Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting a U.S Student Visa - An Overview  (Read 5979 times)

MorningStar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Getting a U.S Student Visa - An Overview
« on: February 06, 2007, 05:55:47 PM »
Hi guys!

I was browsing the Oh Canada! board and it occured to me that a post had yet to be established outlining the steps and pertinent information associated with obtaining a U.S student visa. 

If anyone has any experience with where you apply, how long it takes, requirements, cost, etc. your input would be much appreciated and would likely be of use to many people (including myself). 

I'm in the process of researching the issue and will add information as I obtain it if nobody else posts.

Thanks

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Getting a U.S Student Visa - An Overview
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 08:49:48 PM »
I believe you need your letter of acceptance, the I-94, and the financial documentation. And then show up at the border. Did you check the USCIS website?
Penn (2007)

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 09:18:02 PM »
I think gilles is right.  The USCIS website (or something similar) has detailed information regarding this.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

ButImAGilmore

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fight On!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 09:20:51 PM »
Figured I would ask this here....

I just saw something today on the UCLA website about visas that worried me a bit. It said that after your degree and a year of practical training, you have 60 days to leave the US. Does that mean you have to leave even if you have a job? Or if you get a job (and presumably a work visa / green card) does that requirement to leave just vanish?
A baby Trojan is born...

USC 2010!

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 09:22:49 PM »

I just saw something today on the UCLA website about visas that worried me a bit. It said that after your degree and a year of practical training, you have 60 days to leave the US. Does that mean you have to leave even if you have a job? Or if you get a job (and presumably a work visa / green card) does that requirement to leave just vanish?

If you have a job, then you don't have to worry.  However, if you're a Canadian citizen and not a US citizen, then you need to get your NAFTA visa so you can work in the US.  That expires yearly.

The 60 days is an "evacuation" period.  That means that, once your time's up, they'll give you 60 days to pack all your *&^% and get the hell out of their country.  After that, you go to jail or get shipped out whether your stuff is still in the States or not.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 09:29:54 PM »

If you have a job, then you don't have to worry.  However, if you're a Canadian citizen and not a US citizen, then you need to get your NAFTA visa so you can work in the US.  That expires yearly.

The 60 days is an "evacuation" period.  That means that, once your time's up, they'll give you 60 days to pack all your sh*t and get the hell out of their country.  After that, you go to jail or get shipped out whether your stuff is still in the States or not.

That sounds ridiculously more scary than it really is. I mean, as a Canadian citizen, I can pack all my *&^% up, go back to Canada, and come back to the US the next day no? I guess it'll be more important for us to find a job quickly after graduation.
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 09:32:13 PM »
It's very simple.  If you have a job, you're safe.  If you don't have a job, you're living on borrowed time (your CPT or OPT, which adds up to a year, max).

But you can imagine what a hassle it would be to have to move out of the country and then have to move back again.  It's nothing to panic about, but it could be a major pain in the ass.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 10:44:08 PM »
Don't compound my frustrations.   >:(

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 10:52:18 PM »
Don't compound my frustrations.   >:(

sorry d-dub out
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 10:57:39 PM »
 :D :D :D