Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Albany Law School, 155 LSAT  (Read 2294 times)

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
Re: Albany Law School, 155 LSAT
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 01:10:03 PM »
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on Albany Law School, which I've applied to for the Fall 2007. As I understand it, it's the oldest private law school in the U.S., with great trial and and clinical programs.  I'm also interested in their generous (at least I think so) LRA program, as well as the proximity to state courts/government.

Any insight into the quality of education there?  Also, how's the network into New York City?  As it stands, with a 155 LSAT, Albany and Suffolk are my safety schools, compared with St. John's, Rutgers Newark, Depaul, John Marshall, Loyola Chicago, and U. Wisconsin.  Thanks.

Not sure about that one (Harvard is the oldest law school in continuous operation, and it's private, so...

What was meant was that Albany is the oldest independent law school in the country. This is true.

Oh ok, yes then, though it has affiliations w/ Union University.

Also true. They still elect to call themselves the "oldest" and "independent," regardless of exactly how true that is.

I'm considering Albany and Buffalo, as I don't really have an interest (currently) of leaving New York state. Would you have any opinion on the choice (as you seemed to know a bit about Albany)? I've been told by professors that Albany, as you said, has an extensive network of judges and DAs and such (I'm in Rochester). Buffalo is higher ranked, but I figure the difference is negligible, since they're both toward the lower end anyhow. Still waiting to hear from Cardozo, who is just blatantly torturing me at this point.

Don't know much at all about Buffalo, though I think their grads tend to stay upstate more so than Albany grads, many of whom make their way down to NYC. 

They're both of comparable size, though if cost is a significant factor for you, Buffalo is much less expensive, even if you're an out-of-stater.

It's best to take a look at their LSAC profiles for more information, if you have already done so.

Albany: http://officialguide.lsac.org/OFFGUIDE/CGI-BIN/OFFGUIDE.ASP?sid=003&item=main

Buffalo: http://officialguide.lsac.org/OFFGUIDE/CGI-BIN/OFFGUIDE.ASP?sid=099&item=main
Yale.Law.School.2010

fruitopia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 01:14:06 PM »
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on Albany Law School, which I've applied to for the Fall 2007. As I understand it, it's the oldest private law school in the U.S., with great trial and and clinical programs.  I'm also interested in their generous (at least I think so) LRA program, as well as the proximity to state courts/government.

Any insight into the quality of education there?  Also, how's the network into New York City?  As it stands, with a 155 LSAT, Albany and Suffolk are my safety schools, compared with St. John's, Rutgers Newark, Depaul, John Marshall, Loyola Chicago, and U. Wisconsin.  Thanks.

Not sure about that one (Harvard is the oldest law school in continuous operation, and it's private, so...

What was meant was that Albany is the oldest independent law school in the country. This is true.

Oh ok, yes then, though it has affiliations w/ Union University.

Also true. They still elect to call themselves the "oldest" and "independent," regardless of exactly how true that is.

I'm considering Albany and Buffalo, as I don't really have an interest (currently) of leaving New York state. Would you have any opinion on the choice (as you seemed to know a bit about Albany)? I've been told by professors that Albany, as you said, has an extensive network of judges and DAs and such (I'm in Rochester). Buffalo is higher ranked, but I figure the difference is negligible, since they're both toward the lower end anyhow. Still waiting to hear from Cardozo, who is just blatantly torturing me at this point.

Don't know much at all about Buffalo, though I think their grads tend to stay upstate more so than Albany grads, many of whom make their way down to NYC. 

Actually, funny thing is, Albany is offering me 18K a year (stay in top 1/2 of class), while Buffalo's only offering 2K a year (I assume because they're a state school?), so the  initial cost comes out about the same. I guess more differences pop up with scrutiny (I'm told Albany has higher COL than does Amherst/Buffalo).

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 01:16:22 PM »

Actually, funny thing is, Albany is offering me 18K a year (stay in top 1/2 of class), while Buffalo's only offering 2K a year (I assume because they're a state school?), so the  initial cost comes out about the same. I guess more differences pop up with scrutiny (I'm told Albany has higher COL than does Amherst/Buffalo).

Are you in-state?  If so, that scholarship, however small, would still tip the scales in Buffalo's favor.  I can't speak to much about the CoL of either place.  They're both going to be much less expensive than living in NYC and attending Cardozo. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

fruitopia

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 01:20:41 PM »
[
Are you in-state?  If so, that scholarship, however small, would still tip the scales in Buffalo's favor.  I can't speak to much about the CoL of either place.  They're both going to be much less expensive than living in NYC and attending Cardozo. 

Yeah, in-state. The tuition at Buffalo is surprisingly low (or lower than Albany's at least). I doubt I would get any merit based aid from Cardozo if I got accepted, and so I would be living off pure loans for the next 3 years. The prospect of going there is exciting but I don't think I can stomach the resulting financial burden compared to the other two schools.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 01:53:47 PM »
[

Yeah, in-state. The tuition at Buffalo is surprisingly low (or lower than Albany's at least). I doubt I would get any merit based aid from Cardozo if I got accepted, and so I would be living off pure loans for the next 3 years. The prospect of going there is exciting but I don't think I can stomach the resulting financial burden compared to the other two schools.

Do you think you'd be able to qualify for need-based aid?  Cardozo has more financial resources than either Buffalo or Albany (thanks to all those BIGLAW connections), and I'm sure if you qualify for aid they'd be able to send some your way.  I can totally understand the thought of debt looming over some of the choices though.  Considering you're planning on remaining in New York State, you'd be fine graduating from any of these schools (if you plan on living in upstate NY and pursuing your career there, you might be a little better off going to Albany/Buffalo anyway because of their extensive upstate alumni network). 
Yale.Law.School.2010

OConnorScribe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 03:22:17 PM »
Well, I'm offically in at Albany -- and waitlisted at Buffalo, for what's it's worth.

In terms of money, did Albany offer you that $18K scholarship in the acceptance letter, or did that come later? My acceptance letter made no mention of merit awards. Not that I expect a handout, but it would be nice. Tis why I'm expressing continued interest at Buffalo; $30K per year in loans vs. $10K in loans marks a big difference. 

Pace '10

Bubbazzz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007, 07:18:09 PM »
I'm a 3L at Albany - feel free to ask any questions.

Regarding cost of living - i'd say that Buffalo is a little cheaper than albany. Although, albany is still pretty damn cheap - 1 bedroom averages 575-675 a month. 

Just something to know - our bar passage rate went up to like 88% this past July. 

button127

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007, 09:31:02 PM »
I'm a 3L at Albany - feel free to ask any questions.

Regarding cost of living - i'd say that Buffalo is a little cheaper than albany. Although, albany is still pretty damn cheap - 1 bedroom averages 575-675 a month. 

Just something to know - our bar passage rate went up to like 88% this past July. 

Bubbaz any info you can throw out our way would be greatly appreciated. How's the school overall, classes, professors, etc... How is Albany with need-based fin aid? Pros/Cons in your opinion? Anything is a help :)

fruitopia

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007, 10:56:35 PM »
Well, I'm offically in at Albany -- and waitlisted at Buffalo, for what's it's worth.

In terms of money, did Albany offer you that $18K scholarship in the acceptance letter, or did that come later? My acceptance letter made no mention of merit awards. Not that I expect a handout, but it would be nice. Tis why I'm expressing continued interest at Buffalo; $30K per year in loans vs. $10K in loans marks a big difference. 

No, it didn't come in the acceptance -- it was a separate letter a couple weeks later, so you could still certainly be getting something merit-based. Yeah, there's a huge difference between Buffalo and Albany in terms of just tuition, and an even bigger one if you're already a NY resident and get in-state tuition rates from Buffalo.

Bubba, definitely, any info you can give us would be helpful. In general, are you happy in Albany (living, the school itself, prospects, profs, etc.)? As someone else asked, how are they with need-based aid? If I could get another couple grand knocked off, that would probably seal the deal for me.

Bubbazzz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 01:13:01 AM »
Call the financial aid office and ask about the need-based aid.  I never got any - all loans for me. 

Job prospects are what you would think they are at a T3.  Top 10% get $$$, the rest have to hunt.  Thats typical for any school in new york though, especially if u want to get a gig in NYC. I have a couple friends at Brooklyn Law who are having tough times finding jobs. It really is all about networking - it sounds cliche, i know.  You may hear a bunch of crap on here about how if you want to work in NYC, its best to go to a school in NYC.  This is true to some degree obviously.  That is not to say it is impossible to get a job in manhattan - I did every summer, and my grades are average.  You just have to do your own legwork and not depend on the career center.  They tend to focus only on firms in the capital region.

I'm not gonna lie, Albany, itself, aint that pretty.  There is enough to do though to keep you busy on ur down time.  Bars, museums, Washington Park, etc.  Notice I said Bars first.  The thing is though, there isn't much down time, especially first year. So the fact that its 5 degrees out and nowhere to go may actually help you focus on your work - I know it did with me.

The school itself is great!  The professors are really good and really care about the students.  Its a small community and everyone gets to know eachother. You get to know the Deans and most of the professors - if not by name, then by face.  I guess you could say its kind of like High School - although, from my friends at other NYC law schools, most law schools are like this.