Law School Discussion

gotten into great schools....but still disappointed. any thoughts?

ivy07

so far I have gotten into the following schools:

Michigan
Duke
Georgetown
Cornell
Berkeley

And I guess that is ok........but I still feel very down. I guess what I am having a hard time with is that even though I have gotten into good schools, I haven't gotten into any schools I would be *happy* attending, and the only schools that are in that category that I applied to are Penn, Chicago, NYU and Columbia, and I am wl at CLS, so little to no shot. When you are accustomed to a high level of success anything that is even slightly less than stellar feels like a massive disappointment. Its embarrassing to say, but I would really feel slightly ashamed to go to Duke or Mich........sigh, what is wrong with me?

Ollie!

• 1 0f 30: U U D D L R L R B A STRT
    • View Profile
Re: gotten into great schools....but still disappointed. any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 04:47:36 PM »

Michigan
Duke
Georgetown
Cornell
Berkeley

And I guess that is ok........but I still feel very down. I guess what I am having a hard time with is that even though I have gotten into good schools, I haven't gotten into any schools I would be *happy* attending, and the only schools that are in that category that I applied to are Penn, Chicago, NYU and Columbia, and I am wl at CLS, so little to no shot. When you are accustomed to a high level of success anything that is even slightly less than stellar feels like a massive disappointment. Its embarrassing to say, but I would really feel slightly ashamed to go to Duke or Mich........sigh, what is wrong with me?

Small genitalia.

ivy07

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 04:49:24 PM »
yeah, that could be the problem.....

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 04:56:59 PM »

Michigan
Duke
Georgetown
Cornell
Berkeley

yeah I don't know what is wrong with you, but something is wrong.
anyways, I *REALLY* want to go to duke, so if you're not gonna go, why don't you tell them that, ok?

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 04:59:20 PM »
oh you enjoy the rest of your miserable and lonely life...

JTcc

• Such sweet sorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 05:06:14 PM »
I typed "you're an assbag," then I deleted it because I feel the same way you do.  Then I typed it again because I too am an assbag.  

I am beginning to recover from my not-going-to-Columbia malaise by asking whether it was the school I coveted or the name.  I'm looking on the bright side; Michigan used to be in the top 3 and Chicago is the happeningest spot between Terre Haute and Fond du Lac.  If you told me when I was a fetus that I'd be choosing between T14 law schools, I would have said "sweet."  Whatever socially-instilled expectations have seeped into my consciousness since, f*ck 'em.  

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 05:07:21 PM »
I had the same issues when I first started applying.  I've done great in undergrad, pretty much smoked everyone in my class.  Then I got a 165 on the LSAT and was pissed as hell.  "ONLY A 165?!?" I kept thinking.  Its easy to lose perspective when your on this site and it seems like more than half the people have 170+.  But after a while I started to realize 165 was a major accomplishment being in the top 10%.  Some people cant even get into a single law school.  Some of my friends who dreamed about going got 140s.  This is what I've wanted to do my entire life.  And I'm fortunate enough to actually have the chance to do it.  There are a ton of people that dont have the money and/or grades to go to law school.  You should realize how lucky you are to have the chance you have.  If your having trouble grasping this happiness, then law is probably not truly what you want to do.  

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 05:08:14 PM »
I think I speak for most rational people here when I say:

GET OVER YOURSELF

Its not like Boalt grads are waiting tables for a living.

Think long and hard about why you would not be happy to attend any of those schools. It probably boils down to snobbery.

Of course there is the possibility the post is just a troll...

Journeyman

• The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 05:15:58 PM »
You got into Georgetown and you are pissed...I hate you...

(Not really, but you get the point)   >:(

PS...I would throw the party of the century if I got into Georgetown, and I too am used to a bit of success in my life.

'tiki

• Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 05:23:43 PM »
First, congrats to the OP. I can sort of understand what the OP is saying. The schools s/he has gotten into are not just ok, though; they are great. That said, I think everyone has these feelings when they do not get into one of their #1 choices, so I can see the disappointment there. I mean dream schools are "dreams" for a reason. It is these sort of thoughts/feelings that are genuine and not arrogant but at the same time can come off as the opposite. Anyways, best of luck.