Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: gotten into great schools....but still disappointed. any thoughts?  (Read 26096 times)

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
Re: gotten into great schools....but still disappointed. any thoughts?
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2007, 08:13:49 PM »
its all going to be ok guys, because I got into NYU today!!!!!! See you all next year in Greenwich Village!

Soon you'll realize that NYU isnt much better than Michigan or Boalt and you'll end up going to Michigan anyway.

this is wrong

So you're saying that NYU is in a totally different league than Michigan? Please justify beyond USNews.

Yes - biglaw, clerkships, more famed profs, better speakers, i think they are more or less equal in academia.

It's the word "much" which is problematic.  Because the difference you're talking about... sorry, but it only works out like that from within the prestige-whore paradigm.

I didn't write the word "much" - the difference isnt't as small as you think

HLS '09

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2007, 08:15:44 PM »
nyu is 10x the school michigan is. michigan is nowhere near as good as it used to be. it is the epitome of TTT in decline

This is also wrong.

nyu is 10x the school michigan is. michigan is nowhere near as good as it used to be. it is the epitome of TTT in decline

Explain. Michigan still has top notch faculty and great placement.

absolutely....but it is not in the same league as NYU. On a more serious note, I started this thread as 1/2 flame, 1/2 serious bewilderment over my disappointment with what are pretty decent, but nonetheless (apparently) disheartening options

We're in the same boat I actually share your feelings but dare not voice them because I would get slaughtered.

Unfortunately I think the real prestige jump is to HYS. There seems no real difference between NYU and Michigan.

This is credited
HLS '09

Cantillon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2007, 08:50:30 PM »

Explain. Michigan still has top notch faculty and great placement.

absolutely....but it is not in the same league as NYU. On a more serious note, I started this thread as 1/2 flame, 1/2 serious bewilderment over my disappointment with what are pretty decent, but nonetheless (apparently) disheartening options

Even though you acknowledged that you're 1/2 flame, I would trade your Berkeley acceptance for my NYU one in a heartbeat.  I'm still waiting on Berkeley.  Damn, why does life have to work this way: giving people things they don't want.

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2007, 01:51:06 AM »
its all going to be ok guys, because I got into NYU today!!!!!! See you all next year in Greenwich Village!

Soon you'll realize that NYU isnt much better than Michigan or Boalt and you'll end up going to Michigan anyway.

this is wrong

So you're saying that NYU is in a totally different league than Michigan? Please justify beyond USNews.

Yes - biglaw, clerkships, more famed profs, better speakers, i think they are more or less equal in academia.

It's the word "much" which is problematic.  Because the difference you're talking about... sorry, but it only works out like that from within the prestige-whore paradigm.

I didn't write the word "much" - the difference isnt't as small as you think

It's in the text that you responded to (and without carving it out).

That is, from your posts, we can say that you have said:
1. NYU is much better than Michigan
2. NYU is in a totally different league than Michigan

I agree with 1 and 2 which say baically the same thing

Unless you want to modify your position, don't make a show of noting that you didn't write the word (you did of course use the word).

I know what the difference is, both in terms of placement and in terms of faculty.  Like I said, statements (1) and (2) are true only from within the prestige-whore paradigm.  If it makes a big difference to you if you're working at Cravath instead of White & Case instead of Cahill, then maybe NYU is dramatically more good.  The same thing works on the quality -- oh no, excuse me, you're concerned with the fame -- of the professors.

There actually is a big difference between working at Cravath and Cahill - whether or not you acknowledge it.

Also, the fame of the professors is important.  A recommendation from a well known professor carries a hell of a lot more weight with judges and employers than a rec from a great teacher who is completely unknown.
HLS '09

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2007, 08:30:08 AM »
There actually is a big difference between working at Cravath and Cahill - whether or not you acknowledge it.

If you're a prestige whore, of course there is.  If you're not -- remind me, exactly what is the effectual difference?

Of course there's a difference - at Cravath, you get to work with more of the prestigious tools who were at the top of their classes at Harvard.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2007, 10:33:39 AM »

If you're a prestige whore, of course there is.  If you're not -- remind me, exactly what is the effectual difference?

The difference is that after 3-4 years at Cravath you get to leave and make millions of dollars at a hedge fund or in the alternative stay at Cravath for 6 or 7 years then leave to become a partner at Cahill or some other "lesser" firm.  At Cahill you don't get to do that.
HLS '09

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2007, 01:09:23 PM »
Even though you acknowledged that you're 1/2 flame, I would trade your Berkeley acceptance for my NYU one in a heartbeat.  I'm still waiting on Berkeley.  Damn, why does life have to work this way: giving people things they don't want.

I suppose if people didn't apply for the things they didn't want, they might not get them.

So what you're saying, Steve, is that the difference between attending NYU and attending Michigan is making millions of dollars on the one hand and a miserable existence on the other?  Right.  I'm sure that's true.

It's hard to believe he turned down that unique bounty of opportunity at NYU, isn't it?
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2007, 01:39:30 PM »
FYI: there is a huge difference between famous professors and GOOD professors.  Screw famous, just teach me what I need to know! 

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2007, 02:39:56 PM »
So what you're saying, Steve, is that the difference between attending NYU and attending Michigan is making millions of dollars on the one hand and a miserable existence on the other?  Right.  I'm sure that's true.

Sigh... what to misconstrue what I said.

Life is about probabilities.  Your odds of going to "Cravath" to list one example are substantially higher from NYU than from Michigan.  Your odds of going from "Cravath" to a hedge fund where you could potentially make millions are higher than from "Cahill."  Therefore, your odds of going to said hedge fund from NYU are higher than from Michigan.

HTH. 

FYI: there is a huge difference between famous professors and GOOD professors.  Screw famous, just teach me what I need to know! 

This isn't really true; good professors are great - I think every professor I've had has been really good.  But its not as if they are teaching you how to draft a probate document or how to answer a motion.  Most of what they teach you isn't practical anyway, and to that end I'd rather have a guy (or girl) who can write me a kickass letter of rec to secure a much better clerkship.

Ideally, you want to have good + famous, but I think there is value in just being famous.
HLS '09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2007, 03:41:59 PM »
I hope steve.jd and CS4L hang out at Harvard.  The combined gravitic pull of their prestige-egos will put all of the 1Ls, as well as most of the 2 and 3Ls, and a handful of the faculty into orbit.  After a short time, they will all collapse upon each other creating the first man made black hole, ripping Cambridge into some space-time paradox before the black hole decays away to nothing...  Good bye.

TITCR.