Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: berkeley wait list  (Read 3871 times)

ruskiegirl

Re: berkeley wait list
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 01:43:42 PM »
Actually, I think that no news is good news at this point.  Most schools have already sent out at least a couple of rounds of rejection letters. So, no news most likely means you are still in the game.

I applied to 15 schools and have only heard back from four. (I went complete in early January.)  No dings thus far, so I assume that I have survived at least the preliminary cuts and made it into the "maybe" pile.

romancingthestone

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2004, 02:35:30 PM »
Very optimistic.  Thanks for the positive interpretation, but I'm pretty sure I won't get into these schools.

romancingthestone

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2004, 04:10:03 PM »
Okay, just kidding.  Official word today: waitlist.  I can officially join the ranks of purgatory now.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2004, 09:31:18 PM »
See?  It all worked out.  According to Berkeley only 37% of the 700 or so admitted actually accept.  So there is definitely room for hope.

The only bad thing is that they don't require deposits.  Their acceptances of admission are done on the honor system. They ask that once you "definitely accept" their invitation, you remove yourself from all other waitlists and withdraw any pending applications.  I fear that without the monetary incentive, some will decide to "work the system." 

Good luck anyways.

caliboy888

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2004, 10:24:46 PM »
just got my wl letter.

3.82/172

Sweetness, looked at your profile at law school numbers. I think it shows some of the idiosyncracies of Boalt's admissions. I got in with 3.68/172 but was deferred (soon to be rejected, I think) at Harvard, where you've been accepted.

Now that I'm 4 years out of undergrad, I think I brought to the table some interesting work experiences (in NYC and abroad in China), which I integrated into my personal statement.

So yes, good personal statements and work experience can help. I seriously doubt that I would've been admitted straight out of undergrad.

sweetness

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2004, 12:28:21 AM »
caliboy,

Thanks for the good words.  Boalt's certainly hard to predict.  They've got such a small class that they can pretty much do what they want.  I wasn't too surprised that I was waitlisted - my extracurriculars from college were quite good, and I have an MA, but I've only been out of school for a year.  Also, I applied quite late - close to Boalt's deadline, when I imagine most of the class was filled.  My best hope was being in state, but so many CA people want to stay here, I don't think that helps much.

Good luck at Harvard, if you want to go there.  I think you certainly have a good chance with your WE, especially considering they're pretty LSAT-heavy.

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2004, 10:33:08 PM »
I am also on Boalt's lovely list.  Interesting that they dropped 3 ranks in the new US News rankings.  Has anyone heard any buzz on past years? Do you think there is any hope for us?   :D
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2004, 04:14:25 PM »
So have you all received the email?  300 people on waitlist...that seems extremely excessive........
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2004, 07:14:06 PM »
wow that's a lot.  i think boalt also accepted a greater number of people this year than previous years.  for a class of about 240, there were a lot of admitted students there for admit day.  i did hear somewhere that only about 40% of those accepted end up going to boalt.  so...there'll be room it seems :)  goodluck!
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

sacandblue

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2004, 10:26:22 PM »
Jesus what a nightmare!
waitlisted at Berkeley and Davis, my arm's broken and I'm stuck in Korea.

oh well, got into USF and SCU. 

question: How can they waitlist someone w/ a 4.0 GPA who worked 70+/hrs a week?
just venting, no biggie.

I don't know if I should go with USF or Santa Clara.
any clue which is better?
I get feeling that SCU is slightly better, but SF just finished the Koret law center and they offered me over $17K in finacial aid (no package from SCU yet).