Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: gotten into great schools....but still disappointed. any thoughts?  (Read 26128 times)

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
Re: gotten into great schools....but still disappointed. any thoughts?
« Reply #170 on: February 10, 2007, 07:16:10 PM »

Okay, to be fair, I think that while both are prestige whores, Cityslicker is a prestige whore of a much less offensive character that steve.jd. Cityslicker admits to it, and he's generally good-humored, respectful, and not terribly self-aggrandizing.

I wholly agree, thank you for the fair characterization.  It's all I asked for.
Yale.Law.School.2010

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 10, 2007, 07:21:46 PM »

2.  My old sig was "3.95/173, Engineering" - wow what a braggart I am.  Basically in your view anyone who links to LSN and happens to have high numbers is bragging.

See also, "Are you KIDDING me?"

[/quote]

To be fair, I think his "Are you KIDDING me?" comment was more directed at his own surprise, and wasn't meant to be whorish in any way.  Most, if not all, people would be surprised to get into any top school.  I can think of few people who have no exhibited at least some amount of surprise at their own success.
Yale.Law.School.2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 10, 2007, 07:22:39 PM »
1.  I dont spend that much time on this board - I don't know about any "sig" arguments

You don't??

2.  My old sig was "3.95/173, Engineering" - wow what a braggart I am.  Basically in your view anyone who links to LSN and happens to have high numbers is bragging.

See also, "Are you KIDDING me?"

3.  There is loads of evidence anecdotal and otherwise that NYU places better than Mich.  Just take a look at their OCI date vs. Mich, take a look at their clerkship placement, take a look at how deep into their class these firms go, etc

Do you even remember the context of this argument?  Your job is to demonstrate that, on average, you will be "much" better off if you attend NYU instead of UM, and that this has to be done in real terms without regard for prestige (i.e., how likely are you to get job X from each school, and if you only get job Y from UM, how will this actually affect your future without considering prestige?).

5.  "That makes me smarter than at least one HLS student" - I think you should get over yourself; who is the braggart now?

With all due respect, I hardly think that claiming to be smarter than you constitutes bragging.
[/size][/b]

I LOL'd.

Garry Shandling

• Sr. Citizen
  • How's My Hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 10, 2007, 07:27:30 PM »

thank god that steve j.d. is f-in' ugly

i'll pull more tail droppin' my food stamps than he will spendin' his benjamins

credited

i'd be obsessed w/ making "millions" at "hedge fund" too
I hope steve.jd and CS4L hang out at Harvard.  The combined gravitic pull of their prestige-egos will put (everyone) into orbit.  After a short time, they will all collapse upon each other creating the first man made black hole...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 10, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »

thank god that steve j.d. is f-in' ugly

i'll pull more tail droppin' my food stamps than he will spendin' his benjamins

Benjamins? I doubt it. As soon as he gets out of school, steve.jd is going to run headfirst into the realization that his fabulous alma mater can't compensate for his putrid personality. He's got leadership potential roughly equivalent to a toilet brush. Perpetual associate in the making!

Garry Shandling

• Sr. Citizen
  • How's My Hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2007, 07:29:17 PM »
Interesting. Those who know me on this board can assure you I have been holding back my opinion for months now, and I think I've done a pretty decent job of doing so. But hey, since you asked - 

Slicka - you're an insufferable a$$hole. Of course, this comes as no new news to you, but I see you've grown accustomed to this personality and are unlikely to break out of that shell.

Given all the opportunities and accomplishments of your life, you have an astoundingly short and narrow world-view. While steve's utter ridiculousness can be passed off as the unfortunate side-effect of a silver spoon up his a$$, I struggle to understand how you could be so simple-minded. In this, I find greater disgust.

Your opinions and contributions to this board can be summed up easily.

1. I am utterly and solely deserving of all that comes my way. 
2. Therefore my prestige-whoreness is justified.
3. HLS being the ultimate in prestige. Oh my, must it terribly sad to be the rest of you, but don't worry I will attack your pitiful choices nonetheless. 

In fact, if you want to use that summary instead of the pointless drivel you typically post, I'm perfectly fine relinquishing the rights to it.

I wish Mike245 could sit you down and teach you a lesson in humility and gratitude, but Mike has done enough good in this world that I wouldn't punish him like that.

So, now that I have given you my blessing of a happy and full life at Harvard, can you please do me the favor of withdrawing from Columbia? Although I know the chances are slim to none that you would lower yourself to the TTT of CLS, I do live in a mildly constant fear that I would have to deal with you on a daily basis.

Wow, and so close to Valentines Day too.
I hope steve.jd and CS4L hang out at Harvard.  The combined gravitic pull of their prestige-egos will put (everyone) into orbit.  After a short time, they will all collapse upon each other creating the first man made black hole...

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 10, 2007, 07:31:48 PM »

Aww Demingh, do I really deserve such a backhanded wish for happiness?

Absolutely. My gift, from me to you.

And just for some closure, why do I deserve it?

Interesting. Those who know me on this board can assure you I have been holding back my opinion for months now, and I think I've done a pretty decent job of doing so. But hey, since you asked - 

Slicka - you're an insufferable a$$hole. Of course, this comes as no new news to you, but I see you've grown accustomed to this personality and are unlikely to break out of that shell.

Given all the opportunities and accomplishments of your life, you have an astoundingly short and narrow world-view. While steve's utter ridiculousness can be passed off as the unfortunate side-effect of a silver spoon up his a$$, I struggle to understand how you could be so simple-minded. In this, I find greater disgust.

3. HLS being the ultimate in prestige. Oh my, must it terribly sad to be the rest of you, but don't worry I will attack your pitiful choices nonetheless. 

In fact, if you want to use that summary instead of the pointless drivel you typically post, I'm perfectly fine relinquishing the rights to it.

I wish Mike245 could sit you down and teach you a lesson in humility and gratitude, but Mike has done enough good in this world that I wouldn't punish him like that.

So, now that I have given you my blessing of a happy and full life at Harvard, can you please do me the favor of withdrawing from Columbia? Although I know the chances are slim to none that you would lower yourself to the TTT of CLS, I do live in a mildly constant fear that I would have to deal with you on a daily basis.

Proof?  I've never attempted to hide my prestige whoring, but I have never derided anyone for the choices they're making.  I also never implied or said in any way that CLS was a TTT (My opinion couldn't be further from that).  I'm curious as to how you've developed such an extreme hatred of me. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 10, 2007, 07:32:25 PM »

Aww Demingh, do I really deserve such a backhanded wish for happiness?

Absolutely. My gift, from me to you.

And just for some closure, why do I deserve it?

Wow. I stand in awe of your grandeur. Bravo! Bravisimo!

Mr. Kurtz

« Reply #178 on: February 10, 2007, 07:39:49 PM »
oh shut up, red.

wow you're mean.

maybe i misinterpreted your comment.  :-\

Never apologize to her, or even look like you're doing so.  She'll take it as a sign of weakness and an opportunity to rip out your jugular.  Then she'll dance on your corpse.

ivy07

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 10, 2007, 07:52:24 PM »
I motherfing love how this thread has turned out. Brilliant. FLAMEWARS bitcchez