14 (48.3%)
Last name, "Dear Mr. Smith"
 14 (48.3%)
Both, "John Doe"
 1 (3.4%)
Neither, "Dear Applicant"
 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Which schools address you by your first name and which by your last?  (Read 701 times)

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm on sort of a random tangent and curious about what others think. UC Davis does last name, which I find professional, but other schools that use my first often feel more personal.

SilentSwirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Summer!
    • View Profile
Re: Which schools address you by your first name and which by your last?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 11:14:37 PM »
I picked last name just because my last name is 3 syllables and my first name is 5. I don't know why it matters. Except that both of them together are a mouthful.

In no order:

Texas        - Last
Chicago Kent - Last
Emory        - Both
Houston      - First
American     - Last, First (by far my least favorite)
Fordham      - First (when answering an email from me)
North Carolina-First (also answering an email)
Baylor       - First
SMU          - None!
Notre Dame   - None!
Vanderbilt   - Last
Duke         - Last
Georgetown   - Both

But really, it's just a stock email that has little places that get automatically filled with my name. So, either way it feels about as personal as a rock. :)

That was fun. Can you tell I'm procrastinating?

Shamless plug: Fill out my survey please!! http://www.stellarsurvey.com/response/s.aspx?u=10441   Okay, thanks.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 11:21:30 PM »
That was kind of an odd survey, but it was law related and pretty interesting.

SilentSwirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 11:26:01 PM »
That was kind of an odd survey, but it was law related and pretty interesting.

Yay! Thank you for taking it :)  I think it's pretty interesting too. My thesis is about how collectivism/particularism (culture) affect legal systems.

Anyway, wasn't meaning to hijack this thread.

So, how 'bout them schools that call ya by yer first name, eh? :) I don't think I'd actually processed the difference. And I think it's sad that I'm discussing it. It just goes to show how obsessed I am. Bah!

mantis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 11:30:33 PM »
I like first.. I don't know why.  I think because I'm not used to being addressed as "Ms. Mantis" yet.  Makes me feel old.  And it seems like the vast majority of their applicants must be in the young-ish range.  It makes sense to address them by their first names, no?  My list (just the ones that haven't been covered already):

Penn -- Last
Northwestern -- First
Michigan -- First
Washington -- Both
Virginia -- Last
Harvard -- Both
Columbia -- Both

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 01:34:16 AM »
I thought about it and I think I prefer the more personal approach, although this is really just nitpicking and me procrastinating studying for midterms. After all, while a law school is a professional school, we'll hopefully be more than just colleagues of the people we meet. Everyone in my formative years went by their first name, including teachers, so it seems weird to be known by my surname unless I joined the military or something.

SilentSwirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 01:54:37 AM »
I thought about it and I think I prefer the more personal approach, although this is really just nitpicking and me procrastinating studying for midterms. After all, while a law school is a professional school, we'll hopefully be more than just colleagues of the people we meet. Everyone in my formative years went by their first name, including teachers, so it seems weird to be known by my surname unless I joined the military or something.

Your TEACHERS? Were you home-schooled or something?  Through high school my teachers were always "Mrs. So-and-So." In college my professors are "Dr. Your-Almighty-Majesty-Who-Knows-So-Much."  Okay, maybe not quite that bad, but definitely "Dr. So-and-So" to their face and "El Jefe" behind their backs.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 02:05:42 AM »

Your TEACHERS? Were you home-schooled or something?  Through high school my teachers were always "Mrs. So-and-So." In college my professors are "Dr. Your-Almighty-Majesty-Who-Knows-So-Much."  Okay, maybe not quite that bad, but definitely "Dr. So-and-So" to their face and "El Jefe" behind their backs.

I guess I should have been a bit more specific. I meant my elementary school teachers, and since I didn't go to most of high school, people have been "Professor so-and-so" or their first name, usually.

SilentSwirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 02:11:21 AM »

I guess I should have been a bit more specific. I meant my elementary school teachers, and since I didn't go to most of high school, people have been "Professor so-and-so" or their first name, usually.

*Shrug* Sounds pretty rare, to me.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 02:13:14 AM »
Well, it was school-wide, so I don't know if it was policy or something the teachers all adopted or what, but everyone called their teachers by their first names at this school, K-5.