Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: gotten into great schools....but still disappointed. any thoughts?  (Read 26178 times)

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
Re: gotten into great schools....but still disappointed. any thoughts?
« Reply #140 on: February 10, 2007, 06:20:58 PM »
1.  Why am I "uneducated?"
2.  I've never bragged about anything on this board EVER - find a quote that says otherwise.

1.  Because you've never been educated, obviously.  Why is that the case?  I don't know, you probably majored in government or something, and almost certainly you don't read-- these things don't help.
2.  Your sig, which has evidently been changed recently.

1. Engineering if you recall - you no doubt put my education to shame.
2. My sig says nothing but my school and grad year - is that bragging now?
   What if it said Cooley '09 is that bragging?

No one can define "substantially higher" its subjective, and yet most people subjectively decide that NYU > Mich since cross-admits overwhelmingly choose N.

This may be the most retarded thing you've written yet.  Seriously, how does someone pull of HLS numbers while being-- literally-- a retard?

Clearly, how the vast majority of rational people think is irrelevant.  If I'm a retard what does that make you?

I meant the old sig, and the fact that you left it up all this time.  The current sig, if it is bragging (recall the Adehmar/Annabel sig argument), is clearly less so.  And I didn't remember that it was engineering, though perhaps I should have.

That makes me smarter than at least one HLS student.  Your argument is that the life-outlook for a NYU student is substantially better than that of a Michigan student, and then at the same time protest that you can't be asked to define what this means, but assert that it must be true because cross-admits tend to choose NYU over UM (ignoring possibilities such as: those people who applied to both schools would prefer to spend 3 years in NYC rather than Ann Arbor, or that they may wrongly believe that NYU places better than UM, or that even if they are correct and making the correct choice, the difference may in fact be marginal and not huge, as you have constantly claimed, or that they may prestige whores for whom it is terribly important to work at a V10 rather than V25 for no other reason than that it is a V10), while assuming that people make rational decisions and specifically that they are making a rational decision about this despite the fact that evidence tends to show that people do not make rational/informed decisions (you assume in part, I assume, that these people are more likely to be correctly informed and make rational decisions because they have high index scores).

1.  I dont spend that much time on this board - I don't know about any "sig" arguments
2.  My old sig was "3.95/173, Engineering" - wow what a braggart I am.  Basically in your view anyone who links to LSN and happens to have high numbers is bragging.
3.  There is loads of evidence anecdotal and otherwise that NYU places better than Mich.  Just take a look at their OCI date vs. Mich, take a look at their clerkship placement, take a look at how deep into their class these firms go, etc
4.  Looking at cross-admits is just one way of figuring what people think of the difference in these schools - believe it or not what people think does matter in the real world.  It's not the best way but its not completely worthless either.  Sure there is some self-selection of people wanting to be in NYC over Ann Arbor, but you're crazy if you think that preference describes the entire gap.  I bet people prefer NYC to New Haven as well - guess what?  They get over it.
5.  "That makes me smarter than at least one HLS student" - I think you should get over yourself; who is the braggart now?

I never suggested that it wasn't a sliding scale.

Let me guess, you can only comprehend Justice Thomas's jurisprudence

Wow, I don't even know who you are but you are easily one of the most bitter self-righteous assholes I've ever talked to.

If you don't like my advice or my views fine (although I notice neither you nor anyone else has asserted that Mich beats NYU in any major category), but I won't temper what I feel is the truth to make you feel better about yourself.  Wanna choose Michigan over N?  Fine, thats your perogative, but there are some people who want to see the situation from more than just your "your school doesn't matter all the T14 are the same" point of view.

Yes, you do know who I am.

Of course you believe it to be true.  You just don't know what you believe to be true, because you are unable to define it, but you do assert that it rests at least in part on an untenable premise.

Why are you so unwilling to admit that you're a prestige whore?  Like I said, your assertions may be true from the point of view of a prestige whore.

Never once did I assert that all the t14 are the same.  That would be stupid, and you seem to have a monopoly on stupidity here.  You can't do context, you can't do nuance... oh God, did you vote for George Bush? 

I don't even know how to respond to this...must be a side-effect of my crappy education :(

Side-effect of your thinking process/abilities.  Which is a consequence of a lack of an education which teaches/forces one to think.
HLS '09

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 10, 2007, 06:22:42 PM »
As usual, I agree with halfie (although - as usual - he's been a touch more, umm, colorful in expressing his view than I probably would have been. :D

Steve, I would pay top dollar to be a fly on the wall at your job this summer, when you *finally*maybe* realize that you're really young and really inexperienced.   

I don't understand what being young and inexperienced has to do with this argument whatsoever.

Furthermore, Halfie is just as young and in terms of work experience likely more inexperienced than I am, so I'm not sure what gives him the right to lecture me about it?
HLS '09

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2007, 06:24:43 PM »
As usual, I agree with halfie (although - as usual - he's been a touch more, umm, colorful in expressing his view than I probably would have been. :D

Steve, I would pay top dollar to be a fly on the wall at your job this summer, when you *finally*maybe* realize that you're really young and really inexperienced.   

I don't understand what being young and inexperienced has to do with this argument whatsoever.

Furthermore, Halfie is just as young and in terms of work experience likely more inexperienced than I am, so I'm not sure what gives him the right to lecture me about it?

Save this thread, reread it in 10, or 5, or even 2 years, and you'll see the correlation.  
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2007, 06:31:53 PM »

Save this thread, reread it in 10, or 5, or even 2 years, and you'll see the correlation. 

I don't mean to offend you but this response is a cop-out.  It's like making the argument "I'm right because you're wrong" or "I'm right because I'm big and you're little" or others akin to that.

The argument I think that you want to make and correct me if I'm wrong is that money, prestige, and high paying jobs (or prestigious) ones aren't everything.  Thats a reasonable argument and reasonable people can disagree.  For some people it is everything and those people would be better off at N.

HLS '09

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »
<----------Admitted to NYU and Michigan.

<----------Not going to NYU.

/just sayin'.

For the benefit of this discussion may I ask why?
HLS '09

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2007, 06:36:31 PM »

I don't mean to offend you but this response is a cop-out.  It's like making the argument "I'm right because you're wrong" or "I'm right because I'm big and you're little" or others akin to that.

The argument I think that you want to make and correct me if I'm wrong is that money, prestige, and high paying jobs (or prestigious) ones aren't everything.  Thats a reasonable argument and reasonable people can disagree.  For some people it is everything and those people would be better off at N.

No, my argument would be better characterized as, "Perhaps you're right, perhaps you're wrong - but either way, you're immature."

Garry Shandling

• Sr. Citizen
  • How's My Hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 10, 2007, 06:37:36 PM »
No, my argument would be better characterized as, "Perhaps you're right, perhaps you're wrong - but either way, you're immature."

Credited.

I would have added the word "an" before inmature and the word "brat" afterward, but what do I know.
I hope steve.jd and CS4L hang out at Harvard.  The combined gravitic pull of their prestige-egos will put (everyone) into orbit.  After a short time, they will all collapse upon each other creating the first man made black hole...

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2007, 06:41:00 PM »
From this thread, I have learned:

1. Every michigan graduate is destitute and lucky to afford the next hit of heroin.

2. Every NYU graduate is a millionaire hedge fund manager.

the more you know...

Truth is, I'd rather hang out with heroin addicts than hedge fund managers...and my life choices reflect this priority.  There you go!

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 10, 2007, 06:41:15 PM »

What did I say that made me "immature" - while Halfie was off on his character assination rant cursing and venting with no perceptible argument I made an actual argument.  Clearly, he is the mature one.

From this thread, I have learned:

1. Every michigan graduate is destitute and lucky to afford the next hit of heroin.

2. Every NYU graduate is a millionaire hedge fund manager.

the more you know...

I presume you gleamed these from Halfie since I said no such thing on either point.
HLS '09

JuanTwoThree

• Sr. Citizen
  • Arnold is numero uno
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 10, 2007, 06:41:23 PM »
Thoughts of an observer in this melee: "damn steve is making o&n look like a complete feminine hygiene product"