Law School Discussion

gotten into great schools....but still disappointed. any thoughts?

• View Profile
Re: gotten into great schools....but still disappointed. any thoughts?
« Reply #300 on: February 11, 2007, 11:53:15 AM »
I was really very confused by all of this.  First, because Steve was really into Michigan until Harvard decided to take him (I think late, although I might be wrong about that), and also because I'd never noticed him being a prestige whore at all last cycle. 

Oh, and I have no idea what Cravath is. 

I actually thought we were talking about ties. 

I've always liked Michigan and still do - I was actually into Michigan until NYU gave me money, then into NYU until CLS gave me money, then into H.

Just, because I like a school doesn't mean that I have to unquestioningly spew forth all its virtues without tempering them with some (of what I see as) defects.

I think, for "all intensive purposes", this one sentence justifies every allegation of prestige-whoredom made against Steve, now or in the future.

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 11, 2007, 11:55:00 AM »
I was really very confused by all of this.  First, because Steve was really into Michigan until Harvard decided to take him (I think late, although I might be wrong about that), and also because I'd never noticed him being a prestige whore at all last cycle. 

I've always liked Michigan and still do - I was actually into Michigan until NYU gave me money, then into NYU until CLS gave me money, then into H.

Just, because I like a school doesn't mean that I have to unquestioningly spew forth all its virtues without tempering them with some (of what I see as) defects.

I think, for "all intensive purposes", this one sentence justifies every allegation of prestige-whoredom made against Steve, now or in the future.

You have to admit, there are some pretty intensive purposes out there.

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 11, 2007, 11:56:39 AM »

Just out of curiousity do you think I should have went to Mich over HLS?  Would you?

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #303 on: February 11, 2007, 11:59:27 AM »
Oh dear.  

Let's not even talk about the intensive porpoises.

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 11, 2007, 12:01:18 PM »
Just out of curiousity do you think I should have went to Mich over HLS?  Would you?

Did they Darrow you?

Nope.

Mich - 18k/yr
NYU - 25k/yr
CLS - 20k/yr

Denny Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 11, 2007, 12:01:23 PM »

Did they Darrow you?

sounds kinky.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 11, 2007, 12:01:59 PM »
Archival, you really should take down that "UT Law Class of 2009."  People might think you are showing off. 

Nah, UT is a TTT, just like Michigan.  What drug would you say is most commonly used at UT to take their minds of their horrific post-UT future?  We're making a list.

I'm not sure.  Everyday when I walk to class and pass by the law school, most of the students I see are leaning up against walls, drooling on themselves, and hitting each other on the head with case books.  That doesn't include the ones dressed up in "ghetto" who spend most of their time wielding burnt orange mallets while chasing black people around the school.    

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #307 on: February 11, 2007, 12:02:40 PM »

Did they Darrow you?

sounds kinky.

You have no idea.  Horse isn't our only vice up in these parts.

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 11, 2007, 12:04:23 PM »

I would, actually. But I wouldn't expect anyone else to, you included. I just have a strong affinity for Michigan rooted in my early childhood, and grandiose prestige really isn't very important to me. I also aspire to be educated, from Pre-K through university, JD, LL.M., and S.J.D., entirely by public instututions. So, I'm not a good example.

I think you're still missing the point, though. Nobody begrudges you choosing Harvard. The fact that you so reliably switched preferences on the basis of single ranking in USNews is really pretty disturbing... People here aren't arguing that NO difference exists b/w Mich. and Harvard, but that the difference is not particularly material. They're saying, it's not BIG enough for you to make such a big deal of it. It's a different argument.

Denny Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 11, 2007, 12:06:46 PM »

I would, actually. But I wouldn't expect anyone else to, you included. I just have a strong affinity for Michigan rooted in my early childhood, and grandiose prestige really isn't very important to me. I also aspire to be educated, from Pre-K through university, JD, LL.M., and S.J.D., entirely by public instututions. So, I'm not a good example.

That's really interesting (and not in a prestige-whorish way).  Can I ask why?