38 PM »
I have been out at a meeting since I posted this and I am so happy to have so many responses!

Glad I'm not the only one!  My dog is a schnauzer-poodle mix (see avatar) and I really don't want to leave him with my parents.

I can see what people mean about not having time...but for me personally, I am so used to having dogs in my life on a daily basis, that I know with the stress of law school, I need to have one with me if at all possible.  I grew up with them but this is the first one that has actually been mine and he is so good for me.  I wake up early to walk him, so I am wide awake and ready for my day a couple hours earlier than I usually would be, and I get so much more accomplished.  And I am NOT a morning person.

I have a dogwalker now, for while I am at work, and I expect to do the same thing for while I am at school.  Walkers are usually cheaper than doggie daycare for those who will be weighing those options.  And I am much more of a study at home type of person...so I expect to be around for him and not always at the library.

I got him this winter specifically so that he wouldn't be a baby when I started school.  He'll be about a year old then, so housebroken and cratetrained and all.

If anyone ends up at the same school as me...I'm thinking puppy playdates!

Cool pooch, beeker.  Could you tell me a bit about finding a dogwalker?  Does he/she just stop by your house in the middle of the day while you're out?  Did you have to give them a key?  If so, did this make you at all nervous?  Did you have to run a criminal background check or anything?

And fraggle, if you don't mind my asking, about how much does a day of doggie daycare cost?  It would really ease my mind to be able to drop my dog off a couple of times during a busy week.

I've been pondering the idea of finding housemates with dogs, starting a kind of dog co-op.  I'd like to live alone, but it'd be nice to know that a housemate could let my dog out to do her business if I'm ever held up at the library or whatever.  Has anybody else considered this?

Werewolf bar mitzvah, spooky, scary,
Boys becoming men, men becoming wolves!

GiggityGiggity

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2007, 02:14:49 PM »

Which is total crap b/c most pit bulls are such great dogs

YES!! Zamora, I agree with you, too. There are lots of unsavory characters attracted to Pit Bulls.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2007, 02:16:53 PM »
I have been out at a meeting since I posted this and I am so happy to have so many responses!

Glad I'm not the only one!  My dog is a schnauzer-poodle mix (see avatar) and I really don't want to leave him with my parents.

I can see what people mean about not having time...but for me personally, I am so used to having dogs in my life on a daily basis, that I know with the stress of law school, I need to have one with me if at all possible.  I grew up with them but this is the first one that has actually been mine and he is so good for me.  I wake up early to walk him, so I am wide awake and ready for my day a couple hours earlier than I usually would be, and I get so much more accomplished.  And I am NOT a morning person.

I have a dogwalker now, for while I am at work, and I expect to do the same thing for while I am at school.  Walkers are usually cheaper than doggie daycare for those who will be weighing those options.  And I am much more of a study at home type of person...so I expect to be around for him and not always at the library.

I got him this winter specifically so that he wouldn't be a baby when I started school.  He'll be about a year old then, so housebroken and cratetrained and all.

If anyone ends up at the same school as me...I'm thinking puppy playdates!

Cool pooch, beeker.  Could you tell me a bit about finding a dogwalker?  Does he/she just stop by your house in the middle of the day while you're out?  Did you have to give them a key?  If so, did this make you at all nervous?  Did you have to run a criminal background check or anything?

And fraggle, if you don't mind my asking, about how much does a day of doggie daycare cost?  It would really ease my mind to be able to drop my dog off a couple of times during a busy week.

I've been pondering the idea of finding housemates with dogs, starting a kind of dog co-op.  I'd like to live alone, but it'd be nice to know that a housemate could let my dog out to do her business if I'm ever held up at the library or whatever.  Has anybody else thought about this?

I think that this could be a dream come true with the right crew, but it can be heinously awful too.  My last house had four dogs belonging to three different owners.  I thought it would be a huge help, but it turned out that I really didn't trust those fucktards with my dogs.  Neither of the guys was particularly responsible, either...their dogs weren't on flea prevention, for example.  So our entire house ended up infested and one of my poor girls ended up losing clumps of hair due to a bad allergic reaction.  Needless to say, we moved out after four months.  

My current roommate is perfect in my book.  She loves pets and doesn't have any, so she's more than happy to lavish my dogs and cat with tons of affection.
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2007, 02:20:55 PM »
jimfoolery...

Finding a dogwalker was pretty easy actually.  I mean I suppose it will depend on how rural the school is.  In cities and most suburbs its no problem...it's as simple as a google or craigslist search. Also, my vet publishes sort of an animal yellow pages with people who provide that sort of services.

My is an older woman (in her sixties) and her husband who do it as just a fun side business in their retirement.  Normally, you call up and set up an appt. for the walker to come meet you and the dog.  If its someone you aren't comfortable with, just simply say you are going to go in another direction because you do give them a key to your house.  You also just pick which times you will need them.  My comes once or twice a day depending on my hours.  You usually need to give a few days notice...I have a set schedule every week since I am working.  Most will do last minute calls, but some charge a bit extra for late notice.

They should be able to provide references.  I trusted mine right away, so I didn't bother calling.  I leave out paper and she leaves me a note every time she is there to let me know how my little guy did (and what he did outside).  Most will also feed and water the dog if needed.  It costs me $17 a walk for 30 minutes.  Most doggie day cares I looked into were about $30 a day.  This is in the suburbs of Boston.  My sister has one in the actual city that costs $10 for twenty minutes or $12 for forty.  In the city I think you can find someone cheaper bc they can walk them with a few other dogs, whereas mine has to drive to my house and walk just my dog.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Hadn't thought about living with other dog people.  My last roommate experience was a bad one so I am pretty into living alone right now...but that's a great  thing to consider...so maybe I should change my mind...

jimfoolery

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bo knows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2007, 03:53:27 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice, guys!  The combination of vet listings and references would suffice for a dog walker; I guess it's overly paranoid to bother w/ background checks, etc. 

The more I think about it, the more unlikely it seems that I'd be able to arrange, w/ strangers in a new city, housing that is both dog- and me-friendly.  I guess I've lived alone long enough now that I've forgotten how stressful having housemates can be--it's coming back to me, though.       
Werewolf bar mitzvah, spooky, scary,
Boys becoming men, men becoming wolves!

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2007, 04:00:39 PM »
if it turns out that i don't take my dogs to law school, i may get a couple of ferrets.
srsly.
descented and declawed.
they use kitty-litter like a cat and are way more fun than most cats.