Law School Discussion

Waitlisted @ Maryland

Booyakasha2

• Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
Re: Waitlisted @ Maryland
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2007, 07:29:47 PM »
Looks like the waitlist is moving...at least for those on the priority waitlist.

Post if youve been called off the regular waitlist.

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2007, 10:38:27 AM »
Yep, the priority list is moving, the dean is basically calling people on the priority to see who is willing to commit right now, I think she wants to know by wednesday. she is very very nice by the way :)

Maybe they will start calling off the regular waitlist as soon as this week or next week.

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2007, 02:23:45 PM »
Yep, the priority list is moving, the dean is basically calling people on the priority to see who is willing to commit right now, I think she wants to know by wednesday. she is very very nice by the way :)

Maybe they will start calling off the regular waitlist as soon as this week or next week.

Thanks for the info.  By when are you being asked to place your deposit?

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 07:54:10 AM »
Well, I kind of didn't get to the point of talking about when to send in a deposit because I am pretty much decided on another school. The dean told me she would call me yesterday to know if there was any scholarship $$$, but she didn't sound like the money was out of the question if you are concerned with that. However, since she hasn't called back, I am guessing she moved on to some more promising applicants. :)

I think she wanted the deposit sent in a relatively short time frame,(maybe a week or so) and a sort of verbal agreement that you would send in your deposit over the phone. She said that the money was less of a concern than "rounding out the class," so she is definitely looking for people who want to go. Maybe for people who haven't heard, sending Maryland a quick email of continued interest would really help.

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 09:13:53 AM »
Well, I kind of didn't get to the point of talking about when to send in a deposit because I am pretty much decided on another school. The dean told me she would call me yesterday to know if there was any scholarship $$$, but she didn't sound like the money was out of the question if you are concerned with that. However, since she hasn't called back, I am guessing she moved on to some more promising applicants. :)

I think she wanted the deposit sent in a relatively short time frame,(maybe a week or so) and a sort of verbal agreement that you would send in your deposit over the phone. She said that the money was less of a concern than "rounding out the class," so she is definitely looking for people who want to go. Maybe for people who haven't heard, sending Maryland a quick email of continued interest would really help.

Wow, this is great info.  Thanks a lot!

Daibutsu

• At peace with nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2007, 04:34:27 PM »
It turns out I was wrong about whether or not to send a LOCI.  I called the admissions office and spoke to a very helpful woman who said that applicants who take the time to send in a letter of continued interest are far more likely to get off the wait list.  Needless to say, I sent one in the very next day.

I'm on the regular wait list.  Maryland is my first choice, so Iíd be absolutely thrilled if I got a call.  Iíll definitely post if that happens.

Daibutsu

• At peace with nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2007, 04:42:06 PM »
superrob-rp7:

I just tried the status checker for the first time a few days ago.  It said "decision made."  I sure hope that doesn't mean they've made a decision about the wait list, because I haven't received a phone call so I bet that would mean I'm out.  My guess is it refers to the decision to waitlist my application.

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2007, 08:08:14 PM »
superrob-rp7:

I just tried the status checker for the first time a few days ago.  It said "decision made."  I sure hope that doesn't mean they've made a decision about the wait list, because I haven't received a phone call so I bet that would mean I'm out.  My guess is it refers to the decision to waitlist my application.

You guessed right - relax! 

I got all excited back in March when, about three weeks after receiving my waitlist decision and two weeks after sending in my LOCI, my status-checker changed from "in review" to "decision made."  I thought at the time, wow, how effective was that LOCI!  I wonder how the status-checker reacts after an ultimate decision is made to accept or reject.  I am guessing it will stay at "decision made."   

Re: Waitlisted @ Maryland- whatr my chances?
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2007, 07:15:40 AM »
K, so Im a student at the University of Maryland, College Park. I love Maryland, I bleed the black and gold. Maryland is my first choice by far, but I was put on the regular WL (I heard from them in December or January). I sent a LOCI. My LSAT is 160 and GPA is 3.436. I am white but my dad is a Soviet refugee and I speak 3 different languages-which i guess makes me diverse, unless thats not the "diversity" that UMD seeks to celebrate and augment. What do y'all think are my chances of getting in?

You could always request to be considered for part time to be sure you get in. A lot of the part-time students are younger and end up switching to the day program after their first year.

Daibutsu

• At peace with nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2007, 08:44:19 PM »
I asked my boss to write a letter of recommendation to help get me off the waitlist and he agreed.  Hereís hoping it will work.