Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW vs. UT  (Read 2520 times)

dahorns

• View Profile
    • My Profile
Re: GW vs. UT
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 11:05:08 AM »
The Law School at Texas is just another building on the campus area.  It is on the edge of campus so while you will certainly see undergrads, you won't see that many (that is not that many for being on a campus with 35,000 of them) and the ones you do see will probably be engineers going to crown and anchor (a very cool bar) down the street.  As far as living options, Anywhere North of 35th St (about 8 blocks from the Law School) will provide some decent housing and place you far enough away from the high density areas for undergrads that it shouldn't be a problem. 

If you're ok with a slightly longer bus ride (approximately 20-35 minutes depending on time of day and if you take city bus or UT Shuttle) you can live in North West Austin.  The primary place for students is off of far west where the UT Shuttle stops.  The housing here is much cheaper than anywhere on Campus and generally much nicer.  I liked this area a lot because there are enough students in the general area so that you still feel apart of the university, but no so many that is becomes annoying.  This area is primarily nice but older homes with families.  Just as an example, rent on my 1350 SQ ft apartment (featured Conceirge Service, not all that useful, but cool nonetheless) was about 1400 a month (3 roomates). Getting a place anywhere near that size on or near campus would have been impossible until recently.  There has been a building boom in Austin the last couple of years and several Luxury condos/apartments have been created with several more under construction. 

As far as other living options, the other places connected to the UT shuttle system seem like they would be far too studenty for your liking.  Living in South Austin isn't a bad option, but the ride/drive to school will be significantly  longer than in north austin.  You'd have to take the city buses which do not come around as frequently as the UT Shuttles.  They are free to students though. Only thing I would recommend is staying away from places East of I-35.  This is generally seen as the bad part of austin.  Crime in this area is higher than in the rest of the city.  That being said, nowhere in Austin is really that bad.  People coming from most larger cities probably wouldn't consider most of east austin any trouble at all.  Hope this helps.

UncleLSAT

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2007, 05:45:45 PM »
Thanks. I'll scope out these areas when I visit, probably in April/May, maybe even March.
"Method actors give you a photograph. Real actors give you an oil painting." --Charles Laughton

In: BU, GWU, Emory, UTEX
Deferred: Boalt, UPenn, Northwestern
Out: UChicago, Yale, GULC

166/3.83

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2007, 05:48:20 PM »
Now I think this is a hard one. Right now there isn't any scholarship $ pulling me in any direction. I'm open to moving someplace new, and so's the grrlfren. Both have temperate climates, both have about equally good reputations. Both are in interesting locations, but interesting for different reasons. Both are big. I haven't visited either yet and I know that will be completely essential.

Does anyone have any inside knowledge that it would be good for a New England boy to know regarding the proper weighing of these choices?

there's your answer
go to GW and give me your spot at ut

k thx
hth

nowitzski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2007, 06:01:09 PM »
I think this thread has some good points for sure, UT's prestige is generally higher outside the DC area in my opinion, but I'll leave it to others to debate.  I can give you my thoughts after visiting each last spring.

UT: Bad building.  Dark, outdated.  Few windows.  Located in poor part of campus. 
GDub: cramped building, nicer and newer, located very close to the mall.  Good stuff, but kind of compact. 

MySuitIsNOTBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2007, 07:33:45 PM »
I haven't been to UT, but I thought the GW building itself was very nice on the inside and set up to be real social and such .... BUT, on the outside it really just had the look of most the other pretty ugly/outdated DC buildings.

Also, I don't really buy the whole prestige argument about UT over GW.  Maybe outside the legal community that's true, but who cares?  As far as landing jobs, GW grads place just as well in the top 250 firms as UT grads.  On top of that, after looking at Martindale & NALP, GW is somewhat-close to the T14's in its ability to place grads all over the country.  If you have absolutely no idea where you want to practice, then don't pick one over the other because of prestige.

Even still, I really think UT is the better choice.  Much cheaper and imo better QOL ...

UncleLSAT

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2007, 03:52:47 PM »

there's your answer

k thx
hth

Done. You owe me.
"Method actors give you a photograph. Real actors give you an oil painting." --Charles Laughton

166/3.83

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2007, 03:58:34 PM »

there's your answer

k thx
hth

Done. You owe me.

sweeeet!
the check's in the mail.
 ;D

UncleLSAT

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2007, 03:59:48 PM »
The quality of life thing is huge for me. I love DC but no one seems to have anything but praise for Austin.

I also think that in another life I was a Texan. Mainers and Texans must share some genes. Plenty of trailers in both states. Nascar's big in both.

What's the going rate for a nice 2 bedroom in the downtown area, close to UT? I'm paying $1250 in Boston, and not downtown.

Does anybody know the UT law library? Nice place to study? Or do most people study at home?

Is the law student social scene cool? I like pickup b-ball. Are there weekend b-ball games? I got game, mad ups.

166/3.83

GW2L

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2007, 09:15:29 PM »
heya uncle if you have any questions regarding GW let me know - i'd be happy to answer them...

nyugrad06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2007, 09:18:36 PM »
hey GW2L,

what are most students doing their 1L summer?  Do many(any?) get jobs with firms or anything?