Law School Discussion

That's it, Rearden.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: That's it, Rearden.
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2007, 05:32:14 PM »
To be perfectly fair, while some things that Hank posts are certainly poorly written I think it's quite a jump to actually call them racist.

Have you read what's been posted in this thread?

Yes. I think it is certainly shoddily written, and if you were accusing him for being intermittently tactless I would agree with you. Racist? Not so much.

As a member of the 'race' that is being maligned, I do feel that it is racist and offensive.  hth

Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2007, 05:32:44 PM »
To be perfectly fair, while some things that Hank posts are certainly poorly written I think it's quite a jump to actually call them racist.

Yes. I think it is certainly shoddily written, and if you were accusing him for being intermittently tactless I would agree with you. Racist? Not so much.

Did you read the rest of the threads that were linked?

Have you been observing him for a while?

Also, how do you not feel that that particular post wasn't racist?  Even if (as I suspect you might feel) it was just a naive sort of racism?

Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2007, 05:33:18 PM »

As a member of the 'race' that is being maligned, I do feel that it is racist and offensive.  hth

Another very important point.  Thanks for chiming in.  The quotation marks are key.

Harmonium

• Schiedmayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2007, 05:35:31 PM »
Harmonium, or anyone else, it behooves me to think that anyone could see this sentence alone as not being unbelievably ignorant and racist:

500 years ago white Europeans were exploring the globe, making strides in astronomy, inventing things, writing great pieces of literature, but blacks were doing nothing.

racism - a belief system or doctrine which states that inherent biological differences between human races determine cultural or individual achievement ? with a corollary that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

That could be but is not necessarily racist.

Yes, this was why it didn't seem inherantly racist to me. The fact that Africa did not produce (edit: 500 years ago) a Galileo or Kant does not mean blacks do not have the capacity to produce such individuals in the future. It's completely obvious that they do have this capacity.

Who's writing history, and has been for oh, ever?  >:(

No, that's true; writing is sort of the problem in the whole equation. Part of the reason the West has been so dominate is that it has such a large extant tradition in writing. As Eastern texts have begun to be published extensively, we see cultural inflence disseminating much more readily. Africa simply doesn't comparable written tradition; it's taken relatively modern athropological surveys to even begin to know anything about certain tribes/rituals.

But even if such an individual did not emerge from Africa, I didn't think Hank was saying that being black necessarily prevented one from BEING such an individual. That would obviously be racist f*cking BS.

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2007, 05:35:53 PM »

I'm with Inspector Javert - it seems like this thread's an overreaction to things Hank has said. I repeat a previous poster's question: OP, what brought this on all of a sudden?

I answered that question.

I will also ask you what I asked Gyges: have you read this thread?

Or are you just cutting Hank slack because you find him "charming"? 

FFS

No, I'm cutting him slack because 1) he's definitely not PC about his comments, but just because he's not PC doesn't mean he's racist; and 2) online personas are different from real-life, and while you are reacting to what he's posted online, I think you may be taking things too seriously.

My problem with the bolded is that his online personality and the things that i've read that he posted may be the true him, but in public around me or Moni, he may put on a facade and be fake.  I rather know that ish up front so I don't have to deal with it or the person.

Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2007, 05:36:37 PM »
No, I'm cutting him slack because 1) he's definitely not PC about his comments, but just because he's not PC doesn't mean he's racist;

This isn't, wasn't, and never will be a problem for me.  I'm certainly not PC, either.

Him not being PC has nothing to do with him being a racist.

and 2) online personas are different from real-life, and while you are reacting to what he's posted online, I think you may be taking things too seriously.

No.

Garry Shandling

• How's My Hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2007, 05:37:48 PM »

I'm with Inspector Javert - it seems like this thread's an overreaction to things Hank has said. I repeat a previous poster's question: OP, what brought this on all of a sudden?

FFS

No, I'm cutting him slack because 1) he's definitely not PC about his comments, but just because he's not PC doesn't mean he's racist; and 2) online personas are different from real-life, and while you are reacting to what he's posted online, I think you may be taking things too seriously.

My problem with the bolded is that his online personality and the things that i've read that he posted may be the true him, but in public around me or Moni, he may put on a facade and be fake.  I rather know that ish up front so I don't have to deal with it or the person.

UVA!?!?

Sorry ...

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2007, 05:38:21 PM »
I've been telling you guys he's a feminine hygiene product for a while.  He's just as bad as Blue.

And there will always be a special ring in Spaulding hell for those who feel the need to defend those accused of racism in the way MPark just did.  If you get uncomfortable when racism is pointed out and you turn on the accuser and not the origiantor of the racist comment, there is something fundamentally wrong with you.  I suspect that the racist will reform his/her ways before you do.  If you can't see it in those two posts quoted here or in the rest of his work, you never will.

« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2007, 05:39:11 PM »

FFS

UVA!?!?

Sorry ...

was that a good reaction or a bad one?  ???

Garry Shandling

• How's My Hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2007, 05:39:36 PM »
For someone with the ambition he has, I'm surprised he doesn't think some of the sh*t he's written here won't come back to haunt him.

I would have no problem if it did, either.