Law School Discussion

gotten into great schools....but still disappointed. any thoughts?

TwinkyBean

• It's Yellow.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TwinkyBean
    • View Profile
Re: gotten into great schools....but still disappointed. any thoughts?
« Reply #370 on: June 25, 2007, 09:59:33 AM »
so far I have gotten into the following schools:

Michigan
Duke
Georgetown
Cornell
Berkeley

And I guess that is ok........but I still feel very down. I guess what I am having a hard time with is that even though I have gotten into good schools, I haven't gotten into any schools I would be *happy* attending, and the only schools that are in that category that I applied to are Penn, Chicago, NYU and Columbia, and I am wl at CLS, so little to no shot. When you are accustomed to a high level of success anything that is even slightly less than stellar feels like a massive disappointment. Its embarrassing to say, but I would really feel slightly ashamed to go to Duke or Mich........sigh, what is wrong with me?

yeah I don't know what is wrong with you, but something is wrong.
anyways, I *REALLY* want to go to duke, so if you're not gonna go, why don't you tell them that, ok?

Yeah, I agree.. Dont think i'd be bitching if I were you... :)

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 25, 2007, 11:04:59 AM »
we didn't really have to bring this thread back, did we?
You guys will see all sorts of annoying people over the next cycle, fyi.  best thing to do it just ignore them.

Quail!

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 25, 2007, 11:21:31 AM »
You guys will see all sorts of annoying people over the next cycle, fyi.  best thing to do it just ignore them.

Another word to future applicants:

You might very well feel like the OP at some point or another, I know I was.  It was "disappointing" for me to get waitlisted at most of the T14s I applied to, after being used to outright success. 

I thought to myself "Alright, I guess I'll go to Cornell because it's the best option for what I want to do" even though I wasn't happy about it.  Fast forward to a couple months later, and I've fallen in love with Cornell, and couldn't be happier to be going there in the fall (although I'm still holding a couple waitlists) - it just took some time to get over initial disappointment and really see what was waiting for me at Cornell.

Lesson learned:  The initial disappointment will pass, and you might end up happier where you go than you ever thought you could be.  Once your ego heals, you learn what you really value in a school, aside from the rankings.  So just chill out and realize that your #1 choice might change...

Slim

• ummm hmmm.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #373 on: June 25, 2007, 11:41:45 AM »

Another word to future applicants:

You might very well feel like the OP at some point or another, I know I was.  It was "disappointing" for me to get waitlisted at most of the T14s I applied to, after being used to outright success. 

I thought to myself "Alright, I guess I'll go to Cornell because it's the best option for what I want to do" even though I wasn't happy about it.  Fast forward to a couple months later, and I've fallen in love with Cornell, and couldn't be happier to be going there in the fall (although I'm still holding a couple waitlists) - it just took some time to get over initial disappointment and really see what was waiting for me at Cornell.

Lesson learned:  The initial disappointment will pass, and you might end up happier where you go than you ever thought you could be.  Once your ego heals, you learn what you really value in a school, aside from the rankings.  So just chill out and realize that your #1 choice might change...
TITCR :)

« Reply #374 on: June 27, 2007, 01:25:40 AM »
I don't agree w/ the OP, but at the same time I wonder: What's so bad about taking a year off and reapplying if you aren't happy with what you got?

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: June 27, 2007, 07:21:50 AM »
I don't agree w/ the OP, but at the same time I wonder: What's so bad about taking a year off and reapplying if you aren't happy with what you got?

There is nothing bad about it.  The reason this thread sparked outrage was because of the like "I really would be ashamed to attend Mich or Duke."  If you are set on a specific school for academic reasons that is one thing, but this guy just seemed to care about prestige.  Presumably we are all going through this process because we want to be lawyers.  I'm going to go ahead and say that, at least for people getting in to the caliber of schools that the OP was dissing, your ability to become a good lawyer is about 10% what school you go to a 90% your talent.  I believe the message of this thread is to not be blinded by rankings.

Beurre

• coming soon,,
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 27, 2007, 09:31:05 AM »
just one question.

so what is the OP doing right now? Is he going to take a year off?

Slim

• ummm hmmm.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #377 on: June 27, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »

There is nothing bad about it.  The reason this thread sparked outrage was because of the like "I really would be ashamed to attend Mich or Duke."  If you are set on a specific school for academic reasons that is one thing, but this guy just seemed to care about prestige.  Presumably we are all going through this process because we want to be lawyers.  I'm going to go ahead and say that, at least for people getting in to the caliber of schools that the OP was dissing, your ability to become a good lawyer is about 10% what school you go to a 90% your talent.  I believe the message of this thread is to not be blinded by rankings.
That goes for everyone where ever you go.  The presteige of your school only shows what you potential starting point may be the first 3 years out fo L.S. and how fast you'll be able to pay off your L.S. debt.  Good luck if you can't see beyond that.