Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waitlisted...letter of continued interest-should i mention my other acceptances?  (Read 2595 times)

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
I was waitlisted at my top choice.  I was accepted to other similarly ranked schools, some with money.  Should i mention somethign along the lines of how i was accepted to these programs but would rather attend the waitlisted school?  Do you think that this would come off as rude for some reasons?
Princeton Law 2010

Tuttipoopoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Although it is definitely a bit risky, I don't think there is anything wrong with that if worded correctly.  If you let a school know that you're in at other similarly ranked schools (and maybe even name a couple) but then you make it clear that they're your top choice, I don't see how that can come off as anything but nice.  It shows they really are your top choice.   

I'm not sure if I'd mention the "with money" part though.  That just seems a bit like "what the hell, i have gotten money from other schools with the same rank, and rank is all that matters, so f*ckin accept me"...ya know?
Waiting.....

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Yeah, I agree.  Get in first, and then later see if you can get them to match scholarship offers.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
I was waitlisted at my top choice.  I was accepted to other similarly ranked schools, some with money.  Should i mention somethign along the lines of how i was accepted to these programs but would rather attend the waitlisted school?  Do you think that this would come off as rude for some reasons?
This is exactly what I sent to my top choice (hey OP, withdraw from wisco!  ;) ) :

Addendum Pertaining to Guaranteed Matriculation

As tuition deposit deadlines approach, I hereby reiterate my continued interest in attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison.  In addition to admission at George Mason University, I am willing to pass up the following scholarship offers to attend law school in my home state:

$9,000 at the University of Tennessee (contingent on good standing)
   $25,500 at the University of Indiana-Bloomington (contingent on a 3.0 GPA)
   $30,000 at the University of Arkansas (contingent on a 2.0 GPA)
   $45,000 at DePaul University (contingent on a 3.3 GPA)
   $60,000 at the University of St. Thomas (contingent on good standing)
   $68,400 at Hamline University (contingent on a 3.0 GPA)[/QUOTE]

I sent it as an attachment, with a brief, "please add this to my file" and got back a "thanks for the update" message.  GOD I HOPE THEY LET ME IN!

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
i'm also on the waitlist for my top choice, american.  i will probably mention some other comparable schools that i was accepted to.  perhaps you should also reiterate that you are committed to staying in the area after, i dunno.  however, i don't think i will mention the scholarships--i just see it as a double-edged sword.  while it does show that you are committed to your top choice, it also could show that you would expect the school to give you money as well.  i think this is risky.  one of my friends, a student who works in law admissions at a top 40 school, said to me that i should seriously begin to look at other school...you will likely get off the list maybe in may or june and by then, most of the scholarship money will be depleted.
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
If you're talking to me, I'm not shooting for scholarship money, because I get instate tuition at Wisco

gettingoutofwilliamsburg

• Trey is a Jedi
    • View Profile
    • LSN
I just sent out an LOCI this weekend to a school who's decision is pending (X) and mentioned my acceptance to a comparable school ranked slightly higher (Y). This is how I phrased it:

"In the interest of covering all the bases, I have put in a seat deposit on my acceptance to Y Law School. I feel that Y and X are both excellent schools that will undoubtedly provide more than ample preparation for my legal career, however I must express my predilection for X Law School. As such my deposit to X Law will be forthcoming should my application be accepted."

I feel like this was an unoffensive way to leverage, hopefully you'll find it helpful
W&M UG
2.81 - 169

You Enjoy Myself (in): FSU ($$$$), Penn State, George Mason, Miami, Wake ($$), Stetson
Down With Disease (out): Emory, Florida
Bittersweet Motel (WL): W&M, GW
Wading in the Velvet Sea (pending): None, cycle over

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=mspaol