Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting a U.S Student Visa - An Overview  (Read 5795 times)

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a U.S Student Visa - An Overview
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 11:03:15 PM »
Figured I would ask this here....

I just saw something today on the UCLA website about visas that worried me a bit. It said that after your degree and a year of practical training, you have 60 days to leave the US. Does that mean you have to leave even if you have a job? Or if you get a job (and presumably a work visa / green card) does that requirement to leave just vanish?

If you have a job, then you don't have to worry.  However, if you're a Canadian citizen and not a US citizen, then you need to get your NAFTA visa so you can work in the US.  That expires yearly.

You can get the T-1 and renew it every year (but I think you have to travel to Canada and then re-enter) or you can get an H-1 like the rest of us :D  It's good for 3 years and renewable for 3 more (plus every year after that if a green card is pending).  You employer will likely petition for your green card once you begin working, which for JDs will take about 2 years, give or take a year.

hope I helped
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 11:11:42 PM »
HB-1s are difficult to get, and probably won't be your first stab at it.  It costs your employed a nice sum, and there are a limited number of HB-1s available per year.  But it does afford you 3 safe years.

You do have to exit and enter for the T-1, generally, although I think there are loopholes around that.  In any case, as long as you have a job, you'll be able to stay in the US.  It's that simple.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 11:36:01 PM »
Don't forget your 12 months of OPT.

What is Optional Practical Training?
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is temporary employment authorization that gives F-1 students an opportunity to apply knowledge gained in the classroom to a practical work experience off campus. You may use some or all of the available 12 months of practical training during your course of study or save the full twelve months to use after you complete your studies.

So, wouldn't you not have to worry about a visa until ~9 months after you graduate-- assuming 3 months used up your 2L summer?

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 11:48:10 PM »
It's very simple.  If you have a job, you're safe.  If you don't have a job, you're living on borrowed time (your CPT or OPT, which adds up to a year, max).

But you can imagine what a hassle it would be to have to move out of the country and then have to move back again.  It's nothing to panic about, but it could be a major pain in the ass.

;D
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 12:17:33 AM »
I'm so confused. What do I need now for schol? That's what i'm most ocncerned about right now.
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 12:18:56 AM »
What do you mean, "What do I need"?

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2007, 12:32:45 AM »
What do you mean, "What do I need"?

I mean, for now I just need a F right?
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2007, 12:35:44 AM »
F-1 visa?  Yes, basically.  Go read the US customs website (I think it's that one).  It's pretty user-friendly. 

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2007, 02:49:26 AM »
Yes, you will need an F-1. For this, you need - at least - a formal letter of acceptance, and proof of sufficient funds. You must also show some substantial ties to Canada; something that would make you come back and not escape to the US wilderness. They ask for an address, usually. It can be your parents. 'Substantial ties' is rather broad.

And get ready for stupid questions like "why do you want to study US law"? And you must absolutely not tell them that you plan on staying in the US afterwards. You are there for studies, and then you come back.
Penn (2007)

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2007, 01:47:30 PM »
It's very simple.  If you have a job, you're safe.  If you don't have a job, you're living on borrowed time (your CPT or OPT, which adds up to a year, max).

But you can imagine what a hassle it would be to have to move out of the country and then have to move back again.  It's nothing to panic about, but it could be a major pain in the ass.

;D

Haha, sorry, I missed that post.  I don't think you can stay in the country on OPT if you're not working, however.