Law School Discussion

Waitlisted @ Maryland

Booyakasha2

• Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
Waitlisted @ Maryland
« on: February 07, 2007, 09:04:28 PM »
Anyone have any insight (from admission staff/officer/dean/etc) about what to expect from this WL this yr?  Is a WL at MD basically a reject?  Should I even make plans around potentially being accepted?

Re: Waitlisted @ Maryland
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 07:21:36 AM »
A girl in my studygroup was waitlisted last year and got in. She sent an email stating her continued interest. If Maryland is your first choice, you should also tell them.

Daibutsu

• At peace with nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 09:35:14 PM »
I too was waitlisted at Maryland.  Actually, I was very surprised because the wait list letter was the first I had heard from the school.  Anyway, I called the office and the person I spoke with said that they pull people from the wait list according to when the applicant applied.  From what this person told me, there is no further evaluation of the file.

But then I saw a person on this forum who said that he/she received notice of being on a "preferred wait list,"  whatever that means.

Maryland would be my first choice if I got in, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 07:40:30 PM »
I too was waitlisted at Maryland.  Actually, I was very surprised because the wait list letter was the first I had heard from the school.  Anyway, I called the office and the person I spoke with said that they pull people from the wait list according to when the applicant applied.  From what this person told me, there is no further evaluation of the file.

But then I saw a person on this forum who said that he/she received notice of being on a "preferred wait list,"  whatever that means.

Maryland would be my first choice if I got in, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Daibutsu,

I received the letter yesterday.

So according to your conversation, the part in the letter that says: "...our admissions process operates on a rolling basis, therefore your application will not be ranked" essentially means that apps actually WILL be ranked, i.e., according to when the app was submitted?

Also, did you get the impression that sending something extra would make a difference? Additional LORs, etc.?

Thanks for any additional info.

Daibutsu

• At peace with nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 11:28:21 AM »
That's a good point about the discrepancy between "not being ranked" and "pulling from the wait list according to when applicants apply."

I guess that means that it's anybody's guess as to how Maryland’s wait list works.  Oy veh! 

As for sending in extra stuff, all I can tell you is I didn't and won't do that.  I think it's gratuitous.  Contrary to what some people, or perhaps most people, on this forum tend to argue, I look at a wait list as a conditional acceptance, not a conditional rejection. 

After all, if they want to reject an applicant, that’s what they’ll do.  A wait list is the committee’s way of saying, “if a spot becomes available, you’re in.”  They don’t need to be sold and resold on the merits of your application.  Just send in the form, if Maryland’s where you want to go, and wait for the call/letter of acceptance.

A friend of mine made a really good point about Maryland’s wait list compared to say, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc – Maryland’s wait list is likely to move a lot, as Maryland is not the first choice of a lot of applicants.  So, many of the people who were accepted or waitlisted will end up attending another school.

Hope this is helpful.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 02:19:01 PM »
Daibutsu,

Thanks for the info., and good luck with the rest of your apps!

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 08:13:24 AM »
Question for those waitlisted at Maryland:

I received a waitlist letter dated Feb 8 (I'm in the "normal" category, not the "preferred").  I returned the Waitlist Response Form, accompanied by a Letter of Continued Interst, to Mayland by snail mail on Feb 19.  I had an additional LOR forwarded to Maryland around the same time.  Until around the end of Feb, my status checker said "In review."  Today, I noticed that it has changed to "Decision made." (not sure when the change occured.)

Does this mean that an "accept" or "reject" decision was made, so soon after the waitlist decision (the letter said they will review the waitlist from May)?  Or can this mean that a "decision" to "waitlist" was made, and that they were simply slow in updating the status checker?

I guess calling the school is the answer, but I wanted to see if any of you can provide some insight.

Thoughts appreciated... 

Nelly

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 01:25:09 PM »
Question for those waitlisted at Maryland:

I received a waitlist letter dated Feb 8 (I'm in the "normal" category, not the "preferred").  I returned the Waitlist Response Form, accompanied by a Letter of Continued Interst, to Mayland by snail mail on Feb 19.  I had an additional LOR forwarded to Maryland around the same time.  Until around the end of Feb, my status checker said "In review."  Today, I noticed that it has changed to "Decision made." (not sure when the change occured.)

Does this mean that an "accept" or "reject" decision was made, so soon after the waitlist decision (the letter said they will review the waitlist from May)?  Or can this mean that a "decision" to "waitlist" was made, and that they were simply slow in updating the status checker?

I guess calling the school is the answer, but I wanted to see if any of you can provide some insight.

Thoughts appreciated... 

Hm...this may explain why I am getting an error message when I try to log-in.  They must have updated the system.  My guess would be the 'decision' is the waitlist...

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 10:49:56 PM »
The status tracker thing on MD's website never worked right for me last year, so be careful putting too much stock in it! 

I was a WL last year, and sent a letter of continuing interest indicating it was my first choice and got pulled off the waitlist like 2 weeks later.

Good luck guys!

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 10:42:11 PM »
I got waitlisted at Maryland  today.  Three waitlists and two deferrals.  This is getting old.