Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need Access Question  (Read 978 times)

ipso facto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Need Access Question
« on: February 07, 2007, 06:45:35 PM »
Trying to fill out the Need Access form right now. I am paying for law school on my own, but I have been a dependant in the past few years, so I need to supply parental information. My parents have been divorced since I was two, one clears around $500,000 a year, the other one $30,000. Since they have been divorced for more than 5 years, I only have to enter one parents information. So my question is: Am I correct in assuming that if both my parents were pretty equal in terms of supporting me as a child, I can pick either one?

It would obviously be helpful to me if I can list the parent who makes 30 grand as opposed to the other one.
I was talking to preachy preach about kissy kiss...

Michigan Law 2010

TerribleTTTowel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Need Access Question
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 06:49:37 PM »
I would think you put both.

Kencade

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self tar up only for ASW purposes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 09:50:24 AM »
Another need access question (sorry, don't mean to hijack, but thought this was better than starting a new thread)

What the heck are we supposed to do on Need Access if we are applying to PT and FT programs? The answers to many of the employment and income questions are obviously contingent on whether a student is in school FT (in which case academic year wages and such = 0) or in school PT (in which case >0). I am applying to PT and FT programs, and while my preference is GULC's PT program, I will be sending Need Access to schools where I am applying PT and schools where I am applying FT. I don't want to appear disingenious, so what the hell do I do?

I talked to my mother a little about this since she's a college enrollment counselor at a High School.  She fills out these things all the time.  Anyway, she said that if you're not sure, estimate the way that will be more attractive for getting $ (ie - less income) and then put a comment in the place at the end of the section where it lets you put remarks, "Income information subject to change based on full-time vs. part-time enrollment".

This isn't unethical since you are just being honest based on the limited information you have at this time.

Dukestarbored

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 09:46:49 AM »
Does anyone know how I am supposed to estimate my 2007 earnings? I mean, I could lose my job tomorrow and make a fraction of what I put down.  I hate this f-ing thing.

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 04:35:10 AM »
Does anyone know how I am supposed to estimate my 2007 earnings? I mean, I could lose my job tomorrow and make a fraction of what I put down.  I hate this f-ing thing.

I'm putting $0. I won't be working during school, and I'm not arrogant enough to assume I'll have a paying job after 1L.
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

Edna St. Vincent Millay

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Portrait of a Poetess"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 10:10:57 AM »
I'm putting $0. I won't be working during school, and I'm not arrogant enough to assume I'll have a paying job after 1L.

are you not working now?
Flight of the Conchords

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11067696

Northwestern 2010.

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 02:29:15 PM »

are you not working now?

Yes, but I clearly won't have the same job for the second half of 2007. So, I guess I won't be putting 0, but just what I earn until I go to school. So, yeah, never mind what I said, I'm a moron.
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

Edna St. Vincent Millay

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Portrait of a Poetess"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 03:12:33 PM »
the Need Access form does that to you.
Flight of the Conchords

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11067696

Northwestern 2010.

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 04:35:14 PM »
the Need Access form does that to you.

TITMFCR

LSN</