Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Albany Law School, 155 LSAT  (Read 2267 times)

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Albany Law School, 155 LSAT
« on: February 07, 2007, 02:03:16 PM »
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on Albany Law School, which I've applied to for the Fall 2007.  As I understand it, it's the oldest private law school in the U.S., with great trial and and clinical programs.  I'm also interested in their generous (at least I think so) LRA program, as well as the proximity to state courts/government.

Any insight into the quality of education there?  Also, how's the network into New York City?  As it stands, with a 155 LSAT, Albany and Suffolk are my safety schools, compared with St. John's, Rutgers Newark, Depaul, John Marshall, Loyola Chicago, and U. Wisconsin.  Thanks.
Albany Law School Class of 2010

OConnorScribe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Albany Law School, 155 LSAT
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 03:42:52 PM »
In the same boat as you. Expecting a decision from Albany any day now (they tell me it's in the mail; of course, they don't tell me what exactly to expect via phone. Oh well). The one thing I've noticed in the little bit of research I've done so far: a siginificant percentage of the school's faculty earned their J.D.s from Albany. Is it a good thing for a faculty to be so tied to its alma mater?

Otherwise, I am intrigued by them. One of the most appealing things for me is that their placement data shows that a quarter of the graduates go into some sort of governmental law (municipal, state politics, criminal). The school also is affiliated with Union College; an uncle is a graduate, and the school has an excellent reputation in the Northeast US).

I;ve always thought that Albany is an underrated area. There's obviously a good measure of news happening, plus it sits in a lovely area with a lot to do within it (the Berkshires sit less than an hour to the east, for instance).

That said, I do wonder how attractive the school is to legal community at large.
Pace '10

button127

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 01:46:26 AM »
bump...

Just got accepted to Albany and will most likely be attending in the Fall :)

I'd love to hear more reviews about the school and any other info out there.

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 06:10:08 AM »
Button, when did your become complete at Albany?
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

OConnorScribe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 09:37:01 AM »
Supposedly, my deicison is in the mail and en route. I went complete on Jan. 17, and they actually attempted to send out the decision last week and had gotten the address wrong. I expect I have gained acceptance, but the short turnaround makes me somewhat nervous.
Pace '10

button127

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 07:20:26 PM »
Button, when did your become complete at Albany?

My app was sent on 12/1 and I received the response in the mail on 2/06, large envelope. Did you try calling them to see if a decision had been made?

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 11:54:56 PM »
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on Albany Law School, which I've applied to for the Fall 2007.  As I understand it, it's the oldest private law school in the U.S., with great trial and and clinical programs.  I'm also interested in their generous (at least I think so) LRA program, as well as the proximity to state courts/government.

Any insight into the quality of education there?  Also, how's the network into New York City?  As it stands, with a 155 LSAT, Albany and Suffolk are my safety schools, compared with St. John's, Rutgers Newark, Depaul, John Marshall, Loyola Chicago, and U. Wisconsin.  Thanks.

Not sure about that one (Harvard is the oldest law school in continuous operation, and it's private, so...

Anyway, my cousin went to and graduated from Albany Law.  She got a great education there.  Not sure if she participated in any clinics, but I do know she was able to make some great connections.  Albany is particularly strong if you are interested in New York State politics or working in New York, especially upstate.  There is a sizeable alumni population in New York, and many New York area judges went to Albany.

That being said, the Albany name has little portability the further away from New York you go.  Also, my cousin's first job out of law school was as an ADA in Queens, and to the best of my knowledge she received no kind of financial assistance from Albany after graduation (she still has about 40,000 in loans to pay off, and she's been out of law school for about 6 or 7 years).  I would definitely be a little wary about LRAP programs at schools with very limited financial resources.  Albany is not a rich school.  Just something to keep in mind.
Yale.Law.School.2010

fruitopia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 12:51:32 PM »
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on Albany Law School, which I've applied to for the Fall 2007. As I understand it, it's the oldest private law school in the U.S., with great trial and and clinical programs.  I'm also interested in their generous (at least I think so) LRA program, as well as the proximity to state courts/government.

Not sure about that one (Harvard is the oldest law school in continuous operation, and it's private, so...

What was meant was that Albany is the oldest independent law school in the country. This is true.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 12:52:35 PM »
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on Albany Law School, which I've applied to for the Fall 2007. As I understand it, it's the oldest private law school in the U.S., with great trial and and clinical programs.  I'm also interested in their generous (at least I think so) LRA program, as well as the proximity to state courts/government.

What was meant was that Albany is the oldest independent law school in the country. This is true.

Oh ok, yes then, though it has affiliations w/ Union University.
Yale.Law.School.2010

fruitopia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 12:58:30 PM »

Oh ok, yes then, though it has affiliations w/ Union University.

Also true. They still elect to call themselves the "oldest" and "independent," regardless of exactly how true that is.

I'm considering Albany and Buffalo, as I don't really have an interest (currently) of leaving New York state. Would you have any opinion on the choice (as you seemed to know a bit about Albany)? I've been told by professors that Albany, as you said, has an extensive network of judges and DAs and such (I'm in Rochester). Buffalo is higher ranked, but I figure the difference is negligible, since they're both toward the lower end anyhow. Still waiting to hear from Cardozo, who is just blatantly torturing me at this point.