Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Albany Law School, 155 LSAT  (Read 2313 times)

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
Re: Albany Law School, 155 LSAT
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 10:52:25 AM »

The school itself is great!  The professors are really good and really care about the students.  Its a small community and everyone gets to know eachother. You get to know the Deans and most of the professors - if not by name, then by face.  I guess you could say its kind of like High School - although, from my friends at other NYC law schools, most law schools are like this.

I hear this a lot about law school.  Does that mean there's a lot of gossip and stuff?  I've heard this about damn near every law school.
Yale.Law.School.2010

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 02:11:21 PM »
Hey these are some great posts.  Thanks a lot.

Regarding Albany's LRPA program, the website states that grads working in the public sector (i.e. government, non-profit, etc...) can qualify for up to 10K a year loan forgiveness in the form of a check for the first three years of practice after graduation, provided you make under a certain amount.  I guess that means that at most, one can get a total of 30K back within the first three years of practice.  Now Albany's 32K a year, so figure at most 35K after books and fees, so 105K for the whole ride.  Now, I know that Albany's damn cheap to live in (I live in Providence, which is a tad more expensive but still reasonable), especially compared to NYC.  So it's attractive, especially since some of these posts say that Albany grads do indeed make it to NYC.

I see that Buffalo does rank in the Top 100, while Albany is a mid-to-high tier 3, but I don't think that the difference is that substantial at that point.  The proximity to state government/courts should make up for it.  Besides, couldn't it be that the only reason that Albany (& Syracuse, for that matter) is tier-3 is because EVERYONE wants to live in NYC, so it kinda pulls the more competitive applicants to schools like Brooklyn, St. John's and Rutgers Newark, to a degree?  I certainly could be mistaken but that's how I see it.
Albany Law School Class of 2010

button127

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 12:01:45 AM »
Bubbaz,

I read somewheres that Albany could possibly move into the T2 category in the upcoming rankings (speaking which when do they come out? April?). Coupled with the new bar pass rate that you posted I'm wondering if it will have a big impact having Albany on the title of your JD degree.

I'm pretty confident that I'll qualify for need based aid (mom only makes like 30k a year with 4 other siblings in my fam), but the horror stories of people coming out of t3, and t4 schools and being crushed underneath debt is scary. Plus I have about 30-40k already in UG debt.

Bubbazzz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 11:27:27 PM »
honestly, i think people are splitting hairs when it comes to T2 vs. T3 and the job prospects it gives.  Albany law is albany law.  It has a solid reputation despite its place in T3 - even if it moves up to T2 (which I think will happen soon), the impact it will have on jobs will be minimal. 

I would not make your decision to come to albany law based on the whole rankings hoopla. come to albany because it is a solid school where you WILL learn how to be a lawyer, learn new york practice from the foremost authorities in the state, and learn from professors who honestly care about their students.

About the need-based aid - I had an EFC of 0.  I got no aid - just a bunch of loans.

button127

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 11:58:41 PM »
an EFC of zero and got nothing? damn

but were you claiming yourself as an independent because unless you were for a number of years before then I think they still look at your parents info.

I think I'll be sending my seat deposit in soon :)

fruitopia

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2007, 07:45:26 AM »
an EFC of zero and got nothing? damn

but were you claiming yourself as an independent because unless you were for a number of years before then I think they still look at your parents info.

I think I'll be sending my seat deposit in soon :)

If you're going to grad school, you're claiming yourself as independent by default, from what I understand.

button127

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2007, 11:00:15 AM »
Hmm, I'll have to check that. I know my mother claimed me this year on her taxes.

button127

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2007, 01:46:27 PM »
If you're going to grad school, you're claiming yourself as independent by default, from what I understand.

Crap you're right, I didn't realize that independent and dependent are different when it comes to education stuff like FAFSA vs taxes and such. I just got done filling out my FAFSA a little while ago.