Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waitlisted @ Maryland  (Read 14656 times)

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
Re: Waitlisted @ Maryland
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2007, 10:34:16 PM »
no there is a priority waitlist.  100% sure about this.
Princeton Law 2010

B212bb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2007, 10:35:46 PM »
LOL, well if you're in their highest box and waitlisted and in-state and I'm only waitlisted...You're gonna take my spot ;)

Have you looked at the class statistic chart on the website? Wide, wide range of GPA/LSAT accepted at Maryland... I'm in their highest boxes but still waitlisted... in-state tuition would be nice

Has anyone officially gotten a letter that says "Priority Wait List" or something to that effect??...maybe I'm being optimistic but I really think it's one big waitlist 
[/quote]

megs2828

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2007, 10:38:41 PM »
I'm clearly new with this quote thing b/c I somehow quoted my own response

An In-State tuition option would be nice...

I sent in deposits to GW & American but I'm holding out for Penn. I really would consider MD over GW and American though..not the other ones I'm waitlisted at though..what an annoying process

megs2828

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2007, 10:42:05 PM »
Don't mean to push the issue but why did my letter say the wait-list is not ranked?

no there is a priority waitlist.  100% sure about this.

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2007, 10:48:29 PM »
its not....within your tier of waitlists.

also, and i can honestly say this is not based on my self interested desire to get off the waitlist, i recommend you go to GWU over UMD.

Employment rate for GWU is 93.4% at graduation and  98.3% at 9 months with median income of $125,000.

MD is 80.7% at graduation and 98.3% at 9 months with a median income of $70,000.

Huge diff.  Even at full price id take GWU over MD.

Princeton Law 2010

megs2828

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2007, 11:08:42 PM »
I'm kind of bitter about Maryland anyway...I don't know how I'm waitlisted at the University of Pennsylvania and at the University of Maryland...that just doesn't add up to me

And finding out that I'm not even on the priority waitlist makes me even more unhappy with them!! haha... you can have my spot

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2007, 11:12:44 PM »
its prob yield protection.

If you have very high numbers for a school, they think that they are a safety school for you and wl you to bump up their yield %.

Id stay on if you have ties to the area ei kids, husband, job lined up.  Otherwise, i think its crazy not to go to GWU or any of your wl'ed schools over md as well (maybe not UNC).
Princeton Law 2010

gershonw

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2007, 10:15:10 PM »
can you be sure all the wl'ed - accepted people were on the priority one?  I saw how some were, but not all detailed which list they were on.  Also, are you going off of last year's cycle info at all?  That might give you a larger population.  And thanks for the concern, but i made sure, via delivery confirmation, that it got to the office.

good point!

it seems according to LSN that people last year who got in off the waitlist after may 1st(and thus were probably on the regular waitlist) seem to have been accepted at random points...with NO correlation to when they APPLIED (and thus probably not to when they put in their forms to stay on the waitlist..as ppl probly do this pretty much immediately)
e being pulled off in the order that they received their forms..or it worked differently last year.

i guess either MD is not being fully honest about people not being puled off the waitlist in the order they were put on it...OR the waitlist worked differently last year.

either way..there is no direct evidence from THIS year to indicate they are lying.

there are a lot of people on LSN from last year who list as waitlist from last year and only a couple that say WL accepted or Waitlist rejected..so its hard to tell.

gershonw

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »
spoke to md admissions today by phone (more anonymous that way)

they told me two interesting things

1.  the waitlist statistics vary widely from year to year so last years' statistics arn't a good predictor of this years' (i dont know how much i believe this statement..but enough so i wont try to get last years stats though some kind of state freedom of info act)

2. as of when i called...they are sortng through seat deopist to find out how many seats they have open...they wont be taking anybody off the waitlist for a while

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2007, 05:02:24 PM »
I bet that due to the jump in rankings, they will have more matriculate = less off the waitlist.  Not looking good.

Freedom if information act to obtain waitlist info??  Thats a first haha.
Princeton Law 2010