Law School Discussion

That's it, Rearden.

Garry Shandling

• How's My Hair?
    • View Profile
Re: That's it, Rearden.
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2007, 05:39:52 PM »
Quote from: Miss Celies Blues link=topic=82020.msg1983513#msg1983513

was that a good reaction or a bad one?  ???
[/quote

Good.  Did that just happen?

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2007, 05:40:33 PM »
No, I'm cutting him slack because 1) he's definitely not PC about his comments, but just because he's not PC doesn't mean he's racist;

This isn't, wasn't, and never will be a problem for me.  I'm certainly not PC, either.

Him not being PC has nothing to do with him being a racist.

and 2) online personas are different from real-life, and while you are reacting to what he's posted online, I think you may be taking things too seriously.

No.

I'm with J on this one.  The first quote (500 years et al) was ignorant and offensive.  The second quote (with all the wonderful 'stats') was like a slap in the face.  It's like biting into a thick juicy steak only to find out that it's infested with maggots.

Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2007, 05:40:56 PM »
I've been telling you guys he's a feminine hygiene product for a while.  He's just as bad as Blue.

And there will always be a special ring in Spaulding hell for those who feel the need to defend those accused of racism in the way MPark just did.  If you get uncomfortable when racism is pointed out and you turn on the accuser and not the origiantor of the racist comment, there is something fundamentally wrong with you.  I suspect that the racist will reform his/her ways before you do.  If you can't see it in those two posts quoted here or in the rest of his work, you never will.

I got Spaulding back-up.  It's a weird little world.

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2007, 05:41:49 PM »
To be perfectly fair, while some things that Hank posts are certainly poorly written I think it's quite a jump to actually call them racist.

I'm with Inspector Javert - it seems like this thread's an overreaction to things Hank has said. I repeat a previous poster's question: OP, what brought this on all of a sudden?

I answered that question.

I will also ask you what I asked Gyges: have you read this thread?

Or are you just cutting Hank slack because you find him "charming"? 

FFS

No, I'm cutting him slack because 1) he's definitely not PC about his comments, but just because he's not PC doesn't mean he's racist; and 2) online personas are different from real-life, and while you are reacting to what he's posted online, I think you may be taking things too seriously.

My problem with the bolded is that his online personality and the things that i've read that he posted may be the true him, but in public around me or Moni, he may put on a facade and be fake.  I rather know that ish up front so I don't have to deal with it or the person.

UVA!?!?

Sorry ...

was that a good reaction or a bad one?  ???

Good.  Did that just happen?

Yup! I'm thrilled!  Ty
hijack over

For someone with the ambition he has, I'm surprised he doesn't think some of the sh*t he's written here won't come back to haunt him.

I would have no problem if it did, either.

good point

« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2007, 05:42:09 PM »
Harmonium, or anyone else, it behooves me to think that anyone could see this sentence alone as not being unbelievably ignorant and racist:

500 years ago white Europeans were exploring the globe, making strides in astronomy, inventing things, writing great pieces of literature, but blacks were doing nothing.

racism - a belief system or doctrine which states that inherent biological differences between human races determine cultural or individual achievement ? with a corollary that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

That could be but is not necessarily racist.

Yes, this was why it didn't seem inherantly racist to me. The fact that Africa did not produce (edit: 500 years ago) a Galileo or Kant does not mean blacks do not have the capacity to produce such individuals in the future. It's completely obvious that they do have this capacity.

Who's writing history, and has been for oh, ever?  >:(

No, that's true; writing is sort of the problem in the whole equation. Part of the reason the West has been so dominate is that it has such a large extant tradition in writing. As Eastern texts have begun to be published extensively, we see cultural inflence disseminating much more readily. Africa simply doesn't comparable written tradition; it's taken relatively modern athropological surveys to even begin to know anything about certain tribes/rituals.

:)

Look, this part made me smile!

But even if such an individual did not emerge from Africa, I didn't think Hank was saying that being black necessarily prevented one from BEING such an individual. That would obviously be racist f*cking BS.

>:(

This part didn't.

Geo_Storm

• I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2007, 05:43:49 PM »
it's fine if he's different IRL. but attack his online persona all you want. I'm sure he's great guy IRL but his online persona should be held accountable for what his online persona did.

Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2007, 05:44:40 PM »
Harmonium, or anyone else, it behooves me to think that anyone could see this sentence alone as not being unbelievably ignorant and racist:

500 years ago white Europeans were exploring the globe, making strides in astronomy, inventing things, writing great pieces of literature, but blacks were doing nothing.

racism - a belief system or doctrine which states that inherent biological differences between human races determine cultural or individual achievement ? with a corollary that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

That could be but is not necessarily racist.

Yes, this was why it didn't seem inherantly racist to me. The fact that Africa did not produce (edit: 500 years ago) a Galileo or Kant does not mean blacks do not have the capacity to produce such individuals in the future. It's completely obvious that they do have this capacity.

Who's writing history, and has been for oh, ever?  >:(

No, that's true; writing is sort of the problem in the whole equation. Part of the reason the West has been so dominate is that it has such a large extant tradition in writing. As Eastern texts have begun to be published extensively, we see cultural inflence disseminating much more readily. Africa simply doesn't comparable written tradition; it's taken relatively modern athropological surveys to even begin to know anything about certain tribes/rituals.

:)

Look, this part made me smile!

But even if such an individual did not emerge from Africa, I didn't think Hank was saying that being black necessarily prevented one from BEING such an individual. That would obviously be racist f*cking BS.

>:(

This part didn't.

Precisely.  He wouldn't have to say that at all without the implications being obvious.

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2007, 05:47:58 PM »
Have you?  I feel like I never see you anymore.

Who was saying it first, is what I want to know: me or you?

It was a while ago, so who knows.  You may have beaten me to the punch, but in sentiment I was always with you.  Look, I'm a hater, what can I say.

And sorry I havne't been around more.  Once I killed off red, breadboy became boring to me and now I just pick off n00bs like nerdphanie.

Stuart

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2007, 07:19:52 PM »
As a relative newcomer, I probably shouldn't butt in (yeah yeah, titcr, I know), but, granted that neither side in the original arguments seem to be particularly dominant, this whole thread reeks of exactly the kind of ad hominem nonsense that I assume you all identified correctly on the LSAT. Return arguments for arguments. If you disagree with Hank, say so and state your reasons precisely. Nothing that has been posted as a quotation by him is sufficient to establish his motives, period. His arguments in the "Crime and punishment" thread, while rather stereotypical, absolutely failed to merit this childish attack.

And Spaulding, you don't seem to care whether the accusations of racism are substantiated or not. Defending somebody accused of racism is worse than being a racist? Always? Period?

Best,
Stuart

obamacon

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2007, 07:24:23 PM »
I've been telling you guys he's a feminine hygiene product for a while.  He's just as bad as Blue.

And there will always be a special ring in Spaulding hell for those who feel the need to defend those accused of racism in the way MPark just did.  If you get uncomfortable when racism is pointed out and you turn on the accuser and not the origiantor of the racist comment, there is something fundamentally wrong with you.  I suspect that the racist will reform his/her ways before you do.  If you can't see it in those two posts quoted here or in the rest of his work, you never will.

I have here in my hand a list of members that were known to H4CS as entertaining racist thoughts, and who, nevertheless, are still posting and shaping the discussion on LSD.