Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: gotten into great schools....but still disappointed. any thoughts?  (Read 26006 times)

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
Re: gotten into great schools....but still disappointed. any thoughts?
« Reply #350 on: February 12, 2007, 02:51:38 PM »
It would have been better had any of what she said was right (except for the Harvard prestige whoring, which I fully admit to).

Which part do you disagree with?

I never derided anyone for the schools they were considering/attending.  I have no idea where that came from.  Also never said or implied I was deserving or entitled in any way to anything.  I certainly made my jealousy well known of other people's success, but that's just my honesty, not my entitlement. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 12, 2007, 02:56:48 PM »
It would have been better had any of what she said was right (except for the Harvard prestige whoring, which I fully admit to).

I never derided anyone for the schools they were considering/attending.  I have no idea where that came from.  Also never said or implied I was deserving or entitled in any way to anything.  I certainly made my jealousy well known of other people's success, but that's just my honesty, not my entitlement. 

FWIW, even though you and I disagree on a lot of things and you're often elitist in a way that burns me up, I haven't really gotten this "sense of entitlement" thing from you either.  Your frankness, for instance, regarding your practice average and your surprise at the 175 seems to reveal at least a modicum of humility.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 12, 2007, 03:02:07 PM »

I believe demingh was referring to your attitude, and not saying you ever explicitly derided someone for school choices. I'm too lazy to dig up examples, but judging by other people's opinions of you, I'm pretty confident that demingh and I aren't alone in these beliefs.

Most of the people I've riled up are flames who love to get riled up anyway.  Demingh, clearly, is not a flame, and she and I never crossed paths all that much (to the best of my knowledge), which is why I was surprised by her vitriol.  It seems as if the majority of people are equally confused (and the people who are cheering about her post just love a good jeering, regardless of its merits and regardless of who it's aimed at). 
Yale.Law.School.2010

nowitzski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 12, 2007, 06:54:55 PM »
<----------Admitted to NYU and Michigan.

<----------Not going to NYU.

/just sayin'.

For the benefit of this discussion may I ask why?

Because it seems like a better fit for my personality.  Besides, all the cool kids are goin' there ;).

But seriously, what you really want to know (it seems) is why am I not BOTHERED by going to Michigan over NYU.  Mainly I don't percieve the vast differences in prestige you're claiming.  If we can use SCOTUS clerkships as one example, flawed though it may be, NYU and Michigan place roughly the same.  The pure prestige rankings halfie (at least I think it was halfie) posted earlier in this very thread ranked NYU . . . what?  One place higher?  Big whoop.  I mean, the biggest difference between NYU and Michigan seems to come from everyone's favorite rankings whipping boy: US NEWS.  And speaking of prestige -at OCIs, the only V10 firms I can think of off the top of my head who DON'T interview at Michigan are Cleary and Wachtell . . . yes, mighty Cravath (with whom you seem obsessed, though lord only knows why, since all of their associates seem to hate the place) slogs out to Ann Arbor every year to interview Michigan students.  Surely they aren't wasting their time when they can (and do) just take a car 30 blocks for NYU?   

I can second as another person who turned down NYU for UM.  My decision was based primarily on the strength of the university as a whole, specifically the top 3 polysci PHD program.  NYU Law is an excellent school for certain career choices, but I felt (and still feel) that UM as a whole is a much stronger university with better alumni and excellent cross-discipline potential (JD/MA, JD/PHD).  I should also add that geography (midwest) was a strong consideration. 

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 12, 2007, 08:07:12 PM »
...(and the people who are cheering about her post just love a good jeering, regardless of its merits and regardless of who it's aimed at). 

hey, who doesn't!  meritless jeering, if artfully accomplished, is quite entertaining. :D
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 12, 2007, 08:17:28 PM »
...(and the people who are cheering about her post just love a good jeering, regardless of its merits and regardless of who it's aimed at). 

hey, who doesn't!  meritless jeering, if artfully accomplished, is quite entertaining. :D

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO O!!!
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 12, 2007, 08:18:44 PM »

come now, you of all people revel in a good jeering

JD

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 12, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »

No I don't!  You suck!  BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 12, 2007, 08:27:08 PM »

No I don't!  You suck!  BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

your princess bride tactics will avail you not  :D

JD

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 12, 2007, 08:29:06 PM »
My name... is Indigo Montoya... You killed my father... Prepare to die..

*stumbles*