Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any thoughts on UCLA?  (Read 3250 times)

michelle d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Any thoughts on UCLA?
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2007, 12:11:34 PM »
What's your minor?
GPA weighting makes sense in theory...if we all went to the same school and took the same classes, but then we
wouldn't need an LSAT. (Thats completeley objective and has nothing to do with me or my interests.)
I forgot to say that I dont think I can afford D.C. (I can barely aford the Ave, which is sad).
Logicalness is for the LSAT and gambling, pretty useless elsewhere.   ;)
My PS was about jumping over garbage cans.

Italian language & lit.  Ironically enough I pulled mediocre 3.3s and 3.4s in the first couple years of language classes then when I filtered into the 400 lit series with the grad students (they were kind enough to give us slightly shorter essays than the grads) I did pretty well.

I can't really afford DC, either, but figure living frugally it's not very different than Seattle.  (And if I'm graduating with that much debt what's another couple thousand?)  And a fair bit of the cost difference would be offset by not having a car, as well.  (I don't have one now but would go nuts in a small college town without one.)  Small towns make me a little stircrazy, as well; there's a reason I'm not at UC Davis.

...And *over* garbage cans or *in* garbage cans?  Important distinction.
U of Chicago 2010.

randymarsh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mmmm. Breakfast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2007, 03:32:18 PM »
What's your minor?
GPA weighting makes sense in theory...if we all went to the same school and took the same classes, but then we
wouldn't need an LSAT. (Thats completeley objective and has nothing to do with me or my interests.)
I forgot to say that I dont think I can afford D.C. (I can barely aford the Ave, which is sad).

Italian language & lit.  Ironically enough I pulled mediocre 3.3s and 3.4s in the first couple years of language classes then when I filtered into the 400 lit series with the grad students (they were kind enough to give us slightly shorter essays than the grads) I did pretty well.

I can't really afford DC, either, but figure living frugally it's not very different than Seattle.  (And if I'm graduating with that much debt what's another couple thousand?)  And a fair bit of the cost difference would be offset by not having a car, as well.  (I don't have one now but would go nuts in a small college town without one.)  Small towns make me a little stircrazy, as well; there's a reason I'm not at UC Davis.

Pre-law people (including myself) use this line of reasoning so often, its becoming a sort of collective mantra. Hooray for sliding down the slippery slope!

The idea is OVER garbage cans, but I guess it depends on how well one jumps.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2007, 03:51:39 PM »
What's your minor?

Pre-law people (including myself) use this line of reasoning so often, its becoming a sort of collective mantra. Hooray for sliding down the slippery slope!

It reminds me of a message board from when I was planning my wedding.  One of the other brides' mantra was: "Better debt than regret."  it seems to apply here too.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

randymarsh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mmmm. Breakfast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2007, 03:56:09 PM »
What's your minor?

It reminds me of a message board from when I was planning my wedding.  One of the other brides' mantra was: "Better debt than regret."  it seems to apply here too.

It's this sorta rationale that comforts me.
It's the assumption that the former wont beget the latter that frightens me.

michelle d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2007, 05:30:02 PM »

That's probably the worst wedding advice I've ever heard.

In regards to law school, a cost difference of less than $10,000 isn't going to influence my decision, but I'd have to have a justifiable reason to go somewhere over somewhere else if the difference is much over $10K.  (And in my mind T14 v. something regional in the 30s is probably justifiable.)
U of Chicago 2010.

randymarsh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mmmm. Breakfast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2007, 05:51:09 PM »

That's probably the worst wedding advice I've ever heard.

In regards to law school, a cost difference of less than $10,000 isn't going to influence my decision, but I'd have to have a justifiable reason to go somewhere over somewhere else if the difference is much over $10K.  (And in my mind T14 v. something regional in the 30s is probably justifiable.)

All that matters! *ques Bon Jovi and rolls down windows*

bridget

• Sr. Citizen
  • crepes=delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2007, 10:45:50 PM »

ditto to that, only I had to go and do a major.  silly languages...

back to the point, any more info on UCLA?  I just got my acceptance there this week and keep finding out more and more things I like about it.  It might be good to hear more negatives though to get a better picture.
Teach For America*Chicago

michelle d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2007, 10:53:29 PM »

ditto to that, only I had to go and do a major.  silly languages...

back to the point, any more info on UCLA?  I just got my acceptance there this week and keep finding out more and more things I like about it.  It might be good to hear more negatives though to get a better picture.

Maybe I should've finished the major -- could've pulled my GPA up to a 3.7 :P

Still surprisingly little on UCLA.  I got my official packet, as well.  I see they have an ASW/"welcome" day on a Sunday which is ideal since I'm already taking (augh) 4 unpaid days off work for other visits, but it's so soon that airfare makes up for the not-missing-work savings.  oh well.  It would be way snazzy if I could get a student-led tour on a weekend, though.  I'm going to call tomorrow and see what they're willing to coordinate.

That said, even in-state tuition is $30,000 more than Vanderbilt would cost me, so the only thing UCLA has going for it is possibly better placement in CA (though I don't know if that really holds true for NoCA, which is definitely where I'd have to move the day after graduation.)
U of Chicago 2010.

spursfaninla

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2007, 11:05:11 AM »
After the 1st year, you get in state tuition, which is 24 grand.

UCLA has a good enough reputation that you could get some traction outside of Socal; but most people don't because the weather is great and you have everything you could want in socal: ski-slopes within driving distance, beaches, mexico and hawaii for quick flights, las vegas is a weekend trip...

LA is a top 3 city, culture and entertainment-wise.  Why do so many people want to live there? Why is the property so expensive? Because people want to be there.

Anyway, understood you can't stay because of the weather/pollution.  I think UCLA is "quasi-t14", in that it has national recognition, but is just outside of the t-14...

3.05, 173 (164)
in:USC($$) SW ($$$), Loyola ($)
out:columbia (didn't feel like doing so many dean certs...)
wait list:duke
who knows: ucla, chicago
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=spursfaninla